Something out of Nothing

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Robert Watcher, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

A second set of images that I took early this morning before the sun rose over the horizon.

I noticed a bunch of cut down trees in a pile out in a field. The shapes and silhouettes were intriguing. I took a few different combinations such as these 2 image:

About a half hour later - on my way out of that area - I passed the setting that I had taken, and realized really how uninteresting the pile of rubble was - not nearly as majestic as I had presumed:

• Like Like x 13
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Superb composition on the second image. Kudos.

Daylight tends to under-dramatize certain things. I prefer to capture stills of landscapes when dark so I can have more control of light.
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    While the patterns are interesting it's the colors that caught my attention. Guess it pays to get up early! :rolleyes: :biggrin:
  4. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    simple, uncluttered & quite striking - very nice capture. Well done.
    Second one stands out for me too.
  5. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    I am finding I like to shoot more and more around sun raise and sun set. the
    colors and landscape is just amazing. well done.
  6. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

You know - with this shot, I spent a minute ot two moving my tripod a few feet from side to side to get the exact viewpoint I wanted. There was something about the look of the sihouette in the sky that reminded me of a picture I had seen before - - - but I couldn't put my finger on it - until I processed it.

I don't know why, but this image reminds me of the famous "Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima" photograph. As soon as I opened by pic in Photoshop, the name of the photo came to my mind and I looked it up - (File:WW2 Iwo Jima flag raising.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). And even expanding on that theme of war - the black logs sticking up out of the ground, appear like small canons or artillery of some sort.