1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A58 with the OMD

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by 13thFloorPhotography, Jul 8, 2013.

1. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Hi, m43 users:

I firmly believe there is a right tool for every job and the same applies to photography. Although I am in love with the OMD, I feel the need to supplement my m43 body with a phase detect body (I believe the OMD is contrast detect, but PLEASE correct me if I am wrong).

I have been doing a lot of event photography, which includes some crossfit events, and thought I needed another system to help me with this. I am leaning towards the Sony a58 for it's weight, price, autofocus system, and most importantly EVF. I really don't think I can go back to an OVF.

I was wondering if my m43 family can chime in and let me know what they think about the Sony Alphas.

Thank you in advance

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I actually like Sony's SLT cameras - and the system's kit lenses are better than you might think. The updated 18-55mm zoom that comes with the A58 isn't bad at all and the 55-200mm telephoto zoom is readily available for under $200 and is crazy-good for the price. Add one or two fast Sony primes (it's all Minolta glass and generally in the $150-$300 range) and you're set. Of course, there are much higher-priced lenses, like the 16-50mm f/2.8, if you need or want them.

But, rumors are the next OM-D will have on-sensor phase-detection auto-focus. So you might want to wait. I have also heard rumors that Sony's next generation of DSLR-class cameras will get the same on-sensor phase-detection auto-focus. Once they get that, they won't need the pellicle mirror anymore. But if you find yourself falling for Sony's SLTs and must have one, there's no real reason to tell you that you shouldn't go for it.

Pro photographer Kirk Tuck is a big fan of the A58 and talks about it in these posts and others on his Visual Science Lab blog...

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.co...13/02/smaller-cheaper-lighter-faster-its.html

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2013/04/my-new-camera-is-pretty-damn-good-not.html?q=Sony+A58

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.co...5/harvey-dress-rehearsal-at-zach-theatre.html

3. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thank you so much for your feedback. The price and kits readily available with the SLTs are very appealing to me. I have a feeling I am going to purchase a bunch of cameras, but the prudent side of me might just wait until next year.

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yes, µ4/3 uses Contrast Detect as opposed to Phase Detect for its AF. Contrast Detect is more accurate than Phase Detect. Contrast Detect as implemented in the OM-D and GH3 is lightening fast. Contrast Detect does not yet support Continuous Auto Focus well ... or even good in my opinion. When I shoot sports I use SAF, combined with back-button focus, and constantly re-punch Fn1 to reacquire focus. This workaround is better than µ4/3 CAF, not as effective as Phase Detection in a dSLR, but in a non-pro/non-competitive world it works.

I looked at your blog and I didn't see any images or genre where µ4/3 is at a severe disadvantage or even a disadvantage of kind to a Phase Detect camera.

Gary

5. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Gary, first and foremost, thank you for checking out my blog, but more importantly thank you for responding. I encountered a couple of misses that I opted not to post, but you are right, I am not at a severe disadvantage. However, I recently photographed children who constantly moved (and gave me problems) and thought about having both systems handy just for faster moving subjects. But I do like your work around. I might just try that next time.

PS - You B&Ws are absolutely stunning. I am definitely following your site. Bravo and please keep up the good work

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Children are a PITA. (lol)

Thank you for checking out my site. I always find it good to see a bit of a resume on who is giving me advice.

Here is an event I shot which is similar to much of what you shoot, performance, some action, et cetera, all shot with the OM-D.

WHS Talent Show - 2013 - Snaps by Gary Ayala

Gary

PS- Having never touched a Sony I cannot comment on its performance. With the OM-D, even if CAF worked, the EVF refresh rate is too slow to keep up with 4FPS, so half the time you're shooting blind. With a SLT's pellicle mirror, you won't have to worry about that problem.

G

7. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Hahahah, yeah tell me about it. PITA =)

Those are really some great shots. I actually saw those and wondered what camera you used. Was this taken with the 45mm?

Bravo!!! Some very impressive shots.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    These were captured with a variety of lenses, none of which with the 45mm. If you scroll over the enlarged/selected image to the right of the thumbs a window will slide out from the right. Click on "I" and a box will appear with the EXIF info.

G

9. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I can't speak much on the OMD, but I switched from a G2 to a Sony SLT A57 for wildlife, and when size isn't much of an issue(have a GF3 for when it can be). Right off the bat let me say lens selection is great, as you can go get some nice Minolta AF lenses from the 80's for on the cheap(think $30), only downside maybe that some aren't that fast for AF and AF motor is a bit noisy, which means not the best for video unless you MF.
    I had posted more of my thoughts here. https://www.mu-43.com/f76/a57-vs-g2-initial-impressions-38955/

On a side note, I think the A57, maybe a better choice, as while the EVF isn't as nice, the LCD screen is a little bigger, and is kind of limited articulating display, vs the tilt display on the A58. Also, I think the A57 offers more FPS, if that matters. Sensor wise, I think they are both equal when it comes to high ISO, with the A58 maybe having a slight advantage in jpeg. Plus, I am sure you can get the A57 for a lower price(specially if you can find one at the Sony Store, even better if open box as you can easily save $100+, I know I did).

10. 13thFloorPhotography

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Battleaxe, thank you for the input. The EVF is the biggest selling point for me on the A58, but I think I know someone who has the A57, so I will try both out. Do you mind shedding some light on the autofocus system. The OMD has the option to select my autofocus points throughout the frame. Is that possible with the A57? I know that they have points more towards the center of the frame. And is focus peaking as amazing as it sounds?

Thank you in advance

11. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Yes, it is. With the A57(& I assume 58 also) you can. Forgot the exact names off the top, but there is the option for a wide AF, multi-area AF where you choose the area left, center or right, or spot AF, where you choose the precise point for the AF system. If find the multi-area AF isn't as flexible as Panasonics implementation(like with the G2 and GF3 I can choose top right, or bottom center area if I wanted), but then again the A57 offers the ability to focus on a smaller more precise point if I wanted.

I don't MF as much as I should, but find focus peaking to be very good in some situations, and just acceptable in others. It kind of depends on the peaking color you choose(red, white, or yellow) and what you are focusing on. I do wish they made focus peaking a bit stronger and offered a purple-blue color.