1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sony announced the world’s first 20 Megapixel Four Thirds format Global Shutter sensor

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by panamike, Sep 9, 2018.

1. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    looks like its monochrome for us

global.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Interesting, but for me I care more about DR than global shutter. I hope it doesn’t impact DR at all

3. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    Too bad it is monochrome...

4. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    I'd love a real monochrome camera.

ps : thinking about it, I can see myself having the future Panasonic FF camera and a mft monochrome as my 2nd camera during projects. Personally I always end up post processing around 20% of my pictures to black and white anyways. So might as well have the real thing.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jay_M

Jay_M Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    I think it's a bit interesting that the "APS-C" version is 4:3 ratio

6. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Wait, what? I thought M43 was dead again.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    No you are wrong.
    It was dead last week, this week it’s alive.
    But wait for next week.
    Dead. Totally dead.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Global shutter. OK ,what is that supposed to mean?

9. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

Like the CCDs of old... no rolling shutter. Essentially all pixels on the sensor are exposed simultaneously.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It won't be monochrome.

Just the same way that the IMX299CJK sensor in the GH5s is "based on" but is not exactly the same as IMX294CJK Starvis sensor that Sony offers on their website, it's quite obvious that if this sensor were to be used by Olympus it would be tweaked to their satisfaction.

Changing from monochrome to RGB is a trivial matter of applying a different Colour Filter Array. This is how Fuji differentiates their cameras from Sony, despite using identical underlying sensors beneath the X-Trans CFA.

The more problematic aspect is that Global Shutter cameras tend to have very low dynamic range. I'm not sure Sony has managed to do anything to solve this.

Given the 43 fps frame-rate capabilities, its conceivable that Olympus might use smartphone-esque image processing to do in-camera RAW HDR, by processing and combining different exposures taken milliseconds apart, especially if it is free from rolling shutter artifacts. But that would be a big departure from anything they've ever done before. But not unprecedented - DxO does it with the "Super RAW" on their DxO ONE, released back in 2015.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    It has wrong size because of 1:1 aspect ratio so I doubt that we will see it in new OMD camera.
    But technology can be surely used for new OMD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I think that would be more correctly stated that all pixels are read simultaneously. With rolling shutter issues the sensor is exposed (all pixels exposed), but while reading one line of pixels at a time, as the subject moves lower pixels can change before the read happens on those lines. With a simultaneous read, you grab all the pixels at once, so no subject movement is recorded.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. ScottinPollock

Read, captured, recorded, exposed... whatever.

When in the context of a shutter, I think exposure.

14. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    How AF would work with global shutter?

15. ScottinPollock

I would "imagine" it'd be faster as the sensor readout is faster. But this assumes the processor is up to the task of keeping up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't see it being any different?

Global shutter is just an electronic way to produce a result that is functionally similar to a mechanical shutter. The electronic rolling shutters that we use now tend to produce motion artifacts due to the limitation of their readout speed.

But autofocus works the same way, regardless of whether you are using the mechanical shutter or the electronic shutter.

17. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    For CDAF, probably faster or same at least, I agree. But my question was, are they making OSPDAF sensors with global shutter mechanism?
    Just curious, since this is probably first generation release and not much information is available (yet).

18. ScottinPollock

Yeah, because the sensor readout is the same with either.

Now I don't know exactly how Panasonic does there CDAF, but since the EVF on the G9 is capable of 120FPS refresh, the much faster readout of the global sensor may indeed provide more time to the AF system.

This of course assumes the camera can't adjust focus during the capture process. This seems a reasonable assumption given the G9 can't do C-AF faster than 20 FPS, which is the approximate readout time of the current sensor.

But I'm just thinking out loud here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.