1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sony NEX-7

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Starred, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    very impressive body. Tiny and lightweight yet with built-in EVF (much higher resolution than any m43's EVF) and built-in flash. Still not tempted to switch unless they introduce another compact compact lens but less wide.

2. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    The price was leaked beforehand, which is why I dismissed it out of hand.

Looks amazing though.

3. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Sony just released a 50mm f1.8 for $300.

Sorry, but I think they have Olympus beat here. OIS and it is made out of metal for $100 less than the m.zuiko 45.

The telephoto lens isn't quite as impressive though.

4. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    $1199? I suspect that will convert at £1199 in the UK.... seems quite expensive for a Compact System Camera, one the lens lineup sorts itself out then the NEX system is looking impressive and a lot of rumours that like Olympus Sony seems their long term interchangeable lens system as being in EVIL's and not full size DSLR's.

I bought my Pen's for size and the add on EVF is great as I can use it when I want, I'd love to see the NEX 7 size compare to the Pen / G3 but it looks like it fails on my requirement - size!

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It'll be interesting to compare actual size and weight, and optical performance.
    Better price on Nex lens with less DoF and OSS so it's good for video too.

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Wow... badass. I'm happy for the Nex guys. This is the "pro" RF body many have been clamoring for - I better not hear any complaints!

It looks like it even has an electronic shutter. Amazing... :eek:

They even announced a PDAF lens to CDAF adapter with a mirror inside of it. Wow!

I think this is good news for us. Panasonic has shown that they view Sony as a direct competitor and competition is a good source of improvement. I hope this spurs both Panny and Olympus to really up their game!

7. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    There is an Alpha mount adapter which supports phase-detect. That's pretty awesome. You lose IBIS when using Alpha lenses on NEX.

The NEX7 is supposedly just slightly larger than an EPL3.

I've read through the previews of the new NEX cameras and the SLT cameras and I have to say, Sony is just killing it right now. They don't have the "presence" of other companies, but they are just lightyears ahead of everyone else in the APS-C space and I'd say comfortably ahead for EVIL cameras as well, if it were not for price and the lack of lenses.

8. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Ya. Sony just raised the bar. To the stratosphere.

Double the pixel count of the EP-3 and at least a stop or two better high ISO performance. Olympus needs to do something big and soon, or else they might as well just give up.

9. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    It does begin to look like the only place that Olympus is ahead of the others is in having IBIS built in rather than on the lens which is a great thing for those who use manual lenses a lot.

Olympus need to get a new sensor sorted out, I'm surprised they haven't gone into partnership with Panasonic and been able to use the new 16Mp from the G3, it'd be a start at least!

Even the new NEX 5 has the 16mp sensor from the C3 and it looks very good IQ wise!

• Like Like x 1
  10. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Looks good, although as I said about the NEX 7 I suspect in the UK the 50 f1.8 will convert to £300 and be the same or slightly dearer than the new 45mm

11. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    • Like Like x 2
  12. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    UK Pre Order Pricing:

NEX7 Body Only: £999.95
    A77 Body Only: £1179.95
    A65 Body Only: £ 799.95

A77 & 16-50: £1679.95
    NEX7 & 18-55: £1149.95

I think I'd rather have the A65 for £200 less than the NEX!

Also bundling with the 18-55, doe we really think that lens is going to do the 24mp sensor justice?

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Having just sold a Nex 5 and the lenses and adapters from it, I'm not going back anytime soon. I'm REALLY glad Sony is pushing the envelope because it helps all of us - I don't think we'd have the EPL3 right now if not for the Nex. And the Nex 7 looks like a killer camera (hell, I liked the 5 a LOT!). But the lenses are just not gonna be small enough for me. The Zeiss 24 is gonna be a GREAT lens - I'd bet a lot on that. And I don't doubt there will be other good glass coming down the pike, but physics is physics and they're just not gonna be able to get quality glass in a small enough package for me to want to carry it around. I'm satisfied with the IQ and everything else about the current crop of m43 cams and I expect m43 will continue to improve, particularly if Sony (and Nikon and whoever else) keeps pushing them. And that's the basket my interchangeable eggs are gonna be in for the foreseeable future. its just a better set of compromises for me.

If Sony comes out with some revolutionary breakthrough that allows these great bodies and good smaller lenses, I might reconsider somewhere around the Nex 10 or Nex 12, but I have my doubts. I'm glad its out there, but its not for me.

-Ray

14. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Initial impressions are also very impressive...

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Cheap compared to what the E-P2 price was when first released :wink:

16. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Just noticed there is going to be an add-on EVF similar to the VF2 available for the NEX5n, although priced at $300 I suspect it'l' become £300 in the UK which is a helluva lot for it.

I agree with Ray though, the lenses are much larger than our m4/3 ones and like you I don't think I could be doing with the faff of going back to basically a DSLR scale of kit (lenses) to cart around.

Also the 16mm and 18-55 haven't proven to be great and while I'd expect the Zeiss to be outstanding I'm not so sure about the others.

With the 12mm, 20mm and 45mm it looks to me like Olympus and Panasonic are ahead on lenses for the moment, but they could do with some improvements now on body tech.

That said I reckon for now the NEX5n is the main Sony competition to the current m4/3 lineup.... I don't think even the EP3 can compare to the NEX-7 at the moment... guess we need to wait for that Olympus Pro model!

17. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Is it? I don't know what it was in the UK new but the EP3 can be had for about £650

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    E-P2 was approx 850 pounds with the VF-2 when released.