Something for landscapes but I have no idea what!

jeadows

New to Mu-43
Any of the m43 12-* lenses will do fine and quite a lot of landscape's been done with 14-* over the years too. It's really mostly about how one sees and what kind of stories one wants to tell. The ultrawide range can allow more context to be shown and not having to stitch both simplifies the process and makes getting a particular moment in time easier. However, it can have a way of demanding foreground or large-scale ground and sky patterns which can fill the greater angle of view. The perspective effects of projecting an ultrawide onto a flat sensor are also such that wider isn't always better; folks often struggle some with this, though it's seldom mentioned the extra width can be advantageous when warping images for perspective correction. I also frequently use short and long telephotos to isolate landscape portions which are of interest, mostly the 50-200 range.

So I'd suggest looking at what lenses you have and where you might want to go with things. The 12-50, 12-60, and 14-* superzooms are all fairly versatile and low cost options for general exploration.

I have watched various people do videos about stitching but forgot all about it, it's something i'd be interested to try but there's a lure to having the simplicity of being able to do everything within one shot also, though I wouldn't rule out at least attempting it.

Wex have a few used examples of this lens in stock, albeit slightly over your preferred budget.

If keeping costs down is really critical and this isn’t a range you will use often then I would also suggest a look at the 12-50 kit lens. It’s obviously not as good as the PRO, especially in low light, but it’s more than serviceable in the right hands. I’ve often been impressed with what @joerg218, @Sinister, and @Snowonuluru (to name but a few) can extract from it. Take a look at the sample thread here

I find it very easy to recommend the 12-40 pro, but it's not an ideal price.

Is a cheap nasty kit zoom an option for a one-off? Gives you a chance to play with those focal lengths, see what you like and buys you the time to save up for the right lens afterwards.

I wouldn't say it's critical but I like to spend wisely guess. If a lens is recommended enough, (which this afternoon alone the 12-40 most definitely has been) then I wouldn't be against going a little over a budget if I need to. The 12-50 could be an option though as it will cover the range and give me an opportunity to explore landscape photography. Used it's maybe £300 less than the 12-40 too. In fact, looking on ebay it's possible to pick it up for around £100. I'm not all about getting anything that's cheap but if it's a decent quality lens for that price...

What do you have already and what do you want to do with your pictures once you've taken them? Although you've had a lot of helpful responses (we LOVE to spend other people's money) until you answer those questions it's hard to be able to advise properly.

I've joined a local club in the last few months that run numerous friendly in club and inter-club competitions which have varying themes that wouldn't mind entering some submissions in to. Aside from that it's also for my own personal interest and enjoyment.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have both the 12-40 and the 12-50 and the 12-40 is a lot sharper. It also allows you to take photos in darker conditions as it is f/2.8. If you can stretch to getting a used one, that would be good. It is shame to have a good camera and then have it restricted in what it can do for you by not having a really good lens.

jeadows

New to Mu-43
I don't need it right this instant so I can take the time to put the extra money together. I don't mind paying more than I had budgeted if it's going to be for something much better than the other possibilities I have considered within my initial budget.

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
Within your budget, the Panasonic 12-60 kit lens gets rave reviews for its price (£200 used, and most are unused kit lenses).
Used Panasonic Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH Power OIS

If you want the Olympus 12-40 which is an incredible lens and my most used zoom, MPB have it but outside your budget. It's worth contacting them or checking this page daily though. I believe a "good" condition lens is around £450. I bought mine from them in good condition about a year and a half ago, and it has been an amazing buy.

Used Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro lens - mpb.com

But there are loads and loads of options that can fulfil your needs, the 12-40 is a premium price and you may feel it is more lens than you need.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I just got a ‘Well Used’ copy from MPB for under £340. It’s perfectly serviceable and I’m glad to have something smaller than my 12-100mm again (GAS? Yeah, I got it bad :dash2: ). If you can hold out you may we’ll get a bargain like I did.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I went with the Panasonic 12-60.
I wanted the wider 12mm end of the 12-60, over the longer 150mm end of the 14-150.
And the little bit of extra reach over the 12-50.
Is it perfect, no, but it is a 'good enough' GP lens for me at this time and this budget point.

I plan to pair it with the 17/1.8 for indoor low light shooting.

If cost were not an issue, my lens of choice would be the 12-100 f/4.
But even that is not perfect. It is significantly bigger and heavier than the 12-60, and even the 12-40 f/2.8, and that could be an issue. Every lens choice involves a compromise.

Similarly, you need to think about what YOUR needs are and determine which of the various lenses would fit best. It can be a frustratingly difficult decision.

Last edited:

jeadows

New to Mu-43
Within your budget, the Panasonic 12-60 kit lens gets rave reviews for its price (£200 used, and most are unused kit lenses).
Used Panasonic Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH Power OIS

If you want the Olympus 12-40 which is an incredible lens and my most used zoom, MPB have it but outside your budget. It's worth contacting them or checking this page daily though. I believe a "good" condition lens is around £450. I bought mine from them in good condition about a year and a half ago, and it has been an amazing buy.

Used Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro lens - mpb.com

But there are loads and loads of options that can fulfil your needs, the 12-40 is a premium price and you may feel it is more lens than you need.

Off the back of reviews/other threads it seems like it's a much better option than the Oly 12-50, it's well within budget too which hurts my bank account slightly less. A dilemma I guess is do I buy once for the longer term or buy twice but with my second purchase being when I have a clearer idea of my wants and needs.

I just got a ‘Well Used’ copy from MPB for under £340. It’s perfectly serviceable and I’m glad to have something smaller than my 12-100mm again (GAS? Yeah, I got it bad :dash2: ). If you can hold out you may we’ll get a bargain like I did.

I never thought I'd suffer from GAS and ohh how wrong I am! I'm in no great hurry either so maybe with a little luck.

I went with the Panasonic 12-60.
I wanted the wider 12mm end of the 12-60, over the longer 150mm end of the 14-150.
And the little bit of extra reach over the 12-50.
Is it perfect, no, but it is a 'good enough' GP lens for me at this time and this budget point.

I plan to pair it with the 17/1.8 for indoor low light shooting.

If cost were not an issue, my lens of choice would be the 12-100 f/4.
But even that is not perfect. It is significantly bigger and heavier than the 12-60, and even the 12-40 f/2.8, and that could be an issue. Every lens choice involves a compromise.

Similarly, you need to think about what YOUR needs are and determine which of the various lenses would fit best. It can be a frustratingly difficult decision.

I'm infuriatingly indecisive pretty much with every little decision I have to make in life so I'm especially enjoying having so many damn options with all their advantages and drawbacks right now! :D A dilemma I am having is the who do I spend something beyond my budget but will because my GP lens and last the foreseeable future or do I start off with something lesser in quality but within my budget whilst I explore landscape and more unfamiliar types of photography and invest when I have a clearer picture of my needs... Both work, I'm just too indecisive!

jeadows

New to Mu-43
Just a little update on the off chance that there's any interest or wonder as to what happened after being offered so many suggestions! I think I changed my mind maybe 400 times and come close to buying a couple of different lenses but patience paid off and I managed to get a 12-40 f 2.8 pro for £350 on ebay. I only got it in the post today so i've get to give it a run but the condition of the lens is mint, so really happy with that little bit of luck!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, deciding by myself was an almost impossible task and all the feedback and suggestions have been beyond helpful!

inthecage

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M Ferencz
I think there are plenty of options at 12, personally the 12-32 seems like a good mix of performance and size. 12-40 clearly a bit better I suppose. I really don't feel a need to go beyond my Pany 15. That's more an issue of style though.

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
Its a solid choice of lenses. I find it is a perfect do everything lens.

Might not be the widest or longest, but the classic landscape focal lengths are 24mm and 85mm so yourey covered.

Gregory

Mu-43 Regular
If you don't have experience with wide angle lenses I would avoid to try a wider lens than 12mm on a trip. Even at 12mm you are challenged with distortion that seems managed well on the little screen but can look awkward on the monitor or bigger print. At least be careful and check the results on a bigger screen as soon as possible. Best light to you!
I really don't see distortion in my landscape shots using the 12-40mm. That may be due to the use of DxO in post.

Latest threads

Top Bottom