Sometimes love just ain't enough...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JamieW, Feb 9, 2014.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I had a shoot yesterday. I grabbed my beloved E-M1, the 12-40, and 2 lights, and went off to create art.

It was a really fun time. The model was excellent to work with. The makeup artist was phenomenal. She was an experienced model herself, and had a ton of experience directing models. Before I could even say a word she jumped in and started directing, and I enjoyed the rare opportunity to just stand back and shoot. It was my first time working with an actual art director for a shoot.

However, near the end of the 4 hour event, between the constant makeup changes and lighting changes, the reality of having to have 3 people chimp on a 3" display started to wear on all of us. She made the comment that it would have been really nice to be able to shoot tethered, and she'd prefer to work that way in the future.

At this point, I'd probably have thought... ouch. But the reality is, I was in 100% agreement and I've complained about it quite often on these forums over the last few months. I was not enjoying not being able to shoot tethered for this event, and now I'm re-evaluating my decision to do future paid work on the E-M1 over the 6D.

Which is a real shame. I loved both shooting on the E-M1 and the results I got.

• Like Like x 17
  2. Nice work.

Pardon my ignorance, but what features would you be missing using a wifi setup with the E-M1 vs going tethered?

I've never shot tethered OR used the wifi feature on my E-M1 yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    The WIFI on the E-M1 requires you to give all control over the camera to the tablet. I can't keep shooting on the E-M1 while the art director watches the tablet to see the images come off in real time like I can on the 6D.

The WIFI feature is really cool for landscapes, macro work, etc. but not so hot for a moving target. I need to control the camera and move with him / her.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Which is why I continue to work with my pro Nikon system and relegate m43 system for play. Sometimes that's the way life goes. I really love your shots Jamie -- very nicely done!!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Like your work, the last shot to me is not in focus, is that intended?
    Agree that sometimes love is not enough, they call it PRO body but some of the professional features are missing.
    So, have you come up to any solution yet?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Any rumours suggesting that olympus will do a firmware update to address the issue?
  7. Would an Eye-fi card solve your problem?
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Would an Eye-Fi card work for that sort of thing?
  9. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I have an eye fi card sitting on my desk. Maybe mine is bad but it loses connection every 3 or so shots. It's unusable. I have a buddy with another one but I haven't been able to test it yet. If that doesn't fix it it's back to the Canon until Olympus supports tethering.

As for the focus is spot on in Lightroom. Might be jpeg compression. I'm on my phone at the moment. I'll check when I get home. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks all for the kind words.
  10. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Your end results speak for themselves, just gorgeous! You make a really really great point about necessity for 'pro' support further up the eco-system like tethered monitors.
    I'm not a professional and straight up, I would not have been aware that monitor support was missing had you not said it.
    Chimping for an entire afternoon with 3 people constantly chimping the same small screen could get annoying real fast.
    Whether you continue to use your E-M1 or not for this reason, it might be worth writing to Olympus and requesting such features, if it has already been requested then your voice is going to add to the choir and possibly may get a solution from Olympus if not this generation, on the next.
    Best of luck.
  11. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    My Eye -Fi card (PRO X2) worked for about 3 hours without missing a shot at approx 20 feet from my EM-5 to my iPad (4 Retina) just takes a while to set up the initial connection.

The iPad makes quite a nice review platform.
  12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    wait, the E-M1 wifi won't let you just do dumps to a remote system!? Is this true for all Olympus Wifi? What about panasonic (really should steal my brother's GH3 for a bit on this...).

I've used an Eye-Fi w/o issue to my computer, but it's just painfully slow sometimes. Not transferring, but just the write speed bogs down my E-M5 compared to my sandisk cards. I only have the 8GB version though, the 16GB is supposed to be faster, but I couldn't swallow the price tag.
  13. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Not to thread hijack too much, but I just tested the G6 with my tablet. When linked to the camera I can control the camera from the tablet, changing almost every shooting setting except PASM. However, this does not block the on camera function - if I start messing with the camera the tablet shows a message about the camera being under direct control (or some such, I didn't write it down).

I can easily shift to reviewing what is on the card provided I shoot with a JPG file. RAW only doesn't work as far as I know. Now, maybe this applies to the GH3 but it isn't listed on the compatible camera list. GF6, GX7, GH4K and other WiFi enabled cameras should operate in the same way I'd guess.
  14. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Home at last. I was on the road earlier so I wasn't too clear I think. Let me give it another go.

Here's a quick overview of the 6D vs the E-M1's tethering capabilities.

On the 6D you have a few options. You can plug in the cable, and then set Lightroom to watch the camera's directory and automatically import images to LR and show the last image captures every time you press the shutter. This is a generic feature in LR and is actually my favorite way to tether, and works with most cameras.

Then there's the ability to actually tether, where you control the camera from Lightroom. I never use this, but I imagine it would be pretty nice for product photography.

Finally, you have WIFI options. You can do the LR auto import tethering with WIFI as well as view images on a tablet as soon as they are captured, without giving up control of the camera.

On the E-M1, as soon as you turn on USB the screen blacks out and you can't use the camera, so there's no way to use LR's auto import. It only works as an external storage device. No other option. Useful for transferring files to the computer and updating the camera's firmware, but that's about it.

For the E-M1's WIFI options, you basically give up all control of the camera (from the camera) when it's enabled. If WIFI is on, everything is done from the tablet.

The E-M1 is almost there. All they need to do for me to be ecstatic is to enable to keep shooting while USB is turned on. As long as the computer can see the camera as a mass storage device, I can connect to it with LR and use auto import. As for WIFI, the same applies. Just let me control the camera and keep shooting while the tablet views the images as they're captured.

Both limitations seem like an arbitrary choice made during the development of the firmware, and while I'm not an engineer, it would seem that it could be easily corrected with a firmware update should they choose to do so. But then, maybe not. I don't pretend to know the inner workings of their system. Wishful thinking on my part I think.

I will borrow my buddy's Eye-Fi card and try that. That could be the solution, though I'm a bit concerned about reliability at this point after my experiences with the first one.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. TheRenaissanceMan

TheRenaissanceMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    My GH3 has built-in wifi. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Finally got a few minutes to pop into LR and take a look. I think what you're seeing is the forums dynamically resizing the image to a maximum image size. The original export is 1200, but it appears smaller on the forums.

Here's a 100% crop of the eye from LR. The face recognition / eye priority auto focus system on the E-M1 is amazing. I get a very, very small number of out of focus portraits.

17. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    Great work, Jamie. Speaking as one photographer to another, I really like what you were able to produce during this shoot. Life is grand when you're able to combine your own skills with a fantastic hair/makeup person and a sharp model. :smile:

FWIW, the above photo looked nice and sharp from my laptop (a MacBook Pro circa mid-2010). On my display the forum software didn't need to dynamically resize it, I suppose.

I don't do a lot of tethered work, but I was a little miffed when I realized I apparently couldn't control the E-M1 while connected via wifi or USB. Like yourself, I'm hoping for a firmware update that will improve this behavior.

I know you're not too crazy about the Eye-Fi card due to a poor past experience. What I've read some are doing with success is (and you're probably wayyyyy ahead of me here and have tried this already):
    1. set the camera to RAW + JPEG mode
    2. have your JPEG size set to a medium or small resolution for quick transfer speeds
    3. the Eye-Fi card can be connected to your local network to transfer the JPEG files to a host computer for display while you continue shooting with the camera, while also storing the JPEG and raw file on the card

I'm not sure, but this might also work with an iPad, if you think that might be preferable to a computer for viewing. It may be that your dropped connection could be either due to a bad card, or perhaps even a router issue.

Again, great work! I hope you find a solution to continue using the ยต43 camera you enjoy so much. Let us know how this ultimately goes for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    I'm hoping CamRanger will add Olympus to their line. That would solve the tethering problem.
  19. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Since the problem seems to be the way the camera's USB connection is configured, I guess this won't help, but just in case.. maybe E-Capture would work?:

Just a thought. It might not even work with an m43 camera anyway, but you could give it a try.
  20. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Ulysses sent me a link to a video that looks like it might just work as a temporary work-around until Olympus / Panasonic gives us real USB tethering to a laptop.

It's not a perfect solution, and it's not as good as the 6D's options, but it's better than my current E-M1 method.

I tested this out with the E-M1. If you change the E-M1's USB settings from AUTO to STORAGE, then as soon as you plug in the cable the screen goes black and LR can start auto importing images. Just use the USB switch to break the connection and go back to shooting when the import is finished.