1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sony and Olympus

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by BamaBoy, Feb 11, 2019.

1. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Mu-43 Regular

Just finished reading a report on declining camera sales (Smartphones excluded ). What really struck me was the comment that Sony has invested over 600 million in Olympus and now own over 12% of the company.... Olympus sales have declined steadily over the past years so what is this investment ? Zuiko lens technology to be possibly implemented in future Sony products ? AI tech which Olympus seems to be dipping their toes in ? What say you more enlightened blokes than me !

2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Olympus is much more than consumer cameras. Is Sony's investment meant to get into Olympus' strong medical imaging portfolio.

3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Part of what they got was ibis technology.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Didn't Sony already have their "Steadyshot Inside" technology in their A-mount DSLRs?

Edit: Sony's A77, released in 2011, had "Steadyshot Inside" IBIS. It looks like Sony bought shares in Olympus in 2012, so Sony already had some form of IBIS technology prior to the investment.

Could Sony have benefited via improved IBIS tech? Possibly, but a lot of the articles published at the time of purchase talk about Sony's interest in the Medical business to help supplant the slumping sales of Sony's TV business.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Link? I though Sony had now sold all their share of Oly. Is this “new news”?

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Never mind, I just looked here and they own 5%

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Mu-43 Regular

Gee, looks like faux news somewhere in the woodpile... I kind of recall the link coming from this forum...

8. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    No problem - a lot of the “news” written about this kind of stuff is often speculative. This article from 2012 said the original investment was for a medical imaging JV, but mentioned there was “potential” for collaboration in the camera space. The actual statements at the time from the two companies said they also intended to “seek to achieve collaboration” in the camera space, but a lot of news sites seemed to major on that even though it was less than concrete.

9. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Mu-43 Regular

10. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Thanks!

11. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    They did but elected not to use it in the A7. But after buying into Olympus the A7ii had ibis. To much of a coincidence for me to believe it wasn’t part of deal.

12. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I guess now I don't feel to bad for buying my first Sony last month.:hide:

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Fwiw, Konica Minolta had several cameras with FILM IBIS...
    Sony licensed/bought the camera technology from them, probably would have been included.
    Of course, a patent for film might not translate to digital IBIS if someone else patented that first.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.