Sony A6500

astrostl

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Justin Honold
I have their RX100M4, which is a fantastic little travel camera. But the announced M5 is of zero interest to me. The biggest addition was PDAF, and I haven't found the AF to be problematic, even in low-light situations. How do you make 5 models of a point and shoot camera, and neglect to put a touch screen in any of them? Seriously, who's making that call over there? Unbelievable.
That's more or less where I am too, on the M3.

I took the RX with me to Disney on ice and used its C-AF burst for the first time, which worked reasonably well but not great. Would have enjoyed AF features. Between that and the exact same AF and speed with a touchscreen, though, it's a touchscreen and it's not even close. Folks that haven't used them have no idea what they're missing, when it comes to setting AF zones.

Starfleet

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
So slightly off topic for this thread :), I just don't get AF point selection at all. I can't use the touchscreen as I am also a left eye shooter, but I just don't use the focus point selector at all. I always focus (centre) and recompose. This may be because I shoot sports and the AF selection is way too slow IMO. Perhaps I need to practice.
Works fine with an f/1.8 lens. Does not always work on a, let's say, f/0.95 42.5mm. Recomposing can put things out of that thin focus range.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
So slightly off topic for this thread :), I just don't get AF point selection at all. I can't use the touchscreen as I am also a left eye shooter, but I just don't use the focus point selector at all. I always focus (centre) and recompose. This may be because I shoot sports and the AF selection is way too slow IMO. Perhaps I need to practice.
Yeah, with my E-M1's and GH4 I use the dpad to move the focus point around when I have the camera up to my eye, so the joy stick on the X-T2 is actually good, because the user could then assign functions to the d-pad buttons, since they're not being used for adjusting the AF point.

Gary5

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been saying for a long time if A7S3 has touch AF it will be my next camera. Looking pretty optimistic now.

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
I always focus (centre) and recompose.
To talk tangential to the topic:
With telephoto lenses at a typical watching distance this likely isn't a problem, but for portraits which happen at a closer distance with thin dof slight fore-aft movement of the photographer during the 'recompose' part can upset your focus. The area it is most likely a problem is with wide angle lenses which tend to have some field curvature to their focal plane in which case when you recompose the part you focused on is no longer on the plane despite being at the same distance. Worth remembering if critical focus is necessary. That being said I use the technique a lot to avoid chimping and for m4/3 the extra dof usually negates the problem.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
How long has it been between the GX8, GX85, G85?
GX8 - July 16, 2015
GX85 - April 4, 2016 (8.5 months)
G85 - September 19, 2016 (5.5 months)

So yeah, I can see a lot of people thinking that the G85 is the GX85 that they wanted and being disappointed by the quick release cycle. But the form factor on all of them is very different, so it doesn't feel as much like Panasonic is trolling you, somehow. The A6000, A6300, and A6500 could be carbon copies of each other. Almost impossible to discern by looking at them.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
GX8 - July 16, 2015
GX85 - April 4, 2016 (8.5 months)
G85 - September 19, 2016 (5.5 months)

So yeah, I can see a lot of people thinking that the G85 is the GX85 that they wanted and being disappointed by the quick release cycle. But the form factor on all of them is very different, so it doesn't feel as much like Panasonic is trolling you, somehow. The A6000, A6300, and A6500 could be carbon copies of each other. Almost impossible to discern by looking at them.
The whole advanced shutter and video IBIS in the G/GX85 would make me feel a bit trolled if I bought the GX8 last winter.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
The whole advanced shutter and video IBIS in the G/GX85 would make me feel a bit trolled if I bought the GX8 last winter.
Fair enough. There were enough little annoyances for me that I never really seriously considered the GX8, as good a camera as I think it is.

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
That is certainly compelling. But there is the issue of glass, there is very little really compelling APS-C E-mount glass. Most of the long glass is adapted Canon mount or a few fairly pricey Minolta lenses in A-mount.
So sony released 1 (one!) lens – a superzoom – for APS-C emount in the last 2 years according to the lens list that a quick search found me. I might have missed some (hopefully), but that does not sound like a mu43s killer to me...
There is no shortage of glass. I find the native Sony lens selection quite good. But even ignoring all the native e-mount lenses, there are Alpha mount and EF mount adapters that fully support autofocus. Which opens up a huge selection of glass. Old Minolta glass in particular is dirt cheap and very good. Just looking at the available Minolta Alpha mount lens selection, what do you find missing?

My A6000 feels so old now and I haven't even broken it in yet. :(

Gary5

Mu-43 Veteran
My worry with Sony isn't that maybe they'll release something a little better eight months later. If the camera I bought was good enough for my purpose, it's still good enough. But I do worry about how long Sony will support the camera. Will parts for repairs still be available 5-10 years later? Sony has always had a bad reputation for that kind of thing, but I'm not sure whether it only applies to less expensive stuff they make or to expensive cameras too. I do remember a pro tape deck they made years ago that they did support for a long time.

Thoren

Mu-43 Rookie
RX100 V and A6500 both have 120 fps full HD video. When will an Olympus body be able to compete?

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
My worry with Sony isn't that maybe they'll release something a little better eight months later. If the camera I bought was good enough for my purpose, it's still good enough. But I do worry about how long Sony will support the camera. Will parts for repairs still be available 5-10 years later? Sony has always had a bad reputation for that kind of thing, but I'm not sure whether it only applies to less expensive stuff they make or to expensive cameras too. I do remember a pro tape deck they made years ago that they did support for a long time.
1) That's always true though, not just with Sony. If you buy any m4/3 camera today, you know there will be a better camera within the next year. I much prefer that the manufacturers release their new tech (like Panasonic has with newer versions of IBIS) than for them to sit on it for an upgrade years down the road.

2) I'm not worried about repairs 5-10 years after I buy my camera. I would like my next body to last me up to 5 years, but beyond that, I figure that even if parts were available, the repair would be more expensive than just getting a new 2020 version of the camera. Actually, one of the reasons I'm probably going to get a Panasonic body is that they are running their 3-year warranty promotion.

There's all sorts of reasons to pick m4/3 over Sony, but I don't think the body release schedule is one of them. (Lens release schedule on the other hand...)

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
RX100 V and A6500 both have 120 fps full HD video. When will an Olympus body be able to compete?
When will Sony release a camera that is as fun to use as an OMD body? Though I haven't even shot a test video on my e-m1... as video means nothing to me.

I wanted to like the Sony A mount cameras when I bought a year ago as I was a Minolta SLR user way back when and have lenses, but the Sony cameras felt like an overblown laptop converted to a camera; nothing like the feel of my e-m1. Brings back the awkward 2nd control dial issue.

king_solom0n

Mu-43 Regular
I'm surprised the camera is as expensive as it is and it still doesn't have a second (one on the back doesn't count imo). I was so close to getting to the a6000, but after using it and the EM10 in store the Sony just felt wrong in my hands. Hopefully the user experience is better on the a6500.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom