Something that just hit me...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Djarum, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So I went hiking this weekend, and I just realized something. Typically when when my gf and I go hiking, if no one is around I set up the tripod to get a picture of both of us at a waterfall or some sort of landmark along the hike. If other folks are there they are usually kind enough to take our shot(and we return the favor if they like as well).

Now, this past weekend was the first weekend with the Pen out hiking. We went hiking at a popular spot and there was a kind lady who took our picture for us, using my Pen. I just though, if I would have handed this lady a big SLR to take our photo, would she have? Big cameras can be intimidating for those just used to a point and click type camera. Even though the Pen is not just a P&S type camera, to the less educated, it looks like one(or sorta).

All I did was set the lens to 14mm, Aperature to 5.6, and she just clicked away.

Anyone actually hand their big SLR to someone to take a photo? Good or bad experiences with this?

I must say, owning the Pen so far has been a huge pleasure on many fronts.

Dj

• Like Like x 4
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

That's a great "Pen Story" Dj. I do know what you mean about cameras opening up connections. I haven't had your experience yet, but am sure I will down the line.

3. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    You can have my slr when you take it out of my cold dead hands... Lol... I don't think I would ever hand it off to have a picture taken... Don't think I would hand my pen off either... Maybe.... Gorillapod ftw!

4. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I have a small tripod I take when hiking. I had no problem letting someone using my camera to take our picture.

5. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    I never hand over my camera to a stranger. I always remember the scene from European Vacation, where the stranger runs off with the Griswold's video camera. Not that my camera would have any of the content theirs had... :smile:

I do get asked to take pictures quite often, and always oblige. I have never run away with anybody's camera either.

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 4
  6. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I think if I was on the street, I probably wouldn't.

Usually this is when I'm hiking and well, they won't make it very far too fast wihtout having to climb or stumble before I can catch up to them, LOL.

Dj

• Like Like x 2
  7. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    call me gullible

Well, if someone looks like they "can handle it" I do ask. I'll switch the camera into P, or M, do my settings, and tell them to press lightly, pause, then press hard.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    When I'm out my behavior is the opposit:
    When I see persons with a camera, everybody is shooting each other, one is always missing. Then I'll ask to make the pic. In 95% people agree, the other 5% don't survive....:biggrin: Just a joke, err but this is some kind of training for me to get into contacts with unknown persons.

Last year in Prague I made photographs of a young couple, my Nikon buddy shot me and both and another from our gang shot my buddy, me and the couple.
    At the end we could show in the travel thread the 'making of the making of Bernie's streetpics with a p+s camera of unknown brand.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BBW

Bernd, I do the same thing in that I offer to use their camera to take their picture. I've never had anyone be anything but happy about it.:biggrin:

Alan that is a wonderful photo - have to ask where you were?

10. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Not to change topic too much, but I was going to post the picture I was talking about..the one with myself and my gf. But my gf has asked me not to post it because we were both in pretty rough shape(sweaty, dirty..etc from the hike). However, I will post one of me that she took over the weekend so there is a face behind the name.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. BBW

Nice to see you in "real" photographic life, Dj and what a great spot you were in with that waterfall... Clearly I am living in the wrong part of the world right about now.

12. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Here in Japan, people don't run away with other people's cameras. (Doing so would be considered very ill-mannered.)

This fellow has had four or five (depending on how you count) books published of portraits he takes in one very clearly defined area of Tokyo. He sees somebody who looks interesting, asks if he may photograph them, and, if he gets an OK, takes the photograph, which may well be exhibited. He doesn't display his camera otherwise, and doesn't have the other accoutrements of a photographer. While he's standing, waiting and looking (Hasselblad out of sight), tourists not infrequently ask him if he wouldn't mind taking their photographs (of course with their own cameras). If only they knew....

• Like Like x 4
  13. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Point Lobos, don’t remember the specific cove behind us. Point Lobos is a CA State Reserve, near Carmel. I think it’s my favorite bit of coast in northern California, and there is a LOT of incredible coast. That was a rainy day, and the weather had just broken.

14. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Gorgeous shot!! Mmmmmmmmm!!

15. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    I once had about £3000-worth of Nikon SLR thrust into my hands by a Japanese couple in George Square in glasgow... I put them on the train to Edinburgh, camera intact and safe!

16. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    I had to take a picture not long ago, but had nothing but rocks to put my poor camera on.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Sometimes, a nice rock or bolder works wonderful too!

• Like Like x 2