Sony NEX?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ting, Jun 3, 2010.

1. ting

ting New to Mu-43

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi,

I'm not sure about this, but do the new Sony NEXes count as :43:s?

Do you think they're comparable with the Oly and Panasonic :43:s? (Prices are a LOT cheaper than previous launch prices)

Will anyone be ditching their PENs and Gs for NEXes soon? :biggrin:

(I apologize if this is in the wrong section!)

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    They are not m4/3 cameras. The price is dropping before release.
    I wouldn't buy one and would not dump a Pen for it.
    Besides, they're ugly!

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I ordered one, I'm a small camera nut. It will be limited due to no EVF and Sony wants $195 for an optical VF. But it should be a fun camera.

4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    What makes a camera a m4/3 is the mount in combination with the sensor. m4/3 cameras have a mirrorless mount that works with a roughly 4/3 sensor. The NEX cameras have a different mirrorless mount in front of a larger APS-C sensor. The two are not compatible.

Personally I have no interest in the NEX cameras. I can't say I have much interest in the compact m4/3 bodies like the GF and E-PENs either, but if I did I'd get one of those over a NEX any day (smaller system lenses). I'm quite happy with my GH1, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next generation GH body.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the nex is a very sad missed opportunity

sony did an incredible job of making the body small ....too small ....there is an awkward and plainly incongruous relationship between the camera body and the lenses ..... sony believes this is the future and this is at least the third time they have tried to popularize this body lens arrangement and imho the third time they failed ,

make no mistake the reason that they developed the nex was because of olys and pannys success with m4\3
    sadly they looked and emulated , they heard the loud criticism of cheap plastic lens housings and responded with beautifully machined metal housings , they copied the m4\3 paradigm of small solution wiith big sensor s...but they fell flat with the most important things.....nex is an operational nightmare essential things are buried deep in menus that require 20 or more button pushes..... simple things are an absurd distance from the user and simply not available in real time , read the reviews of this bizarre situation....

"a real camera need "film type'" [bw color] iso, exposure comp,, and M P S A Video , shutter speed and f stop .a button push and a dial turn away , sony has failed Miserably here secondly the major criticism is lack of intigrated evf , consumers want this and they want this intergrated in a rangefinder styled body , the cognatively challenged at sony are clueless or indifferent to this trueism as well. they had all the room to give an evf and a normal control solution , but incrediblely have chosen not to showing utter contempt to real photographers who want a real camera

they could have created a machine like the contax g1 with and intergrated evf and a short flange to allow use of legacy glass, they would have turned the photographiic world upside down and earned the admiration and and respect of the entire marketplace and internet enthuesist community and could have owned the camera market with this
    a small body that take pro calibre lenses ,with a requisite "green" mode for novices ,and full and well placed manual A\S\ priority and M ability for the rest of us
    .....but being sony they did not , very very sad

lastly , as shooter points out ...............its ugly

• Like Like x 6
  6. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    Half the experience is what it is capable of, the other half is how to use it. I haven't held the camera and shot with it, but from what I've read the actual ease of use of it is really jumbled.

I could live with its looks if the shots were worth it, but I wouldn't live with the shots if the camera was a PITA to use.

7. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    could have "created a machine like the contax g1"

My wildest dreams. Somebody's gonna do it. And I am buying up the lenses now.

Bokeh D.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    I've held a NEX. The big difference between the lens size vs. the body size really jars. It's an odd combo. In real terms u43 ends up being a smaller package. The main thing I look forward to with NEX is driving down u43 prices with a bit of competition :)

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I think the NEX will give both Olympus and Panasonic cause to think. If Sony got the body size that small, then it's not a big leap to make the body back to Pen/GF size and incorporate a built in EVF. That, I think, is coming and will move the goal posts once again. I just hope it doesn't take too long in coming.

Cheers

Ray

10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I don't think it will come from Sony; they have a long history of being the single most idiotic and stubborn manufacturer on the market. They can come with a good product or design by chance from time to time, but when they don't they still entrench themselves in their design mistakes and refuse to face reality and even market pressure, pounding relentlessly said market with the same inept design over and over again. Think of what they had as a mp3 player to face the iPod; did the obviously superior Apple product made them think twice ? Nope. They tried again and again, failed each time, and then threw the towel. From the ergonomics POV, Nex is stillborn and will stay that way, I'm betting on that. The format might live on, but on camcorders.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Some poor expression on my part. I meant that Olympus and Panasonic are likely the ones to bring out the in-body EVF in a camera not much bigger, if at all, than the current Pen/GF. But hopefully it won't take too long.

Cheers

Ray

12. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Sony should have come out with a digital Hexar AF. They have the Konica/ Minolta data and info, why not utilize it :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  13. FaradayCage

FaradayCage Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    You know, the sole reason I bought an E-PL1 was to reuse my Contax G lenses.

• Like Like x 2