Something just occurred to me: Rokinon 14mm + Speed Booster!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by wushumr2, Oct 7, 2014.

1. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Okay, so was looking at the 14mm 2.8s and saw one for 4/3. That's probably the most solid 28mm-e you could hope to get for any mount, much less 4/3-m4/3. But since it's actually a full-frame lens, why not buy a Nikon or Canon one and Speed Boost that s***? If I'm not mistaken, you'd end up with a 20mm f2 equivalent lens with what should be INSANELY sharp results.

And even with the Speed Booster you'd be looking at about the same price as a 12mm f2.

Someone should try this out on one of the larger bodies!
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Isn't that lens huge? Wouldn't the Rokinon/Samyang 12 f/2 be easier to handle?
  3. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    but at the end, 12 would be smaller, one stop faster, native with autofocus... why bother with an adapted lens, for the same price and probably similar IQ?
  4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    even still, 20 - 24mm is a noticeable difference
  5. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    It would be wider and the speed would be the same (speed-boosters give you a one-stop "boost"). Personally, I prefer native AF lenses though.
  6. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    The native 12mm is the most sensible purchase - but I'd be interested to know what the Samyang 10mm 2.8 is like with a speed booster.
  7. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    forgotted these :p

in any case, you get an heavier, larger lens, no af. with the 12mm, if you want to go wider, you can add a good wide converter, and still get a small fast and native lens.

an option could be take a 12mm samyang for m4/3 and a wide converter, you will save some money, and get another FL with, still @ f/2
  8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I bought the 85/1.4 with a speed booster & its not tolerate wide open & its way too big to enjoy
  9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    tjdean01 - which focal reducer?

Metabones Speedbooster with Sigma 85mm f1.4 examples from an earlier thread -

Metabones Speedbooster with Samyang/Rokinon 14mm examples from an earlier thread

One more here... wideopen I suspect...

and with the lens on the E-PM1

Just be aware that the Samyang can have QA issues, so make sure you buy from someone where returning is painless.
  10. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Here's one wide open and one of the more difficult shots of the day with the bird on the other side of a shaded tree and i had a narrow gap to even sight it, this is with the Roxen Reducer on the Cine version.
    Shows how we are all different as I love the handling and feel of the Cine version and whilst it is heavy it's similar to the 12-60 so suits me.

_EM42149 by aussiephil1960, on Flickr

and in reply to the OP, whilst I love the manual lenses and speed boosting them once your in the same dollar area as the native 12mm you may as well get the O12 and get the AF benefits and size/weight benefit.
  11. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    I don't particularly want the 12mm, because a) NOT WIDE ENOUGH!, b) apparently outresolved by the 12-40 which can be had for not that much more than the 12mm, c) not that much better than the 9-18.

Using wide converters on the 12mm and all that doesn't work if you're actually after ultimate image quality. Not saying I am, but if I was using an E-M5 or E-M1 (the latter of which I have), my 12-60 and MMF-3 is probably heavier than the SB and 14mm. Plus as someone mentioned somewhere else, the VC 58 1.4 would become a 85 f1...*drool*
  12. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah that should be a sweet sweet combo. Would love to see a comparison with the native portrait lenses.

The Metabones Speedbooster and 14mm combo is 687grams in weight. Just weighed them.