1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Sony NEX Full Frame Coming'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Aug 17, 2012.

1. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    I think this is a ridiculous rumor.

the NEX system doesn't even have a good selection of lenses, and they would have to do that all over again with FF.

Not to mention when you go FF you have to increase the size of the lenses as well, and that defeats the purpose of a mirrorless system.

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    ^agreed, but even with the lens size I'm sure many people would still buy it.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I didn't post this here, though I did at Seriouscompacts, but the minute I saw the thread title, I knew who did ;) :) :biggrin:

4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Regardless of the current lay of the land with NEX, it is interesting to see that Sony may be first to a FF MILC.

Add Sony's focus peaking, with NO crop factor, and you have a whole new world.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    It makes a bit of sense to in that previous Sony Full Frame DSLRs had a tough time competing with Nikon & Canon Full Frame DSLRs (somewhat like Olympus & Panasonic Four Thirds DSLRs had trouble competing with Nikon, Canon, Pentax, & Sony DSLRs)

So in the above light - why not create a new market? (Like Olympus & Panasonic did with Micro Four Thirds) :smile:

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Considering the source, I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Look at that sites rumor reliablity history. By the time it hits SR5, it's solid. Very solid.

Could this be the long rumored camera with a combined E and Alpha mount?

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd get this strictly for a digital back. It'd be great with a prime MF trinity!

8. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I'd get one in a heartbeat, and personally I don't think it's ridiculous at all, I think it's been Sony's goal from NEX day 1. They said upon launching the NEX system that the E lenses would be usable for FF, so I don't see where the problem is.

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Unless you count the Leica M9.

Fred

10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It's great news for those that want it, good for Sony!

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I believe there is a mirror in a rangefinder, though not a reflex mirror :)

After extensive testing a year ago (with NEX, Canon and m43) I decided that APS-C just didn't offer enough, and m43 gave a much more compact set-up.

Now, FF? That's a different story, and would fit my needs nicely, though I wouldn't want to use FF with telephoto. I like the m43 options there.

12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I was hoping no one would think of that. But on my side, B+H lists it as mirrorless :smile:

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    So Sony's going to build three different camera lines, with three different lens mounts? Or will they go Pentax's way, and build a mirrorless that uses the same lenses as the SLT, giving up most of the size advantage mirrorless can provide?

Neither option seems particularly viable. Sony has struggled with lens selection and quality with the existing Nex line, so dividing up their resources to try to design and support yet another set of lenses seems counter productive. And if I want a big camera with big lenses, the existing SLT line would seem to answer that requirement.

14. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I said the same thing a year ago on this forum and got flamed for it :cool:

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, some would say that Sony HASN'T actually been wasting resources on building NEX lenses :biggrin:

Seriously, though, what if the 50/1.8 and the 24 (or at least just the 24) cast an image circle that could cover FF. Could there be something like with Canon EFS and EF, where the Full Frame lenses, though larger, could be used on the smaller bodies, but not vice-versa?

At any rate, it's not like they have a massive line of high-grade lenses they'd be abandoning. I think also Sony may be apt to try anything and see what sticks which, now that I think about it, could make me cautious about putting too much money into a FF NEX (vs. Oly where they are clearly all-in).

16. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I might be way out in left field, but maybe aps-c nex isn't a long term project for Sony. Sony has never had a problem with planned obsolescence, and stop gap products.

17. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Doubtful. FF has never been financially viable for the vast consumer market. If Sony does make this that viable then it'll be a knock down the barn door game changer. Sony doesn't have stopped gap products. Unlike many companies that rest on their laurels for years, Sony keeps innovating and thus comes out with replacement models at least once a year.

18. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Well there did seem to be a lot of interest in the D600 rumour. A FF Nex with a n articulated rear screen could make for a fantastic landscape camera. Makes a lot of sense to me especially if combining with legacy lenses and the focus peaking. Probably makes more sense than the current Nex 7 actually. I would think of the concept more along the lines of getting into full frame as cheaply as possible rather than anything to do with size and weight. If they could pull that off it would be pretty incredible IMHO.

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I would be torn between a Nikon FF and a NEX FF. Nikon because the glass would be (relatively) super cheap and likely better CAF, but the NEX because you'd get the more accurate CDAF, and WYSIWYG in the VF. Also NEX with EVF would be better with legacy glass (I guess you could use the Nikon cheap MF lenses on NEX, and win anyway!)