1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sony flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sinpig, Dec 16, 2011.

1. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Can you use a Sony flash on a GH2?? I found one at a great price and the size seems just right for the GH2.

This is going to be my first flash as I'm not much for a flash user therefore I'm looking to make as small of an investment as possible.

Option #1

Amazon.com: Sony HVLF20AM TTL Digital Flash for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Option #2

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HVLF20S-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324072032&sr=1-1

It's crazy that Panasonic doesn't have a small cheap flash for the G series.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Sony Alpha hotshoe is a different size than the standard hotshoe which everybody else uses, and the NEX flash can't even fit on a hotshoe! It just plugs into a little port which exists only on the NEX cameras. Sony is very proprietary, whereas you would be able to use a flash from just about any other manufacturer BUT Sony if you set it up right.

However, there are plenty of similar options for Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds, so I'm not sure why you would want to look to Sony... Like for instance the Olympus FL-20, FL-14, or FL-300R (pictured below in the same order of release). The FL-20 has been around since the early days of the Four-Thirds E-System (and the other two since the early days of the PEN system).

278681.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

631797.jpg

808130.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Ned,

Well, one more thing I didn't know!! :eek: 
    What got me interested was the size, I'm not experienced enough to invest on a full size flash and I'm not even sure I'll haul it around if it takes a lot of space.

I guess this was one of those cases where looks can be deceiving!

So what it's your opinion, what's a basic entry level flash?? small, uncomplicated and cheap?

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    That's going to depend a lot on what you mean by "uncomplicated."

Do you mean "uncomplicated" as in "the flash talks to the camera and they figure everything out together so when I press the shutter I get a beautiful picture every time"?

Or do you mean "uncomplicated" as in "the flash has just three settings - bright, really bright, and blindingly bright, which is controlled by a single manual switch that I have change according to the situation"?

Because they are very different things!! And the first interpretation is going to cost you a lot more.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    In that case I guess I mean the I will control it manually according to the situation...

6. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 21, 2010

how does the wireless function work on the FL-300R on say an e-pl3?
    do you have to use the supplied flash to trigger the FL-300R?
    or does it work using RF?
    thought you might know, since you guys brought this up already :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.