Sony A1 announced

exakta

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sony announces flagship A1

50MP, 8K video

Esqu71KW4AYjAkg?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4622275873.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

From dpreview.com: "It will cost around $6500 / €7,300 / £6,500 and will be available in March."

Video here

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
And to think that people were complaining about the price of the 150-400 Pro :)

Mind you, compared to what people were paying for broken cameras and hazed lenses at the SAS photographica auction this morning, the A1 is an absolute bargain.

Mu-43 Legend
After a lot of thought and soul searching, I've decided to keep my <$400 G85 and not trade up to the a1. It was close 8 seconds, though.

Mu-43 Legend
On a less goofy note, the fact that they released a $6500 flagship with that same, tired, nasty body design tells me there isn't going to be any low-end bodies popping up anytime soon to tempt me to Sony. They've doubled down on the a7 style.

Last edited:

exakta

Mu-43 All-Pro
A1 or Leica? Tough call :confused:

The specs are definitely impressive, electronic shutter with flash...that's pretty slick. 120 focus adjustments per second at full 30 fps burst with no blackout? 15 stop DR? That's beyond crazy.

Last edited:

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yep the only alternative in body design, the A7c is hampered by being crippled with a single control wheel. Who on earth wants a FF camera, but is ok with just one control wheel...

Also if I had that much money to burn I know a bunch of things I'd rather buy... For 6,5k I could get:
1 PL200mm 2.8 (about 2k)
1 Underwaterhousing NA-GX8 (about 1,6k new)
2 UW Strobes (1k Each)
1k travel budget (would not be enough) to actually use the stuff!

I do want flash sync with electronic shutter though. It's one of those big features that would really make a difference in UW photography... If they can do it in a FF sensor, I would think we should be able to get it in a mu43 sensor too!

The AF I'd take too, but it's really not as much of a big deal for me.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I shall wait for the Sony Alpha 2. Technically, the specs on the ! Look good, but the hotshoe may be a flash killer.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
At least they know how to make touch screen hinges. Damn it’s pretty close to the e-m1 (mk1).
I’m still fking annoyed with penf, emk2/3.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
They also co-announced an Xperia smartphone that pairs with the camera for another $2500. It has an HDMI in, so I guess they are pushing really hard on the video front. It’s a weird combo for a phone, IMO, but I guess they’ll see just how much integration they can muster. I do wonder how many Sony camera users are also Sony smartphone users.

Edit to fix the spelling on the phone name.

Last edited:

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
I noted that there was much ruckus in a Norwegian Photographer group on FB and thought I should drop the "O´boy, colour me uninterested" comment there, but that would just be trolling... :whistling: :biggrin:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I wonder how many of these will be bought just for taking cat photos?

And, how many A9's will now trickle down to the used market???? That might be a possibility......
Considering just how much money people spend on their pets, a $6500 camera probably isn’t that far of a stretch for some. Granted, cats aren’t the hardest animals to photograph. Dogs in motion, on the other hand, might not be so hard of a sell.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Just been reading the latest edition of Amateur Photographer
Apparently the Nikon F Film SLR from the 1960s was the equivalent of £6250,00 in adjusted currency - at least you get a lot more for your money with the A1 and there is no cost for the pictures unlike the film you needed for the Nikon - so not as bad as I thought ;)

Mu-43 Legend
Considering just how much money people spend on their pets, a $6500 camera probably isn’t that far of a stretch for some.
Last fall, I was looking to get another collie. A friend of mine told me instead to look at one these "doodle" hybrids. He gave me the name of his breeder for a bernese-doodle, and when I called her, she had a waiting list for $6,000 mutts dogs!

So, for $6K I could get a -doodle (sometime late in 2021) or an a1. One of those things will still be around for 12 years+ most likely, and love me in return, and the other not.

And in the end, I found a full bred rough collie for $600, so holding to the above relative value ratio, my G85 fits me just fine :)

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
A1 or Leica? Tough call :confused:

The specs are definitely impressive, electronic shutter with flash...that's pretty slick. 120 focus adjustments per second at full 30 fps burst with no blackout? 15 stop DR? That's beyond crazy.

We are all different....Personally i would take a Leica SL2 over the Sony A1 :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom