Sony a7R for $199.99 from SONY Website

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Ddeveryday, May 31, 2015.

1. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
  2. xonix

xonix New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2013
    Already tried, order got cancelled minutes later
  3. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    From the SONY store or from Amazon? I heard all the ones from Amazon got cancelled.

I placed my order in SONY website on 10AM. Let's see if mine will get cancelled as well..
  4. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    I ordered one too...its worth a shot!
    It shows backordered with no estimated delivery.
  5. dlvolk

dlvolk New to Mu-43

May 14, 2015
    Sony store cancels order on last page.
  6. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    URL taks you to a different location now. A7r is not in the "all" catalog either. Obviously took the page down now.

Guess we'll see about those who got their orders in with confimations. This sort of thing has never worked out for me...

7. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Me neither. I did get this order in and the email confirmation. No updates yet...
  8. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I got an order in as well, with email confirmation. Odd behavior though... could not access my order through Orders page. Also first time I set up an account, when I went back it was gone. Second time I got a confirmation. First time I did not.

Going to check my CC charges tonight just to be sure there was some kind of man in the middle attack going on...
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Good luck to all who actually got orders in!
  10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I put in an order at 6:15 AM US Central. I have a 'thank you for your purchase' e-mail...which seems like a confirmation. We'll see what happens. Thing is, what I really want is an A7ii, but this is a great deal and I'm curious about what 36MP looks like on a few of my lenses.

I have no expectation for Sony to follow through and they would be 100% reasonable in not doing so.
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I consider it unethical to try and take advantage of obvious extreme price errors. Wouldn't want someone to take advantage of me like that in my own personal business dealings.

No thanks.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    +1 for the Golden Rule.
  13. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
  14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Agreed. A friend of mine lucked out with the recent Olympus E-M10 bundle pricing errors, but this is on a whole different level.
  15. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Sony is already canceling the orders.
  16. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    I think that's nice, but IMO your grace is unnecessary. Sony is under no obligation to honor the pricing. If they find it's in their best interest to cancel the orders, they can. In this case, they definitely should, assuming it's a pricing mistake and that Sony benefits more from the cancelation (money saved) versus shipping cameras (elated customers + more A7 system users).

However, I am not satisfied to assume that really good deals are always pricing mistakes, and if the deal is attractive and there's some chance it'll be honored I don't consider it unethical jump on the opportunity.

In this case, 99.9% it was a pricing mistake and Sony will/should cancel all orders. And most people should understand (a) legally they can, and (b) you can't be upset about it. I think you could argue that people that do get upset about it should know better and their behavior afterwards may be unethical, but I don't think that placing an order is a problem.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I agree. The difference between standard pricing and a steal of a deal is a graduated scale. At what percent off would it be unethical to jump in and buy something and who gets to decide. I buy things at 70% and more off all the time. Some stores mark things way down to move them out for one reason or another. Many times if you want a good deal like this you have to act quickly because it is usually limited availability.

Bottom line..

ours not to wonder why,
    ours but to shop and buy.

Charge of the light brigade.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Chris and Mark make good points, imo. I have just seen too many ranting threads when a "deal" like this is canceled, and many posters excoriating Sony (or whomever makes the mistake). That behavior, which is not present here, has definitely made me react poorly to these sorts of threads.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I completely agree with you - not sure how people could "live" with such a deal and how those would like if it happened to them.
  20. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    There's a fine line between unethical and taking advantage of a good deal.

I don't consider this to be unethical. Common sense dictates that this was purely a pricing error on Sony's part but it could have well been a major blowout sale to get rid of overhead inventory on a first come first served basis while providing goodwill and potentially capturing more A7 users in the process.

In any case, if it was a pricing error, Sony is not legally obligated to sell at that price. What would be worse are people that would bitch and moan about Sony not honoring the price and trying to create bad PR for them. Personally, I find the latter behavior more repulsive rather than the first.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1