1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony body comparable to Olympus EM5 II

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by JDK504, Jul 26, 2016.

1. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I currently have an Olympus EM5 II.

Im looking for a Sony A7 series comparable to what I currently have.

My big emphasis would be the IBIS. So far I see the A7R II or SII which is quite a big of coin.

I might wait for Sony to announce some new bodies so I can pick up some on the grey market.

Much Obliged,

Ken

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I believe Sony IBIS has been tested to be good for only 2 or so stops vs 4-5 for Olympus.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Comparable in what way? If you just mean a Sony with IBIS, then go for the A7 II.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The realistic equivalent would be the A7 II. It gives up some features - worse EVF, worse IBIS, no fully articulated monitor, no touchscreen, no weather sealing.

But it has the full frame sensor so better resolution when paired with a good lens, 2 EV better dynamic range, somewhat better low light performance (though with the A7 II, the advantage is less than you'd hope for - only about 1 EV), and a few nice interface advantages (exposure compensation with auto ISO in M mode, better focus peaking).

5. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Thank you all for your input. I will weigh the options and do more research.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Unless IBIS is a big deal for you, the A6300 would be a better match - but it's butt ugly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Ironically, it has pretty much exactly the same pros vs. cons list compared to the A7 II. The 24MP sensor in the A6300 is nearly as good as the A7 II, which is probably the lowest performing FF sensor on the market right now except in terms of base ISO DR...

8. rjansenbr

rjansenbr New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2016
    Sony IBIS is a lot worse than Olympus. Also, be aware that the lenses are a lot bigger in the FF system, and the good ones cost small fortunes.

Enviado de meu SM-N9005 usando Tapatalk

9. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Thank you. I am aware of the larger glass on FF as well as the price. I currently have PL 15 1.7, PL 25 1.4 and PL 43 1.2, so I am no stranger to costly items.

I am digging the 35, 1.4, 55 1.8 and maybe the 85 1.8. I think that would be my setup.

As far as IBIS goes I mostly do static shots, handheld so the IBIS helps with that nervous shake you get (video). Also there is software correction at a cost (softens, zooms the footage).

Maybe it's just GAS.

10. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I'm not sure where the info came from that the Sony IBIS isn't as good. I seem remember Steve Huff giving it a glowing review and only putting it slightly behind the em5ii and about equal with the em1. But it's not the cam you want for high ISO.

11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I am pretty sure i read it an a Dpreview.com article or review, so, pretty solid source. Its their first try, so , not entirely unexpected.

12. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    From what I've read, it's not a big difference. Maybe 4 stops on the Sony instead of 5 from Olympus.

I would believe Sony's IBIS is better than the GX8, maybe on par with the GX85 body-only, and a stop behind it with Dual IS.

Regardless, modest differences in IBIS most certainly wouldn't be a big factor in my decision making.

13. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Why not fulfill your G.A.S. and buy gear and see if it jives with your shooting style. If you get an improvement of 1 stop simply from the sensor that's an improvement!!! if you dont like it you can always sell it.

For landscape/cityscape photography I can really see the benefits of IBIS. I'm still trying to see the benefits of shooting human subjects relying on IBIS. I'll still take faster shutters speeds than relying on IBIS with motion blur. I appreciate the in body stabilization but that's not top of my priorities for camera selection for still photography.

Whichever way you look at it there is always a compromise in any camera system you use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rjansenbr

rjansenbr New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2016
    Well, I had the A7II and can tell you its ibis is not as good as Olympus, specially when recording videos. I guess the bigger sensor makes it harder to make the magic work...

Enviado de meu SM-N9005 usando Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I went through what the OP's going through, after a long period of consideration I found myself concluding that if I'm going to go to a FF system with affordability and quality of native lenses being the man criteria, then I may as well go Nikon (not that I have tho, lol).

16. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I also had it and didn't particularly notice it being worse, thats not saying it wasn't.

17. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    DPR is a pretty sold source. This is what they say about Sony IBIS.

Sony Alpha a7 II Review

So they say that the A7II IBIS is pretty much as good as the E-M5 II. So I don't know how you guys got the impression that's not.

Also, it's far from their first try. Sony/Minolta has had IBIS longer than Olympus has. Minolta and thus now Sony had the A1 in 2003 with IBIS. Olympus first camera with it was the E-510 in 2007. Then there's talk that Sony actually had a camera with it in 1998, but I can't find a solid link to it. In terms of digital cameras, that was pretty much prehistory.

Back to the subject of this thread. I think of the A7 as a cut above the EM5. As another poster said, the comparable Sony cameras would be the A6X00s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had an a7rii for a little while. I can promise you that the IBIS is not anywhere near as reliable as the Olympus version. It does a good job at getting a reasonably sharp shot, but in my experience that final ounce of sharpness was often missing. That's not what I see on my E-M1 and I think the E-M5ii is better again.

19. Tom_Chan

Tom_Chan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    You can also rent/borrow one to see for yourself. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    You are right , I only read the part where they judge the Sony ibis to be 2 stops using their experience based testing , but I didn't read the part where they say they judge Olympus ibid to only be good for,the same number. Which now just makes me I guess we have to wait for more scientific testing