1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Something for the oldies

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by phigmov, May 4, 2015.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    People of a certain age will remember the Commodore 64

You can now convert images to look like a C64 image at

http://c64.superdefault.com/

For example . . .

Convert
    _0004224.

Into
    download.

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  2. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I still have an Executive 64 (their sewing machine style "Portable"). It still works and is still fun to get out and play with from time to time, but even I have a hard time understanding the appeal of this particular web page.

3. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    Hope this doesn't start a fanboy war but all the cool kids had the Spectrum 48K, was way better than the C64.:p

:D

• Like Like x 2
  4. GBarrington

By the time ANY personal computer came out, I wasn't a kid. But as I recall, all the cool kids, at least the cool guys, reeked of "Hai Karate" or "English Leather" cologne, and carried condoms that would NEVER get used but were useful for impressing each other during lunch at school.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Personally I think the BBC model B we had beat both even before its various upgrades, but the C64 was well ahead of our first home computers - The Compukit UK101 only had 1K memory, & we had to make our own case for it...

• Like Like x 1
  6. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    Haha, yep, them's the ones.

I never had the pleasure of English Leather, but i can imagine it lol.

7. GBarrington

I don't remember what the cologne smelled like but I remember the TV ads, A young woman in . . .old fashioned garb, on a horse, and displaying enough heaving breasts to make our 17 inch B&W TV seem like the center of the universe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Sounds like the Game of War ads with Kate Upton I keep seeing in this TapaTalk app, on my 5 inch screen.
    [emoji14]

9. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    The Commodore 64 was my very first computer to own. I remember fretting about whether or not I should buy it with the tape drive or this new thing called a disk drive. I decided upon going with the future: the disk drive! :) The Commodore 64 had such a faithful following and there were so many magazines for it too. One of my favorite ones was called AHOY. After selling my C64 I upgraded to the Commodore Amiga (anyone remember that computer?) and loved it. It was so far ahead of the rest of the computers at the time. It was the first to have a dedicated graphics chip. Commodore really fumbled the ball with that computer as it had so much potential. Greed by the bigwigs was the undoing of that company. I miss the Amiga!
    GR

10. Pap

Pap Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2010
    Fleetwood, PA
    Yea, I had one and loved it! Way ahead of the others and the games were so much fun. It was the main unit for sometime used for TV images. And yes, the top level executives killed it. That's one thing that hasn't changed over the years.
    bruce

11. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    My very first computer was an Amiga. I was over 30 when I got it, and can remember thinking before I made the plunge...."Why would anyone want a computer at home?!". My how times have changed with myself having two laptops, one desktop, one netbook, an iPad and Note 4 phone. I really need a life!!!

12. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    So are you saying the Amiga computer started you down the road to needing a life! :)
    GR

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Same history hear. I remember taking my Amiga 1000 into the office. Folks marveled at Flight Simulator compared to the DOS version. I even used a 3D SW package, TurboSilver I think it was named, to model our Data Center in 3d and used fly through a of various configurations to demonstrate the optimal layout. The tape drives took quite awhile to get right [emoji4]

Funny. I don't think I've enjoyed any games as much as I did Silent Service and AH64 Apache on the 64 and an online MMU named AirWarrior as much since. Oh the credit card bills Airwarrior generated !

Amiga was a phenomenal PC.

14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As long as we're taking a trip down memory lane, I'll share my first computer gaming experience. It was playing Oregon Trail on a terminal in the school library. This terminal consisted of a keyboard and a huge dot-matrix printer (that's it, no display) and gameplay consisted of watching the instructions as they printed and responding appropriately (things like "TYPE 'BANG' TO SHOOT A BUCK" and "YOU LOST A WAGON WHEEL AND 20 POUNDS OF FOOD FORDING THE RIVER").

All you kids with your fancy Amigas and Commodores need to get off my lawn. :p

15. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I remember polio too....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Commodore 64 was my first computer too. Mostly memories of lode runner, which I actually played on my laptop recently via an emulator... It's still a great game.

Also if you are nostalgic and haven't heard of it, I'd recommend watching 'Halt and catch fire'

17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's almost as bad as the 4-bit greyscale "adult" images my co-worker had on his original Palm Pilot. Never could understand how one could get too excited about those.....

18. GBarrington

Us computer geeks have always needed a life, it was just that the computer helped define the boundaries of what life we had!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    KIDS!!? I was closer to 40 than 30 when I got mine! I paid more for that machine than my i7 desktop last year!

• Like Like x 1
  20. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith