something screwy with focus bracketing?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rsovitzky, Jan 30, 2016.

1. rsovitzky

rsovitzky Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2014
    Elm Grove WI
    Finally got around to playing with this feature. Tried it with 12-40 PRO and 75 1.8.

The manual says images will be captured until infinity is achieved (among other things). But I set up 7 images, step of 2, and focused on object about 50 ft away (f5.6). Now I'm guessing the far objects are about 1000 or so ft away. They came into focus on the third step - fine. But then the last 4 images went more and more out of focus. What on earth was the lens getting set to? PAST infinity? What does that even mean? I thought it would stop even if the number of images was not yet reached.

I think it's a very cool feature but one is pretty well flying by seat of pants. Guess it just takes lots of trials to be able to make a good guess at number of images and focus step.

rick

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Did you update the firmware in both the body and the 12-40 to do stacking and bracketing?

3. rsovitzky

rsovitzky Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2014
    Elm Grove WI
    Yes

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Not sure, I guess one question might be what are you trying to achieve, depending on what focal length you were shooting at 50ft and f5.6 means you are basically at or close to hyperfocal distance so stacking isn't likely to gain much, or am I missing something? Try it at shorter distances which is more what it was designed for to make up for shallow depths of field without having to excessively stop down the lens.

5. rsovitzky

rsovitzky Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2014
    Elm Grove WI
    I understand. As I said, just playing around.

But that doesn't answer the question. What is it trying to do? And why isn't it stopping at infinity?

6. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Possible firmware bug, does it sound like the lens is racking all the way to closest setting? You say getting more out of focus but was the foreground coming more into focus or the whole picture getting blurry? With both lenses?

7. rsovitzky

rsovitzky Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2014
    Elm Grove WI
    Yes, I too thought it might be focusing closer, just to do something :)

But it wasn't. The whole image gets more and more blurry.

I guess my main concern is that it will possibly create many unnecessary images.

Best way to report a bug?

8. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Don't think they have a dedicated bug report contact so probably just through their support page: Consumer Customer Support

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The lenses will all focus past infinity, CDAF and tolerances require it (there is no infinity adjust). The camera body actually has no idea where the precise position of infinity actually is, so I suppose technically the focus stack ends until the lens can no longer focus at the infinity end, which may well be slightly beyond it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    It isn't a bug, it is simply doing exactly what you asked. You asked it to start with the focus at 50ft, which is quite a long way away. After it made 6 steps (3*2) it reached infinity. It then carried on beyond infinity. You simply delete those photos. So if you want incredibly accurate bracketing from 50ft to infinity then set a step of 1 and tell it to take 6 photos.

But I'm having trouble trying to imagine what you were trying to achieve. With f/5.6 I doubt infinity was very much out of focus even with the first photo.

You need to experiment to find out how much a step is.

If you are trying landscape, give it a more interesting task. Focus on something only 5 feet away at f/2.8 and then try finding settings that will get everything from 5ft to infinity sharp. (Hint - try a step of about 7)

11. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Well I agree with your thoughts about this particular test of focus bracketing, the OP's point is that the manual states the bracket will just stop at infinite not carry on past. So its either a manual error (or something that needs more clarity) or a firmware "bug" probably because Olympus never intended it to be used like this.

12. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Yes, I see what you mean.
    To infinity and beyond...

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. rsovitzky

rsovitzky Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2014
    Elm Grove WI
    Thanks to all. Yes, I agree it seems dumb. It was just a fluke that I came upon it. But then, I was simply intrigued by what seems to be a bug, if one can believe the manual about the infinity thing.

The manual describes a more sophisticated process and I wanted it! :)