1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Something I found insightful..

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Djarum, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    • Like Like x 3
  2. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well it's something we all came to think but could not say...because of our delightfull better half.:smile:

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'm the luckiest photographer - my wife takes as many photos as I do! We've got very different styles. It's always interesting to compare the different images that we've taken of the same place...

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I agree 100%. I enjoy the community aspect of sharing photos, but when creating them, solitary works best for me.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Tell us if she has a sister.:smile:

6. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I had previously read that post and it confirmed for me what I had been thinking for some time.

Even when I am out with a friend who enjoys photography, our different styles and interests caused one of us to wait for the other or to hasten our process. It compromised the end result.

I think such compromise is fine at events where my friend and I enjoy the other's company, and photography is secondary, but for serious shooting, I think one must be a lone hunter.

7. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Thanks!

Great read! Thanks for sharing.

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    What he says is so very true. I do combine photography with family holidays, but here's how I do it. I get up before dawn and sneak out while the others are still sleeping and return about 9.00am just as they are starting breakfast. In the height of summer that gives me about 5 hours shooting time, at the time of day that is best for me as a landscaper. The rest of the day I don't exactly put my camera away, but it's casual snaps only.

There is only one friend in whose company I can seriously work. He is an artist and we can happily work by ourselves at the same location for a couple of hours, each ignoring the other as if he didn't exist. Only afterwards do we compare photographs and watercolours. In recent years, however, he has also taken up photography and going out with him now just doesn't work, unless he takes his sketch book instead of his camera!

• Like Like x 1
  9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Wonderful read, thank you.

Now the question is...do you share the link with the wife? :eek:

10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I find when shooting, I find it to be more enjoyable to do it solo, except when shooting people:wink:

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ah yes, the lone wolf/hermit, immersed and obsessed, to lose oneself in the craft ... goes for way more than photography. Family and friends are the polar opposite ... there can be only one alpha. A pair of lone wolves synched is a rare treasure not to trifled with.

12. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Oh, the punishment we take for this thing called "photography'!!

We don't eat, we don't go out, we scrimp on everything and then blow it all in one shot. Now, we give up sleep to feed the monster too! :biggrin:

13. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    The worst of it is there is no known cure and it's normally a life-long affliction! :eek:

14. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    I'm lucky to have a husband who, whilst I think may not let me gallavant off to Paris, doesn't baulk at me disappearing off for a weekend or two a year with my camera club mates to the seals at Donna nook, or motor racing..
    I have one particular good friend who I can happily shoot alongside or nearby whilst we don't get in the way of each other and can happily either natter or be quiet with.

I can't concentrate on taking really good keepers with the kids in tow but the pictures then are different memories, but sometimes I lose sight of that and think I can...

Really good article, thanks for sharing.

15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My SO is all about landscapes, and I'm a tad landscape challenged. Lol

But I get to do all the random street photography I want.

- Eliot