1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony Nex-7 DPReview out. It's Gold (as expected)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Art, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Sony NEX-7 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

"NEX-7 is one of the most capable cameras around, and in terms of out-and-out image quality it's probably the best APS-C camera yet, regardless of size"

The weird part is that DPR categorized Sony Nex -7 as "Semi-professional" which doesn't make much sense to me given such limited system. If it's based on the price I rather see it in "luxury" category like Fuji X100 or Leica (although Leica is also professional). Perhaps the most disturbing part about the camera body (or firmware) to me is this notion "No custom settings memories".

Perharps DPR rates camera body only but they do realize that camera body does not work without lens and they probably can't even test camera bodies without lens attached. Although for legacy lenses, this is probably the best body.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Love to see progress. Onward and upward. Live to see an integrated EVF response from Oly, if at all possible. Still quite happy with my EPM1, though, so I think I'll pass on NEX for now.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    M43 had bodies with integrated evf long before Nex. G3 has integrated EVF and it's much smaller than Nex-7 (w/lenses) with faster and more precise AF especially in low light. But yes, hopefully this will put some pressure on Olympus (like tilting screen did)

5. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    There is no doubt Sony has done what many of us have been wanting in mu-43. NEX7 has many features Integrated viewfinder, tilt screen, flash, grip, three scroll wheels on in one body. Well three scroll wheel i feel is very innovative feature, something that i see becoming popular in the future.

After looking at the pictures of NEX7, I am happy with quality my e-pl1 produces. It also does cost significantly more than what we spent. So you do get you pay for.

But at the same time do we need to come up excuses to justify our purchases?

6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I was planning on buying a VF2 when I first got my EPL1, not anymore. I honestly don't care for an EVF. The EPL1 has probably the worst LCD of any enthusiast camera and I sitll find it good enough.

The NEX7 is an excellent looking camera, but price and lenses hold it back. I also have really gotten used to just being able to do everything in the SCP. I don't even miss having a dial to be honest.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The SCP is awesome. The best interface idea ever. I don't know why more companies just don't do the same thing?

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes it's great but I wish I could change PASM via SCP (would be very handy for my E-PM1)

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am not very impressed with Nex7 ,it looked very well on the paper but in reality If I have to buy Nex series , I would go for 5N. I am not a great fan of viewfinder as such , inbuilt flash is useless for most of the times(Except DSLRs-they have more powerful ones ) and so is clip on flash .I like Nex 5N more but yes EPL1 gives us much more camera per dollar
    Cheers

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Built-in flash is far from useless and I use it all the time for fill in the sun (the easiest way to improve your IQ). If it can bounce it's useful indoors as well, you just have to increase ISO somewhat which according to the review is not a problem for NEX. Set ISO1600 and you get some powerful flash (dunno if it can bounce though)

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They actually repeatedly mention the lens issue. The downside is there are only 2 good native lenses. The upside is that the Nex 7 fully supports all existing Alpha-mount lenses. Unlike m4/3, that means you get fast AF, C-AF and whatnot.

Purely on an IQ basis, the Nex 7 is the benchmark at this point. It just can't deliver those results using small lenses at this point.

DH

12. Took a quick look at the pre-production 1st look review. The reported high resolution oled evf and Tri-Navi type of system on the GX-1 would have pushed it to the top of the want list. Outside of the tilt option on the pany LVF I find little benefit to a evf as an add on item. Auto eye detection to switch from lcd to evf makes life a bit more convenient. Personally like manual vs. touchscreen control of the functions I switch on a routine basis. The Tri-Navi system of default setting switching to your "custom" choices by hitting one button would be my choice. Maybe in the next gen GX?

13. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I am with you on this one. The Sony Nex-7 is on my wish list, but I'll wait till they bring out many more native lenses, which hopefully would include some pancake lenses that would match the IQ of Panasonic 20mm and Olympus 45mm. Till then, it just remains on my list.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yep, it's gold. Until you mount Sony's second rate e-mount lenses on it. Note that DPR used an A mount lens with adapter to get those results.

I think "fully supports" is perhaps a bit of a stretch. To support those lenses you need to buy a moderately bulky, and very expensive, adapter. That option makes sense only for someone who already has a boatload of A-mount lenses and wants to buy the NEX as a second body to use with them. Even then, it's a expensive option that eliminates much of the size advantage of NEX over DSLRs and other MILCs.

"The benchmark" is a bit of a stretch, too. IQ isn't just about the sensor. In case anyone forgot, the 'I' in IQ means 'image', and to capture an image requires a lens. And there simply aren't many useful lenses that can provide IQ that's up to par with what the sensor needs.

Sony's got the potential for a great camera / system with the NEX-7, but they're not there yet. Sadly, thousands of people will skim the DPR review, say "Wow" and buy the camera with a second rate zoom, and never understand what they're missing.

For real-world photography (not to be confused with anything found on DPR), the m43 system offers image quality that is as good or better for probably 90% of the uses people will put these cameras to (printing at 13x19 or smaller and viewing on a computer monitor), in a much smaller (including lenses), more versatile, less expensive package.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There are plenty of A-mount primes as well as several zooms up to that task.

True, the adapter isn't cheap, but this is actually one case of getting what you pay for. My MMF-2 was nearly $200 when I got it, and I'd have paid double if it actually let me use my 4/3 glass effectively on m4/3.

But IQ-wise under normal conditions the only thing that will match a NEX 7 with a good lens is a full-frame camera.

90% of people who buy these cameras will use kit lenses for everything, and would be better suited with something like Fuji's X10. Certainly, most people don't need 24 or even 12MP.

In spite of it's limitations though, NEX has actually been fairly popular with real photographers and not only amateurs. I think the NEX 7 will continue that trend.

DH

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Didn't they say the eye sensor takes 1 full second to switch over? That would drive me crazy.

I think I can open/close the screen on my G3 and make it switch viewpoints in less than a second.

17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    You can buy an alpha dslr body for the price of the adapter and you'll get IBIS and much better ergonomics

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    For the price of the NEX-7 I'd rather get a DSLR!

19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I may have to get back into NEX (after having just left it). But I'll likely wait until there are more E mount lenses released.