1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony 55/1.8 vs Fuji 56/1.2 vs Olympus 75/1.8

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by taz98spin, Mar 29, 2014.

1. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    For our system the Olympus M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 ED and the Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 are considered the "best" portrait lenses.

For Sony FE mirrorless, their Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Lens is considered the best lens, coming only second from the Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Otus.

Lastly for Fuji, the XF 56mm F1.2 R is their "best" portrait lens.

I was able to test out 3 out of the 5 lenses l mentioned above during today for a studio shoot. :wink: (Using an E-P5, A7R, and a X-T1)

Take a look at these SOOC images and feel free to let me know which photo's rendering you prefer and the lens too.

I'm pretty happy with the way all 3 lenses render!

In no particular order here are the SOOC images.

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/taz98spin/13497859153" title="Clair SOOC by Taz Kang, on Flickr"> 13497859153_2b36910a31_b. "768" height="1024" alt="Clair SOOC"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/taz98spin/13497730745" title="Clair SOOC by Taz Kang, on Flickr"> 13497730745_d962c2534e_b. "683" height="1024" alt="Clair SOOC"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/taz98spin/13497801153" title="Clair SOOC by Taz Kang, on Flickr"> 13497801153_56b684ac74_b. "683" height="1024" alt="Clair SOOC"></a>

2. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    160+ views and no response? Slow forum day or hard crowd to please :confused:

Anyways, edited the photos using the same settings and I must say I'm very impressed with the Sony FF file!
    So much detail and sharpest! Almost too much detail, that I don't think it's going to be good for portraiture unless the model has flawless skin or you have a good MUA.
    Fuji's file also has lots of detail while the m43 file has the least detail.. even with the sharp 75/1.8 lens, which makes the editing process easier.

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/taz98spin/13519827955" title="Clair by Taz Kang, on Flickr"> 13519827955_7466c42b6f_b. "768" height="1024" alt="Clair"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/taz98spin/13520157684" title="Clair by Taz Kang, on Flickr"> 13520157684_68f4947c0e_b. "683" height="1024" alt="Clair"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/taz98spin/13519925033" title="Clair by Taz Kang, on Flickr"> 13519925033_7711cecd65_b. "683" height="1024" alt="Clair"></a>

3. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I guess the first is the sony because it looks like a normal focal length. The second is the Oly, and the third is the fuji because theres some kind of glow, I am right?

Frankly they all render the same, because it's the same set and the same model/light..., it's not the gear anymore that matters. Back in the day you had way more difference when using astia or portra than digital files...

And by the way I like the mood of the shoot a lot!

I like the second best because it shows some legs, and your model a nice pair at that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    1 & 2 are my favorites with the best skin tones and most detail.
    But it's hard to tell with a compressed for web shot from jpeg where tones and dynamic range are going to be compressed for file size anyway. So really we are comparing jpeg output engines from all three :)
    Care to provide the color profiles/modifications to profiles that you used?

Number 1 is my favorite of the lot - I think the skin tones are fantastic. Nice detail and color is great and really nicely balanced. My head says that this is the Olympus 75. Number 2 is the Sony and looks great too... could be the Fuji Provia with saturation and contrast dialled down but my gut says Sony. I prefer the color palette from number 1 though whatever that is.
    Number 3 is my least favorite and least detailed in terms of skin tones and saturation. My gut and head say that this is the Fuji. However from the outset you mentioned that the Oly 75 produced the least detail - so that mean that it has to be the Olympus. But unless the Oly 75 + epl5 was shot in vivid mode with a bump to contrast my head says more Fuji. :/

They are all really great shots to be honest and I hate trying to rank/decide which is which when all three are really good.

--Tom.

• Like Like x 1
  5. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for the reply.
    You're right, the lighting and mood of the set didn't change, so not much of a difference, but when viewed at 50% or even 25%, I could tell a difference to the files. At 100% the difference is quite noticeable.
    Sharpness I would say Sony > Fuji > Olympus. However, rendering I prefer the Fuji and Olympus.

For the images, actually the 1st one is Oly, 2nd is Sony, and the 3rd on is Fuji. :smile:

6. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Tom you are good! :2thumbs:
    You got all the images correct.

Out of the 3 images I too like the 1st one the best, but I'm surprised you don't like the third Fuji image. The image does have more detail and a pleasing skin tone (to Asians maybe?). When skimming through images, even my model chose this image as one of her favorites.

As for the settings, the E-P5 is factory default with warm colors turned off, so is the Sony. Only the Fuji has ASTIA setting.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Nice shots!
    Sometimes ya' gotta respond to others in order to get responses to your own though....:smile:

8. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    I like the first one most!

9. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks!

Note taken :smile:

10. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC

11. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Thanks Taz :)
    Well... for me anyway, Number 3 is definitely the most punchy. But to me it's little things like the blacks in the hair that are so black that detail is lost relative to the other two shots. There is more dynamic range in the scene ( hair, back of the leaves etc..) in the first two shots.
    Also I'm doing the one thing that I HATE doing, but only doing so because you asked - nit picking a terrific set of shots which I am still not skilled enough myself to take, have an idea about the theory but I suck in practice! - but in the third color one , the roll off to her cheek has a much quicker transition to the shadow area, with more contrast. In the first two color shots there is more tonal gradations to the skin tones, the transitions just look softer. It's gentler in the first two. I guess it is why they look less punchy in color but conversely why I feel they are more detailed.
    For me when we get to the B&W shots my preference for 1 and 2 is switched and I prefer the B&W conversion from number 2 best. This shot is just gorgeous in B&W. Skin tones are gorgeous. Number 1 looks really great too in B&W with lots of detail, but I would reduce the contrast again on this shot in camera to get it looking more like number 2 or play about with the highlight/shadow curve tool in camera.
    On number 3 in B&W there is less tonal gradation to the highlights and a more abrupt change from highlight to shadow on her cheek compared with the other two.
    Like was said earlier, really splitting hairs here , because they are all great shots.

BTW your model is really great - very natural and very beautiful.

Care to share how you lit this scene?

• Like Like x 1
  12. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for your kind words and detailed explanation! I didn't even think to look at the blacks and shadow roll off! I'll have to keep that in mind when I choose and select images to edit.

& yes, for the black and white shots, I agree with you. I just wanted to make sure that the editing was the same for all 3 images :smile:

As for the set up, the main light is a Westcott Spiderlite TD6 with a 7 Feet Parabolic Umbrella placed 3 feet away at a 40 degree pointing down to the model towards their left (my right).
    Directly to to the right side, off of the frame, I have a silver 3 x 6 feet reflector facing the model's left side.
    Lastly, I have use a Westcott Ice Light to highlight their hair from behind.

A diagram would be easier, but hope my explanation helped a little.

13. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I like them all....but the first colored one made me do a double take because of the shadow under the model's jaw line. Its a bit unflattering. Good set nonetheless

• Like Like x 1
  14. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I prefer the second one. I made that choice before I knew which was which. Mainly because the other two lose detail in the black hair and there wasn't that much to choose from as they are pretty similar.

• Like Like x 2
  15. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for the comment, now all I see is the shadow under her jaw line! I'll look out for that as I pick and choose as well!

16. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for the input.
    The blacks and detail of the shadows is something that I must pay more attention too!