Sony a9 announced!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by TNcasual, Apr 19, 2017.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    the specs make it look like lacking a mechanical shutter

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm sure it uses the electronic shutter to achieve the upper limits of the specs listed above, but that doesn't necessarily mean it lacks a mechanical shutter. Look at the E-M1 II for example.

4. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Insane specs, but expensive (too me).
    Looking forward to how Olympus/pana will answer with in future housings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    It's like removing the headphone jack from the newest iPhone. Now given that the a9 has an ethernet port and "only" 24MP it's not difficult to understand who it's targeting, there are three years before next Olympics, it'll be very interesting to see what happens then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Wow - $4500 and £4600. With $1 = £0.79 at today's exchange rate that is just insulting. I hope it crashes in the UK ! There - how's that for spite!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    just relax, it's more insulting to those who bought the 1DX MKII (‎$5,999.00) and D5 ($6,496.95), and, wow, I enjoy saying that:dance3:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It does have a mechanical shutter. It is limited to 5fps though.

9. tkbslc

Isn't there a 20% VAT on most purchases included in that price? Prices in the U.S. never include tax. If you subtract VAT you are at 3680. That makes the exchange rate on that only .82, so pretty dang close pre-tax.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    True, but I've only ever seen prices in £ lower than in $. I know some of it is the recent devaluing of the £, but it's still true that every other manufacturer has UK prices lower than US prices in absolute numeric terms.

11. tkbslc

So for people that decried the E-M1 II price, this looks like essentially a full frame version of that camera and it's over twice as much. So I guess the "tiny" 4/3 sensor saves you $2500.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

Makes me happier with my "bargain" OMD E1.2

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. tkbslc

If your prices include a 20% VAT and the difference in currencies is at 20%, then it makes sense they should be just about equal. Prices have to be set with the future in mind, so perhaps Sony figures on the Pound dropping a tiny bit more. But 4500 vs 4600 is only 2%.

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It's a Sony.....

So it has no interest to me at all, in any shape...unless they give me one for free or to review.

Some people will love it...but I think that one is going to be very niche.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

Sony has made some outstanding products.

But what kills it for me is that Sony generally "stands alone" when it comes to accessories and compatibility. I swear, they have a serious case of "not invented here" syndrome. I really think they make things incompatible on purpose, so people are "locked in" to their expensive accessories.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I can see your reasoning, but the other manufacturers manage to show £ prices lower than $ prices. Don't know the mechanics behind it, but that's how it is!

17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    True, and I have one of their TV's....they just seem to miss the mark for me in photography gear. I think their biggest problem is that they are too big a company and into too many things. They have gone from a master of a few things to a jack of all trades. The problem there, then for me is that they ask too much for their products given the quality they provide.

18. tkbslc

I don't think that is fair criticism. They definitely are a big company and into a lot of products, but I am quite certain that the camera division has a singular focus. It's not like the camera teams work on playstations between camera releases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I like it, I also like shooting with the A7 II despite all it's flaws. Saying that, no way I'm paying full price for an A9! For your FF/high speed fix you can buy a refurb'ed Nikon D750, D500 and a handful of lenses and still come under $4500!