1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A65 vs. E-pl1, a few shots of "Maybellene", 51 Ford.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by littleMT, Oct 29, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    A few from the E-pl1, using the wonderful 14mm of course.

1027-4.

1027-5.

and a few from the Sony SLT A65 shot with a cheapo 75mm - 300mm zoom.

1027-7.

1027-8.

who wins and why?

• Like Like x 3
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    For the first time the sony looks better, more of a natural color look.

3. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Are these Raw straight from the cameras or JPEGs processed in camera?

4. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    they are JPEGS, I have never shot a raw with the e-pl1, and sometimes do with the Sony.

the E-pl1 shots did get some tweaking, contrast, tone.

the Sony shots are OOC with no tweaking.

both cameras were shot in manual mode, I control aperature, ISO and shutter speed, as I feel I can make better decisions then the Camera can.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The color and exposure of the Sony shots look much more natural and accurate than those of the E-PL1 shots. The color of the E-PL1 shots are way over-saturated, while the metallic texture of the Maybellene in the Sony shots looks much nicer.

6. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    The Sony looks better, you can still see the detail and fleck in the paint whereas the EPL-1 is just a blinding blob of red.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I would think that's more about exposure and red channel clipping.

edit: what I mean is the EPL1 balanced the overall exposure, but the red channel clipped.

8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    the E-pl1 shots I was of course very close to the car using the 14mm, the Sony shots I was rather far away zooming in and quickly snapping as folks were walking in and out of the frame.

9. macalterego

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    JPEG image are processed by the camera, so you might be able to tweak the settings of the epl1 to reflect a more similar color gamut to the Sony. Every camera model is different when it comes to jpeg processing. I don't usually like the default settings for most cameras, but every now and then I do. My early Canon DSLR's left a lot to be desired with their jpeg image processing but more recent ones do a good job. Same with Sony and Nikon. The OM-D is pretty good, but I like less sharpening and saturations, usually, in the processed images. I have no idea what you can or can't do with an epl-1 as far as changing jpeg processing. Looks like it needs to be adjusted, though. Or shoot raw and process later. For critical projects, raw + jpeg is a nice way to go.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The Sony. Both oversaturate the reds, but the E-PL1 seems to do it more. Red is a fairly vibrant color to begin with, so it's easy to do. Great compositions though.

11. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I prefer the Sony shots as the exposures look nicer to me

12. macalterego

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I believe that comparing two cameras with different lenses by examining JPEGs is going to be of limited value if you want to do more than evaluate different styles and simply take a poll to see which style is more liked. But if only to see which style of output is preferred, then fine. I think most, with the exception of a Spanish bull or two, will prefer the less saturated and cooler reds of the Sony. :)

13. The E-PL1 reds make my eyes bleed.

14. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    another e-pl1 shot.

1031-4.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    For the first set, the sony shots look better. As said above, the red from the E-PL1 is over-saturated. The last shot by the E-PL1 looks much better, however. Any difference in PP?

16. aimawayfromface

aimawayfromface Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2012
    The Sony pics look better, but the PL1 shots look a tad over-exposed. Maybe if you pulled them down a bit, they would look more comparable. Also related is that the angle, lighting and composition are different.

17. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    this was a hard car to image and capture correctly, I found the best way to do so was to under expose the images just a touch, and did that with the Sony..

the Sony EVF made shooting this car and getting the color more accurate easier then the rather bad e-pl1 lcd screen...