Sometimes it just works out right

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by nianys, Aug 18, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I didn't expect to shoot anything exciting, I was merely fooling around with the GX-1 and PL25 (my usual suspect combo), and happened to grab these two frames (in native B&W jpeg) from my husband and daughter just hanging out in our yard on a hot, hot day.
    Turns out my husband told me he could "grow old with this shot as my only picture" (!!), so I immediately had it printed, and it will go on our bedroom wall :
    The confidence she shows in holding her dad is quite representative of their relationship.
    Then, I have my personal fav' of the day, which I also got printed (smaller) and that'll find its place somewhere in the house :

C&C welcome
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Great shots! Very natural
  3. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Great expressions of your subjects in photo 1; the composition on photo 2 is very interesting, particularly the way the arms of both the man and little girl echo each other. You may want to see what a tighter horizontal crop on picture 2 looks like so you crop just below the man's shoulders. Nicely exposed, very sharp--well done.
  4. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Beautiful, both of them.This could be a full time job, photographing these two!
    I think I would take out the blemish on the wall.
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Very, very nice! Your daughter's expression in the first is priceless.
  6. Chris Malikoff

Chris Malikoff Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Fabulous. I agree with your husband - lifetime photographs. :thumbup:
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia

The 3 of you are blessed to have each other...and a very capable photographer ;)
  8. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Thank you, I think that's what her dad loves so much.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Ah ah, I almost shoot them full time, lol.
    Thanks for the tip, I didn't think about cloning the wall, but I will now :)
  10. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Oh yes, and that kind of pictures help not forget it. Thanks for the kind words.
  11. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    You captured what I consider as the essence of a family; trust, intimacy, tenderness and relax atmosphere.
    Thank you for sharing.
  12. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

And thank you for the very kind words. It is indeed the essence of their relationship.
  13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Beautiful shots as usual Marla - even better than usual.

I hadn't realized you'd migrated over here from DPR, but here's a belated welcome. Much friendlier place, no? :thumbup:

I still spend a bit of time over there, but I avoid about 99% of the contentious threads, which doesn't leave a whole lot...

14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Beautiful expressive images and I can understand that affection and love . May god bless all of you .I am picking up my GX1 tomorrow with VF2 and I have already PL25, lets hope this combo works well for me as well.
  15. LC55

LC55 New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2012
    both of the pictures are beautiful!!
    Especially the second one.
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It really comes across. This is by far the main reason I do photography - to capture these kinds of family moments. A couple photos like these, and I consider it a good year where my gear has paid for itself.