Sometimes you gotta love buying on eBay

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
I'm pretty sure for E-M1 Mark II and newer, the electronic shutter does not count towards the global shutter counter, cameras using Truepic VIII and later only count mechanical shutter actuation, so the displayed number *should* be accurate :th_salute:

So.. if I understand correctly, the 550 € used PEN-F I bought 1,5 years ago had only ~1000 photos taken overall, not mechanical shutter count? Wow, hard to believe. If true, me likes.

The company did say that the older gentleman who sold it, had had it in the closet mostly. So could be true.

Would be very strange from Olympus to let mechanical shutter count to get mixed with electronic with earlier models. Power-On count might help with determining some of this stuff if buying something used.

Last edited:

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I've been thinking about buying a Nikon D750. No hurry, so I'm looking around for a good deal, See one on eBay. Description says "higher shutter count". So I message the seller asking for the count. Response is "360,000, the shutter was replaced at about 200,000".

I usually don't worry too much about shutter count, but I'm not considering this camera. Count is too high and no way I trust the seller. I find the listing fairly irksome. I think you really have to be clear if you've clicked away 360,000 times, and not just say "higher shutter count".
If the shutter was replaced at about 200,000 then the current shutter has done about 160,000 activations, but I'm sure the about part would be with a large degree of error so it could possibly be as low as 120,000, or as high as 200,000 on the current shutter. Calling it higher is not unreasonable. It does look as if it could be in line for another new shutter if luck is not on the owners side.
The overall count is indicative of a very hard life, which should be reflected in the price.
It wouldn't put me off the seller, as many sellers would avoid mentioning the higher count at all, being honest about something that potential buyers may be unaware of strikes me as a good sign.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If the shutter was replaced at about 200,000 then the current shutter has done about 160,000 activations, but I'm sure the about part would be with a large degree of error so it could possibly be as low as 120,000, or as high as 200,000 on the current shutter. Calling it higher is not unreasonable. It does look as if it could be in line for another new shutter if luck is not on the owners side.
The overall count is indicative of a very hard life, which should be reflected in the price.
It wouldn't put me off the seller, as many sellers would avoid mentioning the higher count at all, being honest about something that potential buyers may be unaware of strikes me as a good sign.

We have different perspectives on what's acceptable from a seller. I guess I'd assume "higher" means in the top third of shutter life, so 100 - 150,000 for this camera, I think. So the second shutter is pretty much beyond that, and the rest of the camera has seen some serious use. When there is something extreme about a camera compared to what's typical I think it needs to be spelled out clearly. No points given for "higher". Maybe the seller is a perfectly trustworthy person and was just a bit lazy when writing up description [not intentionally deceitful], but there are too many used cameras out there to take a chance.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just miss those periodic 15% or 20% off ANYTHING coupons. I used those to get both my 12-40 PRO and 45mm f1.8 through eBay at great prices. They learned the lesson though. Haven’t seen that promo in a very long time.

I wonder if the new OMD company will have any 20% off sales on the refurb store like Oly did. I have purchased a few items that way and was very happy with them.

but still, a low shutter count by itself is no guarantee that a camera has not been used much — it could all be electronic shutter.

The shutter is the main mechanical part of the camera so it is important. But to your point there are buttons and knobs where you hope haven't been worn out from excessive use. Personally I am not one to fuss over cosmetics so if I see a body for sale the the photos show "brassing" on the body, dings, grip detaching, etc. I am not as much concerned about that as I am about shutter count as I feel that is a fairly decent way to determine the use of the camera if you assume most used cameras are not exceptions in how they were used.

I’m pretty sure electronic shutter contributes to the shutter count on Olympus cameras.

Ya as discussed after your post, it would appear any newer models where the secret menu has both mechanical and E-shutter counts they get counted separately. But older models like the E-M1.1 where the E-shutter was a later FW addition to the model, the secret menu still have only a single shutter count so both mech+E activations go to the same counter.

Kind of like a lot of the m43 bodies still had the "cleaning" mode count which was a hold over from the mirror days where that field kept track of how many times you activated the cleaning mode to flip the mirror up and out of the way to access the sensor for cleaning. On mirrorless models that still had that field, it was always 00000000. I think it is the "V" line in the menu 2.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Not that I am cynical or anything like that. Do you think the cameras fetched as much as the seller hoped they would?

One untraceable tracking number is unlucky, two is careless at the very least.
So, here's the deal. He shipped it Canada Post Small Packets - USA - Air, which as it turns out is not trackable. I had no way of knowing that and I'm not sure he did. So, all we can do is wait and see if it shows up. I'm not sure why he did that, the risk is 100% his. If it never arrives I will go through eBay and Paypal for a refund, and he'll be left holding the bag. I would NEVER ship to an eBay buyer, or even someone from here if they aren't a regular without a tracking number. All it takes is an unscrupulous asshat to claim it never came when it did, and the seller is screwed.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Ref obtaining the shutter count on Olympus cameras. - I’ve always found it very straightforward - Panasonic on the other hand - now that’s when you need very flexible fingers and experience playing ‘Twister’
I preferred the Pentax approach, I was able to find what the shutter count was when I got the camera 5 years later. Just uploading an unaltered JPEG to a website gave the shutter count for when the shot was taken. Once I found this out I was able to calculate my average shooting rate (just under 1000 a month).
Shooting rates are more awkward to calculate now as I use many more cameras & most of them only allow current shutter count to be calculated.
No motorsports, airshows etc has certainly made my count MUCH lower in the last year, probably under 1000 in the whole year.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
So, here's the deal. He shipped it Canada Post Small Packets - USA - Air, which as it turns out is not trackable. I had no way of knowing that and I'm not sure he did. So, all we can do is wait and see if it shows up. I'm not sure why he did that, the risk is 100% his. If it never arrives I will go through eBay and Paypal for a refund, and he'll be left holding the bag. I would NEVER ship to an eBay buyer, or even someone from here if they aren't a regular without a tracking number. All it takes is an unscrupulous asshat to claim it never came when it did, and the seller is screwed.

Our Post Office added a 2D barcode and delivery scan to all 2nd/1st class large letters and parcels around 3-4 years ago (albeit, powered by 1000's of Intermec scanners they bought secondhand from Australia Post).

I had a busy ebay shop at the time. Would you believe it, but ebay buyer postal 'losses' went from 1 in 15 to around 1 in 1000 overnight. Even things that were lost in the post miraculously turned up in 'a bush', 'a hedge', 'under the shelf in the porch' and 'next door' when the recipient was confronted with a delivery scan and the opportunity to discuss it with their postman. Isn't that just an amazing co-incidence?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Our Post Office added a 2D barcode and delivery scan to all 2nd/1st class large letters and parcels around 3-4 years ago (albeit, powered by 1000's of Intermec scanners they bought secondhand from Australia Post).

I had a busy ebay shop at the time. Would you believe it, but ebay buyer postal 'losses' went from 1 in 15 to around 1 in 1000 overnight. Even things that were lost in the post miraculously turned up in 'a bush', 'a hedge', 'under the shelf in the porch' and 'next door' when the recipient was confronted with a delivery scan and the opportunity to discuss it with their postman. Isn't that just an amazing co-incidence?
Yes, it is. I did a search on eBay's user group help forum and it turns out it's a thing, like you say.

I sent something earlier in the year to someone via US Post first class mail. Even that has tracking now. These days there really isn't much of an excuse since everything is scanned for destination. I pointed this out to the seller when I let him know they arrived safely. Protect yourself, use tracking! I would've rather paid another $2 for shipping.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Brownie's quote: "These days there really isn't much of an excuse since everything is scanned for destination".

I've been waiting in this morning for my bicycle wheel to be returned, which was sent from Somerset yesterday on a 24 hour promise.

I just tracked it with Parcel Force and they say it's gone to the wrong destination.
Yup, Bristol, only 130 miles away. :rolleyes:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Brownie's quote: "These days there really isn't much of an excuse since everything is scanned for destination".

I've been waiting in this morning for my bicycle wheel to be returned, which was sent from Somerset yesterday on a 24 hour promise.

I just tracked it with Parcel Force and they say it's gone to the wrong destination.
Yeah, but at least you know where it's at!

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
eBay is a double edged sword, as I have often found out. But sometimes I run into a lucky find. Before Sony stopped making laptops they did a series that were pc/tablets in 13", 14" and 15". Size There was the standard version, and the custom version for those who could wait for their laptop to be built to spec from a list of expensive add-ons. I have a standard 13" i5 for traveling, a 15" i5 for music and as a back up for a 15" i7, which is my works machine running accounts, and also my CAD packages. Then last week I noticed a listing for another i7 that had little or no information from the seller. But he did show the full model number in a screen shot of the OS installed, and the processor fitted plus RAM size. It turned out to be a top of the range custom build with dual graphics card, dual band wifi, 512 SSD, 4K screen, NFC etc. I have seen lesser specced ones going for nearly twice what I paid for mine. The 2nd graphics card uses its GPU and 2GB memory with some of my CAD, video editing and graphics packages. That is something that I have been after for a while now.
So I am extremely pleased with eBay right now :dance3: .

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
eBay is a double edged sword, as I have often found out. But sometimes I run into a lucky find. Before Sony stopped making laptops they did a series that were pc/tablets in 13", 14" and 15". Size There was the standard version, and the custom version for those who could wait for their laptop to be built to spec from a list of expensive add-ons. I have a standard 13" i5 for traveling, a 15" i5 for music and as a back up for a 15" i7, which is my works machine running accounts, and also my CAD packages. Then last week I noticed a listing for another i7 that had little or no information from the seller. But he did show the full model number in a screen shot of the OS installed, and the processor fitted plus RAM size. It turned out to be a top of the range custom build with dual graphics card, dual band wifi, 512 SSD, 4K screen, NFC etc. I have seen lesser specced ones going for nearly twice what I paid for mine. The 2nd graphics card uses its GPU and 2GB memory with some of my CAD, video editing and graphics packages. That is something that I have been after for a while now.
So I am extremely pleased with eBay right now :dance3: .
Well done, Stanga :) .

I've bought two cars like that. The s/h sellers (both dealers) sold top of the range models for second tier prices. Unlike most car makers, Subaru did not generally explicitly identify different models, so an XS looks quite similar to an X model to the unknowledgeable ...

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thank You @ta2maki

I've always thought that only 4k mode has no IBIS.
Well done, Stanga :) .

I've bought two cars like that. The s/h sellers (both dealers) sold top of the range models for second tier prices. Unlike most car makers, Subaru did not generally explicitly identify different models, so an XS looks quite similar to an X model to the unknowledgeable ...
Funny that you should mention that. I bought my current car, a Hyundai ix20 from an eBay car dealer who didn't know the difference between an ix20 and a i20. He quoted me the wrong book value, which was about £3.5k less, and knocked a bit off the price...

Real Name
Roddy

Never a better time to find out if a Unicycle should be part of your lifestyle, Brian :)

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Never a better time to find out if a Unicycle should be part of your lifestyle, Brian :)
I seriously considered buying one a few years ago, as I've ridden various types of bikes but never a unicycle.
However, my back was particularly bad at the time and I was advised against one (and also a rowing machine).

What really settled it though, was Panolywoman mentioning that I had a habit of falling off two-wheelers, so a unicycle would be worse. :rolleyes:

Real Name
Roddy
What really settled it though, was Panolywoman mentioning that I had a habit of falling off two-wheelers, so a unicycle would be worse. :rolleyes:
Been there, done that, and I have the t-shirt.

I vaguely remember trying to ride my bike home when drunk as a skunk. I kept falling over! It was only a short ride (under a mile), but after 2-3 attempts, I ended up pushing it home. That was about 43 years ago ...
Been there, done that and I have the scars.

Came a pearler off the Brompton last autumn - still unhappy about going down the same bit of road - there's a manhole cover there that has a groove that fits the front wheel just perfectly....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom