1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony creates PDAF-enabled adapter for NEX mount! Your move, mu43

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by labcoatguy, Aug 24, 2011.

1. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Some time ago, I remember speculating about PDAF on :43: via an adapter for Four-Thirds lenses:

Annoyingly, just like with focus peaking, Sony got there first. It was in a DPreview preview of the new NEX-5N that they revealed an interesting new accessory for the E-mount:

"Sony has also announced the LA-EA2 adapter that promises fast autofocus with all existing Alpha mount lenses. This uses the company's SLT technology, with a fixed 'translucent' mirror and built-in phase detection AF sensor, plus an AF motor for 'screw-drive' lenses."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bulky, yes, but if you're interested in already bulky lenses like the Olympus 12-60mm zoom, something like this wouldn't be a huge deal, and would be totally worth it.

2. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    It'll never exist...but imagine "active" adapters like this for e.g. nikon-afs, canon-efs etc etc.....

3. A 4/3 mount like this needn't be so bulky. The Sony adapter also features a screw-drive AF motor to drive the older lenses that don't have their own built-in AF.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'd much rather good native AF lenses, now that CDAF is getting so close to PDAF in AF performance. That seems like a stop gap for Sony because there are so few E-mount lenses available. If I wanted to use lenses as large as their A-mount, I'd just get an A-77 or a small DSLR. For that matter, if I wanted to use lenses as large as the E-mount lenses they're showing, I'd just get an A77 or DSLR. But that's just me - lots of folks will be very happy with the Nex offerings...

I think m43 should definitely implement the peaking function, but this.... not so much.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree with Ray, especially considering that this adapter costs almost as much as a DSLR and basically turns your camera into one (or DSLT as the case may be).

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  6. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I honestly don't get it. Why would you buy a mirrorless camera only to put a mirror box on it?

Why not just buy an SLR in the first place? Or go with a mirorless system that makes a full range of lenses?

I get using adapters to use legacy lenses, but this just seems silly to me.

Am I missing something?

ETA - Ray posted while I was writing pretty much the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    weird and intriguing at the same time. Almost Ricoh GXR like in it's own ingenuity - ugly, yet practical.

8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    They could build a PDAF sensor into a Visoflex type housing and we could all have modular DSLRs.

3892524056_999148770b_b1.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Some (few...) used on Leicas a Visoflex... or how to turn a great camera in a bulky, ugly, unwieldy one.

PS: Carpandean beat me on that one.

10. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I so want this! :rofl:

I used to own a Visoflex many, many years when I was trying older Leica equipment.

11. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i guess it kind of makes sense, but for olympus to do it. because of their investment in time and energy to their four-thirds cameras and lenses, it would make much more sense to squeeze some more life out of the 'stalwart' four thirds format, to appease the users of that format and signal a change over to the micro four thirds system.

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Looks huge. Good concept but not really practical.

13. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Olympus just needs to make a m4/3 version of their 50-200mm lens with one of these just straight up built into it. It is hte only lens that actually needs PDAF.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The 12-60, 11-22, 14-54I and 50/2 would all beg to differ. Not to mention the entire SHG lens lineup.

DH

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm definitely going to get the LA-EA2 adapter - especially since I have 2 A-Mount primes. The ability to auto-focus those a-mount primes at "optimum" speed is worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I think the PDAF makes great sense for Sony. As a buyer i can go small and simple with smaller lenses (once they actually come out with m43 equiv. lens) Or if I want to go high speed then i always have the option.

Either way another option is never a bad idea.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Yes, you are missing something...

Well, actually, you're not at all because you've answered your own question - why do you use adapted legacy lenses? Out of the possible reasons (you already own them/they're cheap/they offer something not yet available in MFT/they're 'fun'), all can be applied to a proper adapter for classic Four Thirds...

The beauty of MFT for me is options - people have different styles and tastes, and Micro Four Thirds offers different options for different people.

Or go with a mirorless system that makes a full range of lenses?

Um, there isn't one...

18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'd bet it would be expensive as well as bulky. Maybe the best adapter to get PD focusing with 4/3 lenses is a used E30.

Fred

19. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Once or if? The smaller sensor (4/3 vs. APS-C) means that it's easier to make quality lenses smaller. All else being equal (build quality, optical quality, focal length, maximum aperture, etc.), the m43 lens will be smaller.

20. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I thought making small lenses sharp was harder than larger lens. The :43: lens will likely be always smaller than APS-C. But it is possible for Sony to make a lens relatively small.