Sony Finances

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ccunningham, Nov 9, 2012.

1. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I recently read an article that Sony is now rated one step above junk bonds by Moody's. Does this mean anything for Olympus users, given that Sony and Olympus just announced a big money investment/partnership arrangement?

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I wonder if Sony post-dated the check? :biggrin:

Provided that Olympus was paid in cash or gold bullion already, I wouldn't think that this could impact them any more than it would all of the other camera companies (except Canon) that rely on Sony sensors.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  5. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    I didn't read too deeply into the Sony investment in Olympus, I wasn't sure if cash or stock swaps were involved.

6. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Moodys was still rating sub prime stuff as perfect right up till the GFC. I'm surprised that they haven't been sued off the planet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    I get your point. Personally I have little faith in the corporate world after the last thirty or forty years.

While Moody's ratings don't matter to me, I think their ratings are still relevant to financial institutions that lend money. Whether I think they should be or not is beside the point.

And it's all beside the point here if it doesn't affect Olympus.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    For the record, Panasonic and Sharp are in similarly dire straits. It is mostly a result of the TV industry collapsing suddenly, after it turned out nobody gives a _____ about 3D.

9. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    I'm not sure what ______ means.

Do you mean that 3D, the "new tech" that would obsolete all the old junky HD TVs, didn't make everyone upgrade to new TVs?

Serously though, I'm afraid I personally wasn't interested in 3DTV. It seemed complicated and sometimes problematic.

Although I have to be honest, I'm not a TV connoisseur. I wouldn't have an HDTV at all expect a family member upgraded to a 1080p flatscreen, and no one but me wanted their 1080i rear projection unit (they were giving it away).

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It was probably the connection to Olympus that downgraded them ... Bunch of scheisters...