Sony NEX Cameras for Adapted Lenses

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Narnian, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I am not that satisfied with adapted lenses on m43 because of focusing. NEX peak focusing seems very interesting. Not to mention it will use more of the lens circle for higher quality images.

Anybody have any experience they can share on using the NEX bodies with adapted lenses?
  2. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Peak focusing on the Nex is very helpful, yes. I have a few old Minolta MD lenses (28mm, 50mm, 45mm and 135mm) and use them on the Nex but I don't have an MD to m43 adapter for my E-PL1 so cannot compare with using them on m43.

I should probably buy an adapter (only £10 or so) and have a go on the E-PL1 to compare, although one of the reasons I bought the Nex was to use legacy glass on it + you are kind of 'forced' to if you want to use prime lenses due to the limited range and cost of Sony lenses! :biggrin: Also the small/crappy lcd on the E-PL1 may not be great for manual focus. :)

I don't use an EVF on the Nex, just the screen, but I imagine an EVF would be a big help for manual focusing and even more so on m43? I also tend to manual focus on static objects - not really tried moving ones as I am still a bit slow at focusing even with peaking - getting better with practice though. :)

There are a few flickr groups for Nex legacy lenses if you want to see sample shots and discussions:
    Flickr: SONY
    Flickr: Sony NEX cameras with Minolta MC/MD mount, manual focus lenses

Also this discussion may be helpful (hope it is okay to link to another forum, if not will delete it)
    The best small manual lenses for NEX?

You can see the focus peaking in action here:
    [ame=]Sony Nex 5 Focus Peaking Indicator - YouTube[/ame]