Sometimes you gotta love buying on eBay

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've been thinking about buying a Nikon D750. No hurry, so I'm looking around for a good deal, See one on eBay. Description says "higher shutter count". So I message the seller asking for the count. Response is "360,000, the shutter was replaced at about 200,000".

I usually don't worry too much about shutter count, but I'm not considering this camera. Count is too high and no way I trust the seller. I find the listing fairly irksome. I think you really have to be clear if you've clicked away 360,000 times, and not just say "higher shutter count".

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Before I bought my E-PM2 recently, I asked the seller the same question. He replied that he didn't know how to find this out.

I reckoned that I couldn't go wrong at AUD$125 for an excellent condition camera.

Excellent service from the seller, and I found that the shutter had been used 2,777 times. Just about brand new!

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I offered a paltry sum on a make-offer copy of the little Lumix 35-100 - it was rejected immediately, and 3 days later it sold for $20 above my offer. The next one that came up I offered $20 less than my previous offer, and won. Timing is everything in such an environment.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
It's always an adventure. A while back I posted that I bought a set of four various Argus 'A' model cameras. They are coming from Canada. The tracking hasn't changed since they were shipped Monday. The tracking number provided by eBay is a dead end. The seller send me a copy of the shipping receipt, and there's another tracking number on it. When we try to enter it, we get a "this package cannot be tracked" response.

The seller is going to go to the post office on Monday. I am not worried about my money if they don't arrive, eBay will make good. The problem is the total cost for these was $60, shipped. There's no way I could ever duplicate that price again buying them one at a time.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Before I bought my E-PM2 recently, I asked the seller the same question. He replied that he didn't know how to find this out.

I reckoned that I couldn't go wrong at AUD$125 for an excellent condition camera.

Excellent service from the seller, and I found that the shutter had been used 2,777 times. Just about brand new!

At least it is fairly tricky to get an Olympus shutter count. Press four keys while hopping on one foot and singing Ave Maria, iirc. Nikon is pretty straightforward.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
I just miss those periodic 15% or 20% off ANYTHING coupons. I used those to get both my 12-40 PRO and 45mm f1.8 through eBay at great prices. They learned the lesson though. Haven’t seen that promo in a very long time.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
… it is fairly tricky to get an Olympus shutter count…
And if you use electronic shutter, it does not show up in the count.

I guess what you really want is the number of mechanical shutter actuations, but still, a low shutter count by itself is no guarantee that a camera has not been used much — it could all be electronic shutter.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
And if you use electronic shutter, it does not show up in the count.

I guess what you really want is the number of mechanical shutter actuations, but still, a low shutter count by itself is no guarantee that a camera has not been used much — it could all be electronic shutter.

I’m pretty sure electronic shutter contributes to the shutter count on Olympus cameras.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I’m pretty sure electronic shutter contributes to the shutter count on Olympus cameras.
I'm pretty sure mine doesn't!

I switched to silent shutter soon after getting it, three years ago. It shows less than 1,000 shutter count, but I have some 40,000 images taken in my file system! (And those were only the "keepers!")

To my knowledge, it depends on the camera, I think on E-M1 Mark I, E-M5 Mark II, Pen-F and E-M1 Mark II the electronic shutter actually does count for the only available shutter number. On newer models, E-M1 Mark II and later, it seems like the e-shutter doesn't count anymore.

However, yes ebay can still be a hit and miss sometimes, I usually stay away from shady, suspicious auctions and offers. I also "like" those offers where the seller claims "just minor cosmetic scratches" while on the pictures you can see the leatherette falling off, actual dents on the edges of the body and blown off paint on other places. Even worse are scammers, which reuse pictures from previous auctions to create their own, fake auctions - not so prominent for camera gear, but especially for smartphones and some computer hardware, it's becoming more and more of a problem.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
I've been thinking about buying a Nikon D750. No hurry, so I'm looking around for a good deal, See one on eBay. Description says "higher shutter count". So I message the seller asking for the count. Response is "360,000, the shutter was replaced at about 200,000".

I usually don't worry too much about shutter count, but I'm not considering this camera. Count is too high and no way I trust the seller. I find the listing fairly irksome. I think you really have to be clear if you've clicked away 360,000 times, and not just say "higher shutter count".

This was a pretty funny video.

At least it is fairly tricky to get an Olympus shutter count. Press four keys while hopping on one foot and singing Ave Maria, iirc. Nikon is pretty straightforward.

Nintendo 8-bit lovers look at their Olympus shutter count every day on their past time. It's like a cheat code for your camera!

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
To my knowledge, it depends on the camera, I think on E-M1 Mark I, E-M5 Mark II, Pen-F and E-M1 Mark II the electronic shutter actually does count for the only available shutter number. On newer models, E-M1 Mark II and later, it seems like the e-shutter doesn't count anymore.

That is why I thought the eshutter increased shutter count. I know for a fact it does on my EM1, have never check on my X.

However, yes ebay can still be a hit and miss sometimes, I usually stay away from shady, suspicious auctions and offers. I also "like" those offers where the seller claims "just minor cosmetic scratches" while on the pictures you can see the leatherette falling off, actual dents on the edges of the body and blown off paint on other places. Even worse are scammers, which reuse pictures from previous auctions to create their own, fake auctions - not so prominent for camera gear, but especially for smartphones and some computer hardware, it's becoming more and more of a problem.
So which is it for the M-M1 Mark II? I don't think it shows, I would check mine, but I don't feel like standing on my head while I recite the Greek alphabet backwards.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
It's always an adventure. A while back I posted that I bought a set of four various Argus 'A' model cameras. They are coming from Canada. The tracking hasn't changed since they were shipped Monday. The tracking number provided by eBay is a dead end. The seller send me a copy of the shipping receipt, and there's another tracking number on it. When we try to enter it, we get a "this package cannot be tracked" response.

The seller is going to go to the post office on Monday. I am not worried about my money if they don't arrive, eBay will make good. The problem is the total cost for these was $60, shipped. There's no way I could ever duplicate that price again buying them one at a time.

Not that I am cynical or anything like that. Do you think the cameras fetched as much as the seller hoped they would?

One untraceable tracking number is unlucky, two is careless at the very least.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Had a looksee for a older PS yesterday, found one with Gift, shot a few times out of the box and then packed away, mint and the whole shebang.

I guess it was the street edition with brassing, crushed strap mounting point and a pre-scratched screen... :biggrin:

So which is it for the M-M1 Mark II? I don't think it shows, I would check mine, but I don't feel like standing on my head while I recite the Greek alphabet backwards.
I'm pretty sure for E-M1 Mark II and newer, the electronic shutter does not count towards the global shutter counter, cameras using Truepic VIII and later only count mechanical shutter actuation, so the displayed number *should* be accurate :th_salute:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Not that I am cynical or anything like that. Do you think the cameras fetched as much as the seller hoped they would?

One untraceable tracking number is unlucky, two is careless at the very least.
I wonder myself if this isn't a ruse to keep the cameras because of the low cost, but I bought them on an offer and if he didn't like it he could've simply rejected it. The receipt he emailed has my name as the recipient with one of the tracking numbers, and it's from Canada Post. He's going to the post office tomorrow so maybe we'll know more then.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom