Sony NEX C3 or 5N?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Biro, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm sure many of you read and even responded to my post in the Other Systems section about my sudden interest in the NEX C3 with the 16mm pancake, which can now be had for $499. As I wrote there, I'm not really interested in building a big NEX kit - but I wouldn't mind trying something new for not too much money.

Responses from NEX users to that post indicated almost all NEX cameras are quite good with excellent IQ, but tend to be let down by mediocre kit lenses and difficult user interfaces (although the newest cameras are better on this last point).

But I wonder if the new Sigma 19mm and 30mm primes for the NEX series will be better. It sounds like it won't take much to beat the Sony kit lenses and the Sigmas aren't expected to be expensive.

So, with that last paragraph in mind, my question is: C3 with 16mm pancake for $499... or 5N body-only for $599 and wait for the Sigma primes to hit the store shelves? Understand that while I'm sure the NEX-7 is wonderful (especially with all those controls and built-in viewfinder), I am not looking for spend anything close to that amount of money and would probably have only two lenses (19 and 30 sounds great to me) for whatever NEX I might purchase.

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome. This not a purchase that's necessary, given the other cameras and lenses I own. But the NEX system is quite interesting and I wouldn't mind a little adventure into NEX-land if I can keep costs under control.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You might also want to check in with NEX users at talknex.com and also seriouscompacts.com has quite a few folks with NEX experience. DPR, too, if you don't mind the wild west ;)

Having said that, I've tried the NEX3, NEXC3 and NEX5 (and 5n). I actually prefer the NEX3, but as that's no longer an option, I would recommend the 5n over the C3. I found the NEX3 was quite holdable, the C3, hardly at all (and I'm en EPM1 owner! Found the EPM1 easier to manage than the C3). The 5 (and 5n) were much more manageable.

3. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    I went for the C3 for the cost savings. It has the same sensor as the 5n so image quality will be the same. If you can live without a touchscreen and an EVF, the C3 is quite a remarkable deal.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Did you get a chance to check out the $369 NEX-C3 w/18-55mm lens over in Livingston? You could sell that 18-55mm and get the 16mm with money left over.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, I did... And it's gone. :mad:

6. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    If you have a chance, handle the cameras and see how they feel. I have large hands and find the C3 quite manageable as it has a nice grip on the right side.

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I just got back from my local Best Buy, where I handled both the C3 and 5N. I could probably get by with either but found the 5N a bit more comfortable. I plan to check them out some more at B&H while on my way into work sometime this week. The security mounts and cables that Best Buy has it cameras locked to don't help.