Sometimes quality matters, but is it a trick or a treat?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by demiro, Oct 31, 2014.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I went on a journey through the audio world a few years back, ending up with desktop computer speakers and $30 earphones and my iPhone with no complaints. I have found simpler to make me happier.

I also seem to be on that same journey with photography, though maybe less severe. I recently downsized to G7X and FZ1000 and all the glory of the 1" sensor.

Then I got bored, couldn't sleep, and had an internet connection and some money in my PayPal account...

So two boxes arrived today. One with a rather modest Dayton amplifier. The other with a less-modest but quirky Sigma Merrill DP3.

So I do a quick A/B with amp vs phones plugged straight in to the iPhone. The difference is subtle, but very real. The decay of the guitar notes are more detailed and gradual and the tiny tremble in the singer's voice is more pronounced through the amp. At higher volumes the song just rocks through the amp, where on the iPhone it gets a bit harsh.

Bigger difference with the Sigma. Just took some quick throw-away shots around my office, but wow! It's easy too see why people get a little goofy about these cameras. It remains to be seen if I can do anything useful with it, but what it captures is truly on another level.

So I have set up a trick or treat scenario for myself. It is a treat to be re-amazed by what quality gear can do. But I'm not going to trick myself and slide back down the rabbit hole of chasing sound and/or image quality beyond any pragmatic realms. I'm really not. I'm not just saying that to convince myself...

2. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    OK.:smile:

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, I'm not sure what my point was. Mostly just talking out loud to myself on the forum.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Dean!

I think I read this quote over at TheOnlinePhotographer.Com -

"Don't buy more stereo than you can hear."

:biggrin:

I've chased down that road and, like you, have found that for me simpler is sometimes better.

That being said - I hope you enjoy the new amp (and the Sigma, of course!).

Regards,

Jim

5. JNB

JNB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Ah, simplicity. It's a wonderful and constant pursuit of mine. Although, sometimes, simplicity is achieved through being more specialized, and at the expense of versatility.

Ah, versatility. There's nothing so satisfying as discovering how versatile an item can be. Except that, sometimes, versatility is accompanied by more complexity. And then, once again, I yearn for simplicity.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Nothing wrong with cycling between the two. Just don't stress it, and enjoy yourself.

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It's a journey and you are learning. Even after you've been in the whatever game you're in for however long... you should still be learning things.

I've been in IT, writing and maintaining complex computer systems for end users for over 20 years. I'm still learning.

The big thing to do is remember the lessons of the past and see just how much that still applies to the new stuff. People don't realize just how much "old" tech is given a new face, rebranded with a new name and resold.

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    A nice tube preamp can cure what ails many an audiophile! :biggrin:

All the best (from a recovered audiophile),

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    DOS rules!!!:biggrin:

(Assuming CP/M isn't in the house...)

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 3
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    lol... You'd be surprised how often I go into a "CMD" box in Win7 and do things. It's just faster. :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, me too. Old habits die hard...

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1