1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony investment in Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kenez, Jun 22, 2012.

1. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    There are numerous press reports today that Olympus will announce that Sony is taking a 10% stake in exchange for making a 50 billion yen investment in the company. Maybe the next camera will be an OM-D NEX 8 ! Seriously though, it could be good news for possibly getting a phase detection adapter for 4/3 lenses on m4/3 bodies. Sony already offers this technology. It would also seem that future sensor technology would likely be provided by Sony.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/14334079.cms

2. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Panasonic, Sony...what's next? Canon or Nikon?

Olympus is gonna have some great stuff in the future, as if they didnt already have awesomeness... their OMD is already #1 :)

3. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Sounds neat. Maybe the Sony/Oly OMD II will be what the OMD should have been!

:rofl:

4. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    Camera making is a tiny percentage of Olympus' business. Medical imaging is what Olympus is about.

Whoever invests in Olympus is only going to be interested in the medical imaging division which was highly profitable before the fraud was discovered. The camera division has not made a profit for a very long time.

Panasonic self-evidently seemed a good fit from a camera point of view but that company has just posted record losses. That may explain why Panasonic chose not to invest in Olympus. What is worrying for the future of Olympus' camera division is that Sony has also just posted a record loss, and has its own camera division that has lost huge amounts of money since taking over Konica Minolta.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Color me dubious until we have this investment confirmed by Olympus or at least by a more mainstream outlet. We've seem similar reports in the past weeks about an investment from Panasonic.

However, the addition of Sony to the potential suitors/vultures circling Oly makes me wonder if they are not the supplier of the mysterious OM-D sensor.

6. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Yeah, I wish chipworks would take a look at the OM-D sensor.

It could be a sony sensor underneath a Olympus custom cover.

7. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
  8. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I wonder how revenues/losses are calculated "by department" for these multi-billion corporations like Sony. What I mean is, we know Sony is providing sensor technology to Nikon (and who knows who else) for a long time. I can't believe they have a loss off that. Are we talking "Sony Imaging" department, or something like that, or sensor development falls under a broader dept. specification?

While I would doubt that, we are free to speculate on what a Sony provided sensor would be for Olympus.

It seems rather odd that Sony would make a special :43:sensor just for the tiny percentage of sensor market that the OM-D represents. Even if they cooperate on a future sensor, at first it's more than probable that it would be a "cropped" version of their APS-C sensors. Meaning it will have the same pixel density.

So, if they start with their 24mp sensor, a :43: equivalent would be 18mp. If the starting point would be the 16mp NEX-5 sensor, we are expecting 12mp :43: equivalent.

Both Sony sensors are considered high performance although I'm not sure a :43: version would offer any significant advancements over the Panasonic sensors. That could change if they start from some newer technology. Being a totally different end product would present no issues with any licensing aggreement with their existing customers, like Nikon, Pentax, etc.

What do you think? Would having Sony sensor technology behind Olympus future customers be a positive development for Olympus and :43: in general?

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's not quite right. Starting with the 24MP Sony APS-C sensor, a m4/3 crop would be 14.5MP. With the 16.2MP Sony sensor, 9.9MP would be the crop.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    If they make something with the performance of the chip in the D800, then yes.

11. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    You are perfectly right. I miscalculated my numbers. :redface:

Which makes it probably inpractical to consider "porting" those sensors to :43: after all.