1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sony A7II with IBIS from E-M1

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by memzinla, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think that's a nice dream rumour, but I'm not sure that IBIS is going to be easily done on the FE-mount. The M4/3 throat diameter, by my caliper measurements, is just shy of 42mm. The E-mount's is 46mm. So it has 4mm more space, while housing a sensor that is 19mm wider! Maybe it will be possible to introduce an IBIS system that works well, but the Sony A-mount has a throat diameter that's 4mm larger still, while having a flange distance 26.5mm longer! Seeing that, it's a lot more understandable that the A-mount has been able to have IBIS while still retaining sufficient telecentricity for an effective system with good corners and all the rest. It's also clear that M4/3 (or 4/3) has a similar relationship. I'm not certain that the E-mount does.

Look at this video of the E-M5 IBIS in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVNB3dayL-A

Now try to imagine this sensor moving that much:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/...es/highres-Sony-Alpha-7-Body-2_1385644524.jpg

If Sony can pull it off and make it work well, I will once again bow to their immense technical prowess. But I don't think people should get their hopes up at this point.

3. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well they are rumors, but what's coming should be interesting. haha.

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Given that FE lenses are not designed with the larger image circle to cover it (and even if they were the corners are already right at the edge of the mount) it can be done for an APS-C sized sensor however I think full frame is pushing it.

The FE mount was made too small, if it were a few mm bigger it would be far easier.

5. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Eh, it's a new mount, and they were certainly aware of IBIS when they designed it. I doubt that sony's engineers were dumb enough to come up with a mount in 2013 that's incompatible with the IBIS they were planning on rolling out in 2014. They have IBIS in their A99 and A77s which have been out for years, and they were clearly aware of the EM-5 and EM-1 IBIS techs last year.

I guess we'll see pretty soon though, according to the link anyway.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll give it a wait and see approach if this rumor is true. I just can't see Olympus giving away it's bread 'n butter technology without something in return. If another camera system with a bigger sensor has the same technology, what's the point of shooting with Olympus? Might as well given 5 axis IBIS to Panasonic so we could have 4k video with that same tech.

• Like Like x 2
  7. The point that has been raised is that given how large we know the range of motion of the sensor in an Olympus camera to be, how is the same thing going to be achieved in a Sony FE body?

SonyA7_zps51037b5b.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hankbaskett

Aug 21, 2012
    Well there's an easy answer to that one:

After months of rumors about potential partners for financially troubled Olympus Corporation, and weeks of speculation that the successful suitor was Sony, the new partnership is finally official. Olympus announced today that they'd accepted Sony's offer to invest roughly ¥50 billion (about $642 billion) between October 23 of this year and February 28, 2013. The investment will come in two tranches, one on October 23, and the remainder coming sometime between October 23 and February 28, as the companies can address anti-trust requirements in various countries.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...42-million-in-Olympus-two-companies-launching

The Olympus (and m4/3 in general) glass and the size advantages of the m4/3 sensor as it relates to glass and body size are a couple of things that come to mind. That's what m4/3 is all about, really, the size (and to some degree the sharpness wide open). IBIS can be implemented on medium format if you want, it's not unique to m4/3 at all.

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Wasnt the e-mount introduced in summer 2010 with the Nex 5? That was 2 years before the introduction of 5 axis stabilisation in the E-M5. More to the point would Sony engineers be dumb enough to launch a 90 2.8 FE macro with OSS in 2015 when they planned to release a A7ii with ibis in 2014?

Personally I find Sonyalpharumors to be a pretty poor rumor site (nothing like as good and generally reliable as 43rumors.) They didnt even find out which forthcoming FE lens were coming out before they were actually announced at Photokina. All they have done in this case is google translate a rumor from another site. I also think it is highly unlikely that Sony would increase the weight from 465g to 599g (that number sounds made up to me) and that they would increase the thickness of the body by 15mm.

I subcribe to the mount is too small for ibis myself. But I guess anything is possible with Sony., Ibis would certainly be nice to have.

• Like Like x 1
  10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
  11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Those are both A mount, not E mount. A mount has a much longer flange distance and the bayonet diameter is also larger.

Next time you have an A-7 in hand have a look at how close the sensor is to the edge of the mount.

12. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Exactly my point.

13. hankbaskett

Aug 21, 2012
    Say what you will about sonyalpharumors, but digicame-info breaks a lot of stuff. This was pretty good stuff, for example :)

As far as the mount goes, yes, the E-mount cameras came in 2010, but the FE-mount (the marriage of a 35mm sensor to that mount) came in Oct `13. So I suppose the question is, did they care enough about sticking E-mount APS-C lenses on 35mm sensors to forgo IBIS by using a mount that was incompatible with the technology...? With any kind of foresight, they could have said "well, we shouldn't recycle the E mount on our 35mm cameras because the dimensions make it so IBIS isn't an option and who the heck is sticking APS-C lenses on FF cameras anyway?."

I'd like to think that they have a coherent enough vision to look 12 months down the road but it's Sony so who knows... Again, I suppose we'll find out shortly here.

14. hankbaskett

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks, I understand that the A77 and A99 are A mount, I was pointing out that they're not unfamiliar with the concept of IBIS, they've been using it in their camera bodies for years.

15. hankbaskett

Aug 21, 2012
    I guess we found out really shortly, here is the press release straight from Sony Japan.

http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/201411/14-1120/

My Japanese is a little rusty, but I'm pretty sure that says "5 axis IBIS in an FE mount body" ;)

In fact, it claims 4.5 EV with its IBIS using CIPA standards and the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8. The EM-1 claims 4 EV for its IBIS using CIPA. Not sure if that's legitimate, margin of error or just marketing, but they're claiming to be able to hang with the IBIS on the EM-1. Will be interesting to see the reviews anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
  17. hankbaskett

Aug 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, Olympus just shot themselves in the foot. Why pay the price of an E-M1 when you can get an A7II with the same 5-axis IBIS? Even though I'm a big fan of M43, FF is where it's at. FF and 5-axis IBIS is a major jump in photographic technology. Now all I need are a couple of cheap Sigma Art FE 2.8 primes like a 28, 50 and an 85 and this might be my new street kit! :eek:

19. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    And now the Sony FE 24-70 Zeiss OSS and FE 28-70 OSS and FE 70-200 OSS and FE 16-35 Zeiss OSS lenses make sense in what way, exactly?

Sony, LOL (shakes head). All over the shop.

20. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, I love the concept but I wish it was another camera company spearheading the innovation!

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.