something little you love about m43?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Jun 19, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    what's something small you love about m43. i love that none of my lenses have rubber focusing or zoom rings. i always hated them and to have so many outstanding lens options without rubber rings is just fantastic. not something i even thought about before switching, but a very happy accident.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I like the live "blinkies" (under- and over-exposure warnings) in the EVF (on Olympus cameras). I hardly ever get the exposure wrong. It's not something that comes automatically with mirrorless either - I've used both a Sony A7Rii and a Fuji X camera recently and whilst both have EVFs, neither provided a blinky function as good as Olympus's.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    I like the IBIS in my EM5. It has opened so many possibilities to get good sharp shots in places where I could not use a tripod and that my old D300 would not have been able to give me good results.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    A. Quia
    I love the quality of the EVF on my E-M10 II. I also love the fact that I can alter the focus area by touch while using it. And definitely not last, the Art Filters! Pin hole is a permanent fixture on my camera when I'm doing Macro photography. I also am experimenting with the Diorama effect at the moment.
  5. Patrick Zurfluh

Patrick Zurfluh New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2016
    Belmont CA
    Patrick Zurfluh
    Live Time (Olympus)
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AgentMichaelScarn

AgentMichaelScarn Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Touchpad autofocus, fully articulating screen, Leica lenses, 4k video, silent shutter, focus peaking, and of course the light weight (= two body shooting is easier). Other cameras may have some of these features, but you can get them all in one M43 body!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I prefer the opposite which is why I only used Panasonic lenses.
  8. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    While I now use Fuji for stills I still prefer the Olympus E-M5 for it's video quality.
  9. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    The Olympus 45mm f1.8. Yes, there are better lenses, yes, every system has a fast portrait prime (or three), yes, it's an older lens compared to the 42.5. But bang for buck for the sort of pictures I take, it's an absolute treasure. Beautiful Bokeh, sharp images, and with the hood it makes my gx7 look super sexy pants.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    I love the EFV and live composite on my E-M10 II. It's words away from my old Canon XTi. I fee like I'm living in the future! Oh! And IBIS. I've never had anything like it on a camera before.
    Also love that the camera looks a lot like the SLR cameras I first learned on. I have received more comments on how my camera looks than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    The fact that I get a whole system with a body, either a GX7 or 8, the reach of 9-300 mm, plus some fast primes, a flash and other paraphernalia in a Lowe Photorunner, and still have room to spare... :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Touchpad autofocus. Honestly can't live without it at this point. Every time I use a camera without a touchscreen (that isn't 100% manual focus) I just default to focus/recompose because moving AF points without a touchscreen is just so slow and clunky and frustrating by comparison.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    4:3 aspect ratio. I prefer it to prevailing 3:2 aspect ratio.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I keep getting surprised how effective shooting a wide angle at f/1.8 at night handheld with IBIS can be. There's still plenty of DoF, and it's pretty easy to trade ISO versus shutter speed for noise versus motion blur.
  15. Having such a wide assortment of lenses available to use..including legacy. More options than any other system.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I agree with overexposure/underexposure "blinkies" from olympus. I prefer this over the zebra pattern overexposure warning from panasonic.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    leica lenses at a fraction of the leica price tag.

yeah yeah I know they aren't real leica lenses... but still.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Price and used market.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Tiny primes!
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Your can set up very different camera/lens configurations, EM1 w/12-40 and GM5 with 12-32, depending on your needs and limitations.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1