Sometimes you gotta love buying on eBay

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Been there, done that, and I have the t-shirt.

Been there, done that and I have the scars.

Came a pearler off the Brompton last autumn - still unhappy about going down the same bit of road - there's a manhole cover there that has a groove that fits the front wheel just perfectly....
Turn it round?

My mate came a cropper a couple of years ago when his front wheel caught in a drain cover with in-line slots.
He contacted the council and they admitted it had been wrongly fitted.
IIRC he also got paid damages.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I had a providential eBay experience just yesterday.

I needed (well, wanted, at least) a small piece of audio gear. My search turned up fewer than a dozen active listings for the device I was after. The least expensive option was priced at $40. While a few had sold recently for similar prices, that price was higher than the very best recent deals. So I made an offer for $25. When this offer was declined I made another for $27.50 which was also turned down. At that point I decided that my need wasn't so great and turned my attention to other things.

A short while later I checked my email to find a offer from eBay for $10 off any item over $30 with an expiration date within the week. As I didn't have plans to buy anything else in that window, my thought returned to the bit of gear I had my eye on. I made a final offer of $30, which was accepted. Adding the coupon lowered the price to $20 which was less than my initial offer. Sometimes things just have a way of working out.

- K

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I had a providential eBay experience just yesterday.

I needed (well, wanted, at least) a small piece of audio gear. My search turned up fewer than a dozen active listings for the device I was after. The least expensive option was priced at $40. While had sold recently for similar prices, it was still more than the very best recent deals. So I made an offer for $25. When this offer was declined I made another for $27.50 which was also turned down. At that point I decided that my need wasn't so great and turned my attention to other things.

A short while later I checked my email to find a offer from eBay for $10 off any item over $30 with an expiration date within the week. As I didn't have plans to buy anything else in that window, my thought returned to the bit of gear I had my eye on. I made a final offer of $30, which was accepted. Adding the coupon lowered the price to $20 which was less than my initial offer. Sometimes things just have a way of working out.

- K
I noticed a bit of a pattern on some of my watched items. Some of the upper echelon eBay sellers can see who is watching their auctions. If you see something you want, watch it for a few days, then un-watch it. In many cases you will get an offer from the seller the next day. This works best listings that have few watchers, and I'd say there's about a 33% success rate. So, if you don't need it right away, playing the game can be beneficial.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I noticed a bit of a pattern on some of my watched items. Some of the upper echelon eBay sellers can see who is watching their auctions. If you see something you want, watch it for a few days, then un-watch it. In many cases you will get an offer from the seller the next day. This works best listings that have few watchers, and I'd say there's about a 33% success rate. So, if you don't need it right away, playing the game can be beneficial.
Interesting. I have received offers for items I'm watching, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one on an item I recently un-watched (although I'll admit I don't often un-watch items). It seems a bit counterintuitive to make an offer to someone who had unwatched your item; as a seller that would typically indicate to me that the user had already fulfilled their needs or otherwise was no longer in the market. But I'll keep your little hack in mind for the future.

- K

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Interesting. I have received offers for items I'm watching, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one on an item I recently un-watched (although I'll admit I don't often un-watch items). It seems a bit counterintuitive to make an offer to someone who had unwatched your item; as a seller that would typically indicate to me that the user had already fulfilled their needs or otherwise was no longer in the market. But I'll keep your little hack in mind for the future.

- K

It make perfect sense, especially if others aren't watching your item. The watcher clearly showed interest then decided not to purchase. The seller doesn't know why. Besides the reasons you mentioned, there is also price. The offer may be low enough to entice you back. I have purchased items for less than I would've offered in some cases. In one recent purchase, I received an offer on a vintage camera for $20 after un-watching the listing @ $35. Had I made an offer it would've been $25.

So I've been almost scammed on ebay, almost is the key. I stumbled upon a short-notice auction with an X-Pro2 Graphite Edition, starting at 500€ and ending on a monday noon - might've been a good chance. I won the auction and bid a higher price than I originally wanted. In any case, the auction was listed to be payed when picked-up from the seller, however it was stated they'd also send the item.

So I contacted them requesting another payment method and received their banking details, I was already starting to fill out the bank transfer form when I got a feeling something was very off. I searched the BIC and immediately got a warning about the bank, N26, is very popular among ebay scammers, since it seems rather easy opening an account there. I also again started searching for more clues and, almost half an hour later, I stumbled across the very same listing, identical pictures, identical description on an Austrian selling portal, the camera was being sold from a completely different person in a different country. I called ebay about it and just notified the seller I am canceling the bid.

That was very close.:dash2:
I can't encourage people enough to pay very close attention to any auctions, especially if the seller isn't well known and doesn't accept Paypal.

Update:
I just got a security message from ebay stating the sellers account has been hacked and my purchase has been canceled due to security concerns. At least ebay is not only doing something, but is also pretty fast at it!

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Here's one for the sellers:

I had a Thinktank Turnstyle 5 sling bag up for auction or best offer. I received an offer from a buyer who put a note in telling me they had one question and asking if I'd text them. eBay requires all communication go through their system (so no one tries to deal without paying the fees) so I declined. The offer was cancelled. The bag didn't sell and it relisted automatically. I received another offer from the same buyer, this time $5 higher but with the same request. I again declined the offer and at this point knew there was more to it than someone being a dumbass. When I checked, the buyer's account had been shut down.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom