Something between 20mm and 45mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sergi, Oct 7, 2012.

1. sergi

sergi Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2012
    Hi everybody,

I would like to improve my equipment with a new lense. I think that the Oly 45 could be a little bit narrow for my style and the Panasonic 20mm is too fast for sunny days. Actually I am not totally confortable with the 40mm point of view. Pany 20mm is a great lense, fast and really sharp but I use it only for night or low light shoots. What I am looking for is a short tele for enviromental portraits and street photography. I have been looking for MF lenses as Nikon 28mm f:3.5 and Nikon 50mm f:1.8, but they are heavy and the adapter makes it all together too big.

As I can see, the options that I have are:

Sigma 30mm f:2.8
    Olympus 45mm f:1.8

and also there is the Voigtlander 35mm f:1.4 or f:2.5.

What do you recommend? Are really voigtlander lenses so different in comparison with native m43 or Nikkor lenses?

Thank you for you suggestions,
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Neutral Density filter for your Lumix 20mm.....:smile:
    • Like Like x 2
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 is currently sitting in my PO Box in the US waiting to be picked up. I won't, however, be able to get across the border until probably Tuesday. But I plan on filling out its adapted lens image thread with photos when it arrives...

Beyond that, my experience with other Voigtlander lenses has been quite positive. I'm also sure you'll find plenty of people who love the price to quality ratio of the Sigma 30mm f/2.8.
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I personally love the 28mm focal length on m4/3. Lots of legacy 28mm lenses out there and some are small and light. I am currently using the Nikon E 28mm the most.

If you like the 50mm but not the weight check out the Pentax 110 50mm and/or the Nikon E 50mm. They are both good lenses but very small and light. The problem with the Pentax is that the lens does not have a built in iris so it f2.8 only{unless you get this adaptor pen 110 lens mount adapter for mFT, with built-in IRIS }. Nikon also made a 50mm pancake in the Nikkor line{same optics as the E lens but with a metal body so it is a bit heavier}.
  5. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    The Sigma 30/2.8 is a wonderful lens. I highly recommend it - and I think it would fill your need quite nicely.

Search the board for the Sigma 30/2.8 pictures and the web for reviews.
  6. Donsantos

Donsantos Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2012
    Like many people before me I'm happy to abandon my 20mm for 14mm + 25mm.

20mm is just too slow and noisy to focus. I'm still keeping an eye on the 17mm 1.8 which couple possibly make me sell both the 14mm and the 25mm.
  7. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Second recommendation for the Sigma 30mm, I bought one second hand two weeks ago, it's got a lovely quality to the pictures it takes. You can't go wrong for the money, it's even cheaper than the 14mm!
  8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    The Panasonic/Leica 25mm f1.4 is a great performer and equates to 50mm on full frame.
    I use the 25mm on my GX1 for street work as well as other shots and it delivers great images, it does have the advantage of working with contiuous focus (something the 20mm f1.7 does not do).

Some images with the 25mm lens

9. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Hexanon 40mm f1.8. Small and light even with the adapter, plus it's an excellent performer.
  10. sergi

sergi Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments.

Ianski, as always, really nice pictures.

Maubrey, the Voigtlander has the advantage that you will always find adapters for future systems. I am really intetested in your opinion about the 35mm f/2.5

11. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Hi Sergi, i have the voigtlander 35 2.5 and really enjoy using it.
    The are different versions , mine is not the pancake one but it is very compact and fits great on my GF1. It is pretty well built smooth focusing with a little stick to turn. Sorry don't know the technical term! And lastly as you point out, the versatility as I also use it on my film range finder as well
    It has good microcontrast and make for good monos. I have used it alot but couldnt find any examples on my drive so I took this one earlier, not an amazing photo or anything but an example nevertheless..
  12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Buy the Sigma. $199 dollars, sharp, fast focus. How can you argue against that?

<a href="" title="Nothing stays the same 2 by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="Nothing stays the same 2"></a>
    • Like Like x 2
  13. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    The post processing on the B&W images is spectacular. Care to share tips & techniques?
  14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Silver Efex Pro2

Hi Rich,

I only shoot Raw, do my basic editing in Lightroom 3 before loading into Photoshop and using Silver Efex Plug in to convert to B&W then save image as 8 Bit file.
  15. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks, I think you just convinced me to buy Silver Efex. I realize there is much more involved to achieve the results that you get, but I like the look of the B&W conversion.