Sony new QX10 and QX100 smart lenses...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by robbie36, Aug 13, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Now I could be in for one of these two...

(SR5) Hot! First images of the new DSC-QX10 and DSC-QX100 lens-cameras! | sonyalpharumors

I have no particular desire to stick one on the back of my mobile phone and start taking shots as in the picture.

I can see quite a lot of use and fun to be had with this camera. It is controlled by wifi or NFC by your iphone. So your control and your 'lens' dont have to be together.

That obviously makes for good 'stealth' shooting. Also if there is a tripod mount it would be great for attaching to a monopod and taking shots from higher up.

2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Some more details and a video showing a predictably strong emphasis on the social media market for these - NEW CONCEPT: The Sony DSC-QX100 and DSC-QX10 lens-style camera | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

I initially thought "definitely not", but now I can actually see the cheaper version being fun to use for street shooting, especially in white (less threatening than the black one!). I can't see the ergonomics being great, though.

3. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    The lack of a full manual mode and RAW shooting makes me not want one until its on clearance for like $250

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I hope there is an intended sarcasm/jest here

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I keep going back and forth on these. The lack of manual and RAW sucks, yes. Do I think of it as a smartphone on steroids? A different sort of compact? Really not sure. It just seems like another thing to carry around, or it could be awesome to have.

The reality of it is that right now I carry an ILC almost all the time, and I still use my phone occasionally to take photos because of the instant social connectivity. (Plus Apple camera connection kit is complete garbage.) It could be useful to get better photos that way. Or not; the QX100 costs quite a lot more than an iPhone on contract. Hard to say.

Also, Sony's telling me that they can produce an entire A3000 with kit lens for less than a QX100? That's surprising.

6. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    You gotta hand it to Sony though. This is very innovative -- if not for the rumor mills/press releases I would have thought these to be very clever pranks.

7. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    That is exactly what I've been thinking. There is a tripod mount shown in a picture on dpreview.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's nifty, but I don't see why it's that much easier than just carrying a compact camera like the RX100 it's based on. Maybe the little one (1/2.3) mostly because of the zoom.

9. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I'm not being sarcastic. $500 is a bit much for it. If it were say $3-400 MSRP I would snatch one up. The RAW / full manual control issue can be easily fixed with a firmware / software update.

The only thing that could change my mind is if Sony created an open API and let other software have direct access to it, ie Snapseed or Photoshop.

If it shot RAW and stored it to the SD card, I'd snatch one up as traveling to car launches where I'd only have to pack some clothes, my ipad and a QX100 would be great for my needs, instead of packing my GH3 + lenses. Most of the shots will be in daylight anyways so its perfect. Also with a tripod mount I can just pack my Delkin fat gecko and not have to bring a GoPro.

10. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    If only the cheap one had a faster lens...

I can really see myself buying the expensive one once they reach $300 on clearance or refurb. I thinks it's worth more, I just can't spend that much on something like this.

11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well full marks for innovation. Unfortunately like a lot of Sony products the implementation appears a little patchy to me - I often find that Sony products have some basic flaw.

With the DX100 we find that 1) it is actually rather big - 222ccm compared to the RX100 225ccm. It doesnt have RAW (a killer for me) and no iso control.

The DX10 is much smaller but it suffers (supposedly from a 1.2 second) shutter delay.

Currently it looks close but not cigar.

12. My last reading Sony has opened the API to developers.
    Note when googling add -Epson they had. QX-10 computer way back when.