1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Something wrong with my E-M5?????????????

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sonsw87, May 18, 2012.

1. sonsw87

sonsw87 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    Ok... I know that e-m5s make huming/fan noise all the time. BUT mine also makes this weird noise. It almost sounds like old car brake. Its pretty loud. I could hear it outside in crowed park. Also the noise sometimes last few seconds. It doesn't do it all the time but very often about 7-8 times out of 10. Does anyone else get the same noise? Should I send this back and get a replacement? Again the noise is almost like a old car brake, high pitch noise like a metal disc grinding or something. I think its got to do with the IS since it mostly happens in low light.

2. Does it only happen when the IS has been activated i.e. during the exposure or after half-pressing the shutter button if the you have the IS preview turned on?

3. sonsw87

sonsw87 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    It happens when IS kicks in i think. But of course I try to do it, right after I write this, it does not happen... Still I know it happend so... When it does happens it drags on even after a exposure for few seconds.

4. When the IBIS is in operation it will sound a bit rough, but I don't think that the sound should continue after the exposure is completed.

5. sonsw87

sonsw87 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    Hmm but the noise does continue one for few sec and this noise is like a whole new level of "a bit rough" I thought something was grinding up inside my camera.

6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  7. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Can you make a recording of the noise (or a video with sound from a cameraphone?) of it and put it up on youtube so we can hear the noise?

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That doesn't sound normal at all.

9. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Definitely not normal. Apologies if this seems a dumb question- are you certain it is the camera and not the lens? Does this happen with different lenses attached?

10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    If the lens is a non Olympus lens with it's own built in stabilisation and it is left on, it may be conflicting with the camera IBIS and causing over run.

Before you return the camera, try another lens and see if that does the same thing.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sonsw87

sonsw87 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    I dont think its the Rattlesnake problem since its not a clicking noise.. Also Im using the 12-50 kit lens that came with the camera. I dont have any other lenses to test with.. I would love to record the noise but since I started this thread I could not remake the noise again... If the noise went away on its own thats great but at the same time im kinda worried that it might come back after the returning period..

12. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    The only reason I wondered if it was maybe the lens that was the source of the sound is that you've described it as sort of a grinding noise, which makes me think it is a mechanical gear issue. I'm not an expert (or anything close) but I don't think there are any such motorized drive gears in the body that would work against each other like that, but there are all sorts of gears and motors in the lenses.

I think it would be worth a call to the Olympus support line. If nothing else you may be able to get your return date extended since they would have documented your case.

13. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Doesn't sound normal - definitely call Olympus support.

To verify that it's a camera body issue and not a lens issue, take the lens off and put on the body cap. Turn on your camera and take a few shots with the IS on. If it's a repeatable issue you should be able to hear it and rule out the lens.