Something odd going on with EM5 deliveries

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thinkcooper, Apr 16, 2012.

1. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    It seems really weird that even the Olympus US store and Amazon/B&h (their top US retailers) aren't able to confirm order fulfillment dates. Googling weather for trans-pacific freight shipping issues turns up nothing of concern.

So I'm wondering, based on personal experience of managing a widely sold commercial product, if corporate has withheld shipping based on early user reports on Dip****Review of noise and paint sensitivity. As a manufacturer, Olympus wouldn't want to face the cost/prospect of warranty/returns if there were legitimate concerns surrounding the product in those two areas. Have they held back fulfilling orders until they can check in with QA/opps to verify that there either are or are not risk costs with shipping black bodies and kits?

Obviously this is complete conjecture, but without a weather delay on pacific shipping, what else could explain even their internal store from not being able to even verify an approximate fulfillment date beyond "soon"?

Why am I reminded of chicken little on the paint/noise issues? If I've ruffled feathers, apologies in advance, but it's something that has me thinking.
  2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    That's probably it. The big stores get a different shipment than the smaller stores. There are some issues, and rather than facing recalls, they send it back to fix it. Some things like the white iPhone took months to fix.
  3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Plausible for sure. Cheaper for Oly to just sideline the bad batch cams while better QC units can be rushed in. Fix the bad units later without ever having distributed them. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  4. nueces snapper

Covers their ash over a boatload of bad press as well.
  5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I think you should put your tinfoil hat away. :wink:

Doing a worldwide launch ain't easy, and face it there has been an inordinate amount of demand for this camera. Yes it's mid-April but don't expect the E-M5 to be in the hands of every single person who has ordered it yet.

Don't forget the GH2 had supply issues for MONTHS when it was finally available, especially in the US. But Panasonic's been known for that. :tongue:
  6. nueces snapper

You're probably right. I will retrieve my hat next couple days though if none of the big houses can still not tell us anything. :rolleyes:
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My personal guess, and this is just a guess, is that they got too many pre-orders and Olympus can't fill them all together. So the dealers are probably able to ship some out but not every pre-order they received... meaning that they won't give customers a confirmation date because each customer may be in the first shipment or the second shipment, or whatever. If they tell everybody the date is the 16th, but can only fill half the orders for the 16th, then they'll be labeled as "late".

After all, there are already many E-M5's out in people's hands all over the world. Obviously, the cameras have been shipped. The ones who seem unable to confirm shipment dates are the largest major online retailers like Amazon and B&H, as well as Olympus USA. I am sure they are the ones who had received the most pre-orders, judging by comments I've read on these forums.

Plus, another thing I noticed people have been doing, is to pre-order from multiple locations then cancel or return any excess orders after their desired camera arrives. That means that even the dealers do not know exactly how many orders they can fill with a shipment, because extra stock can be opened up at any time from cancellations.
  8. nueces snapper

Oh, Ned!

There you go being sensible and smart again. :biggrin:
  9. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Only reason I'm thinking this was, I've been doing worldwide launches of consumer products for fifteen years, and we always monitor those first early days of the release to see it there's a liability our QA didn't expose, then turn on the pipeline after a day or two for the full distribution (including amazon where we've been in their top ten for graphics software products many times). Catching the eye of the product manager would be DPRevew, a site tht is unfortunately both hysterical and influential in the consumer review/pro review/new user reference arena... And those first reports? Well, if I were product manager, I'd want to be sure that any issue were put to bed.

However, my personal sense is that the issues we're Hearing about lean closer to hyper sensitive hysteria then legit.

Ned, good points on there being units in the market, but here in the US where it's only been silver product, which hadn't garnered any paint gripes, and may be a safer bet for he Oly PM to green light.

BTW, it ain't paint, it's powdercoat! The same tough as nails finish on most mountain bikes, motocross frames, and other tough exposure metal objects.
  10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Maybe someone should set up a poll for current EM-5 owners: How did you obtain your camera?

1) Large online retailer (e.g Amazon/Adorama/B&H/J&R)?
    2) Olympus America?
    3) Local brick and mortar camera store.

My guess is nearly all the folks who now have the camera in their hands got them from a local brick & mortar camera store
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I agree M4/3. Without taking an official poll, I can say that the ones I've heard talking about their new E-M5s have all gotten them from local brick and mortar stores or didn't leave a hint as to where they got it. Most stories start with... "the store called me and told me to come in to pick up my new E-M5!". :biggrin:
  12. Barb

Barb Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    We were told by the reps that Local brick and mortar camera stores would get the cameras first. Online orders would come after that. Apparently Olympus is trying to be supportive of their brick and mortar, non-online, customers. This is not a shock and rather upfront. It is also a good marketing decision. All will be delivered soon, so breathe deep and use your other camera until the new toy arrives.
  13. Rick_B

Rick_B Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    West Haven, CT USA
    Rick Baumhauer
    While it may be true that they are supplying local stores first, it isn't uniform - I'm first in line at my local store (a big Olympus dealer), and they haven't seen a single camera yet.
  14. Barb

Barb Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    UPDATE - National Camera just handed me my black kit with grip. I did hear that only 3 came in but I was lucky to be the first to get one! I am shocked to be first - never happened to me before! I am usually the one waiting forever and missing most of the excitement. Wow, I am now charging the battery. Hang in there, guys. If I have one then the rest will be flooding in...
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Wonderful news, Barb!!
  16. Danphoto

Danphoto New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2012
    Palenville, NY
    Just got a shipping notice from Olympus that my OM-D will be here (upstate NY) tomorrow. Maybe it's karma since two friends were persuaded over the weekend to make the move to m43. ;^}