1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

something little you love about m43?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Jun 19, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    what's something small you love about m43. i love that none of my lenses have rubber focusing or zoom rings. i always hated them and to have so many outstanding lens options without rubber rings is just fantastic. not something i even thought about before switching, but a very happy accident.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I like the live "blinkies" (under- and over-exposure warnings) in the EVF (on Olympus cameras). I hardly ever get the exposure wrong. It's not something that comes automatically with mirrorless either - I've used both a Sony A7Rii and a Fuji X camera recently and whilst both have EVFs, neither provided a blinky function as good as Olympus's.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    I like the IBIS in my EM5. It has opened so many possibilities to get good sharp shots in places where I could not use a tripod and that my old D300 would not have been able to give me good results.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I love the quality of the EVF on my E-M10 II. I also love the fact that I can alter the focus area by touch while using it. And definitely not last, the Art Filters! Pin hole is a permanent fixture on my camera when I'm doing Macro photography. I also am experimenting with the Diorama effect at the moment.

5. Patrick Zurfluh

Patrick Zurfluh New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2016
    Belmont CA
    Patrick Zurfluh
    Live Time (Olympus)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AgentMichaelScarn

AgentMichaelScarn Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Touchpad autofocus, fully articulating screen, Leica lenses, 4k video, silent shutter, focus peaking, and of course the light weight (= two body shooting is easier). Other cameras may have some of these features, but you can get them all in one M43 body!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I prefer the opposite which is why I only used Panasonic lenses.

8. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    While I now use Fuji for stills I still prefer the Olympus E-M5 for it's video quality.

9. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    The Olympus 45mm f1.8. Yes, there are better lenses, yes, every system has a fast portrait prime (or three), yes, it's an older lens compared to the 42.5. But bang for buck for the sort of pictures I take, it's an absolute treasure. Beautiful Bokeh, sharp images, and with the hood it makes my gx7 look super sexy pants.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    I love the EFV and live composite on my E-M10 II. It's words away from my old Canon XTi. I fee like I'm living in the future! Oh! And IBIS. I've never had anything like it on a camera before.
    Also love that the camera looks a lot like the SLR cameras I first learned on. I have received more comments on how my camera looks than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    The fact that I get a whole system with a body, either a GX7 or 8, the reach of 9-300 mm, plus some fast primes, a flash and other paraphernalia in a Lowe Photorunner, and still have room to spare... :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Touchpad autofocus. Honestly can't live without it at this point. Every time I use a camera without a touchscreen (that isn't 100% manual focus) I just default to focus/recompose because moving AF points without a touchscreen is just so slow and clunky and frustrating by comparison.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    4:3 aspect ratio. I prefer it to prevailing 3:2 aspect ratio.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I keep getting surprised how effective shooting a wide angle at f/1.8 at night handheld with IBIS can be. There's still plenty of DoF, and it's pretty easy to trade ISO versus shutter speed for noise versus motion blur.

15. Having such a wide assortment of lenses available to use..including legacy. More options than any other system.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I agree with overexposure/underexposure "blinkies" from olympus. I prefer this over the zebra pattern overexposure warning from panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    leica lenses at a fraction of the leica price tag.

yeah yeah I know they aren't real leica lenses... but still.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Price and used market.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Tiny primes!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Your can set up very different camera/lens configurations, EM1 w/12-40 and GM5 with 12-32, depending on your needs and limitations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1