Sony flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sinpig, Dec 16, 2011.

1. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Can you use a Sony flash on a GH2?? I found one at a great price and the size seems just right for the GH2.

This is going to be my first flash as I'm not much for a flash user therefore I'm looking to make as small of an investment as possible.

Option #1 Sony HVLF20AM TTL Digital Flash for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Option #2

It's crazy that Panasonic doesn't have a small cheap flash for the G series.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Sony Alpha hotshoe is a different size than the standard hotshoe which everybody else uses, and the NEX flash can't even fit on a hotshoe! It just plugs into a little port which exists only on the NEX cameras. Sony is very proprietary, whereas you would be able to use a flash from just about any other manufacturer BUT Sony if you set it up right.

However, there are plenty of similar options for Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds, so I'm not sure why you would want to look to Sony... Like for instance the Olympus FL-20, FL-14, or FL-300R (pictured below in the same order of release). The FL-20 has been around since the early days of the Four-Thirds E-System (and the other two since the early days of the PEN system).

• Like Like x 1
  3. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI

Well, one more thing I didn't know!! :eek:
    What got me interested was the size, I'm not experienced enough to invest on a full size flash and I'm not even sure I'll haul it around if it takes a lot of space.

I guess this was one of those cases where looks can be deceiving!

So what it's your opinion, what's a basic entry level flash?? small, uncomplicated and cheap?
  4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    That's going to depend a lot on what you mean by "uncomplicated."

Do you mean "uncomplicated" as in "the flash talks to the camera and they figure everything out together so when I press the shutter I get a beautiful picture every time"?

Or do you mean "uncomplicated" as in "the flash has just three settings - bright, really bright, and blindingly bright, which is controlled by a single manual switch that I have change according to the situation"?

Because they are very different things!! And the first interpretation is going to cost you a lot more.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    In that case I guess I mean the I will control it manually according to the situation...
  6. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010

how does the wireless function work on the FL-300R on say an e-pl3?
    do you have to use the supplied flash to trigger the FL-300R?
    or does it work using RF?
    thought you might know, since you guys brought this up already :)