'Sony NEX Full Frame Coming'

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Fact #1: I respect the attachement to OVFs, I ejnoy very much the HUGE viewfinders on my OM analog cameras. But this is a digital medium and it (we) have to grow up at some point. EVFs and Live Views in general are the future, period.

Which of this is the "fact"?

I don't really think you have ever used a "huge" viewfinder if the the largest viewfinder you have used is 35mm.

There is no reason to use an EVF just because the media is digital.

I think the term "grow up" is a little condescending. Just because you have a personal preference, does not mean that is THE right thing to do.

I hate to point out the obvious--the EVF and Live View is not the "future" as both those technologies are here now and have been around for some time. Also, photography is a creative pursuit and the equipment used is part of the equation. Had you had more experience would would understand that EFVs and Live View is not the be-all and end-all of viewfinder methods. I know you really like this EVF stuff, but others don't find it that impressive.

I think the only "fact" here is that you simply made a personal statement.

BTW, you have never "needed" a DSLR to shoot fast action.

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
I think the only "fact" here is that you simply made a personal statement.

No. I think the "fact" here is that you have to try a little harder to stop making ad hominem attacks against me. This is not the first time it's happening and I'm not going to tolerate it anymore.

Yeah, please allow me to have MY personal opinion and not yours. Now, exactly what part of "IMHO, YMMV" in my post you don't understand. Seriously.

Mu-43 Legend
You know, I made a reference to this solution on my latest blog post, and I have to admit I was feeling awkward even having to form it in words. It seems so logical that it almost hurts to imagine that Olympus would go some other way instead.

Always IMHO, YMMV:

Fact #1: I respect the attachement to OVFs, I ejnoy very much the HUGE viewfinders on my OM analog cameras. But this is a digital medium and it (we) have to grow up at some point. EVFs and Live Views in general are the future, period.

Fact #2: I'm starting to like Sony (the camera/imaging division). Because with (a) the RX-100, (b) the sensor in the OM-D and (c) daring to venture into FF; they go on to prove that "sensor size" (and the resulting "databack" format) is just another option. No significant relation to IQ and other performance parameters anymore (at least up to FF size).

It's almost scary to consider that perhaps the next OM-D sensor will have comparable DR and ISO performance to some of the best FF sensors of today. Or that their mirrorless FF camera may introduce, at last, better overall AF performance/accuracy than the best of DSLRs. The guys at Sony do an awfull lot of things seem magically easy recently.

It's very liberating to think that, one year from now, we will finally chose systems on image character (e.g. "the FF look"), practical performance (e.g. ":43: size") and individual preference (from styling to availability of lenses, etc), without any compromise at all on overall IQ or genre specific performance (e.g. "you still need a DSLR to shoot fast action"). We are "almost" there today, I believe we will be there in a years time.

I like this thread of thoughts. Will have to chew on it a bit, but I like the ideas.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This. Sony has yet to clearly decide where they're going.

As a hobbyist, a 36MP FF Nex using the same sensor as the D800 with 3 or 4 high quality legacy primes (Zuiko 21, 50 and 90 for example) would be interesting. But without high quality native lenses, I can't see it being a commercial success. And nothing Sony has done indicates they are willing or able to make high quality mirrorless lens designs.

DH

Don't forget the only Autofocus glass currently made by/under license by Zeiss is Sony-badged.

I think that if they really committed to that, made some glass equivalent to the Contax N stuff, and marketed it as such (while delivering) they could have a winner on their hands. I'm not giving up the full frame Canon any time soon, but I'm interested to see if this goes anywhere...

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
It was reported earlier that the NEX 6 would have that as well.

Yes, that's a report that their FF camera will have this also, which is important, IMO, for two reasons. First, it's their flagship camera. Second, it allegedly combines on sensor with conventional PD sites (with translucent mirror in the case of Sony).

The Canon 650D has on sensor PD sites as well, which evidently function especially bad, if it's Live View AF is any indication. But Sony went one up, as usual.

cariocaleo

Mu-43 Regular
Maybe Sony wants a piece of the pie from every format... Even 4:3... They did make a sensor for the OM-D. So they have a 1", 4:3, APS, it's not far fetched to make a FF... Maybe won't happen, but it seems they want it all, lol.

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Maybe Sony wants a piece of the pie from every format... Even 4:3... They did make a sensor for the OM-D. So they have a 1", 4:3, APS, it's not far fetched to make a FF... Maybe won't happen, but it seems they want it all, lol.

Sony has their own 35mm sensor cameras. I believe they made the sensor in the Nikon D800. So, they manufacture them now. It is just if they want to add a new camera line, which is very expensive.

The more interesting question is whether they would get into producing chip larger than 35mm. So far the two companies doing that for cameras are Dalsa and the one formally owned by Kodak.

cariocaleo

Mu-43 Regular
Hikari said:
Sony has their own 35mm sensor cameras. I believe they made the sensor in the Nikon D800. So, they manufacture them now. It is just if they want to add a new camera line, which is very expensive.

The more interesting question is whether they would get into producing chip larger than 35mm. So far the two companies doing that for cameras are Dalsa and the one formally owned by Kodak.

I did not know the D800 sensor was Sony's... Well, there you go. So they are already there... Is this the beginning of the end for DSLR's? Exciting times for photography!

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
I doubt the SLR camera is going anywhere. No camera type is perfect and EVIL cameras have their share of problems from a user stand point. This is why view cameras still can be bought new even though they are the oldest camera type around.

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sure, markets and the percent of a market shifts with available technology. The box Brownie is not a really popular camera type anymore and sales reflect that (Fuji film did release a folding camera a few years ago). But the camera with the largest market share is not the best, it is simply the most popular and that can be driven by fashion and perception as anything else. I doubt anything will trump the most popular camera type today for a a long time and maybe never--the camera phone is just too convenient.

But I have been lucky enough to use practically every camera type made and each has a strength the others do not. While folks seem to need to have winners and losers, there is no winning here. A loss of a camera type makes photography a little less richer and move us closer to mediocrity.

cariocaleo

Mu-43 Regular
Wise words sir... And actually I didn't even think of the camera phone as being a huge impact on the photo market, but you are right, it is.

Latest threads

Top Bottom