1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Someone talk me out of trying the X system...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by mattia, Jun 21, 2013.

1. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    At face value, I really shouldn't buy into another system. I shot my 5DII again for the first time in a long while, and I love the results, but its size has me rethinking my previous 'I will never let the fullframe go' statements. But the files...wonderful.

Honestly, my ideal would be a full frame mirrorless system - the RX1 points some hints towards what's possible. Obviously nothing quite as small as the mated optimum of lens and body, but still. I was also reminded (again) of just how little DoF FF has at wider apertures. Almost annoyingly so.

I then made the mistake of snooping around Fuji X reviews, looking at samples, being thoroughly impressed by the high ISO quality and even more so by the clean, crisp lower ISO files, and remembering how much I enjoy shooting my manual glass on my 5DII (manual aperture control feels pretty 'right' to me). My MFT system is maturing into more of a high quality zooms/travel setup - while I love primes, other than the 25/1.4 and the 75/1.8, none of the MFT offerings are super exciting to me. I like the 14, the 20 and the 45, and they deliver the goods, but I don't love them like I do my 35L, 50/1.4 sigma and contax/zeiss, or 135L.

So here's the rub. I love the 35mm FOV, so the X100s would seem an almost no-brainer, but for the price. Advantages are the hybrid finder, best AF in the X system, leaf shutter (quiet!) and built-in ND filter. On the other side of the fence sits the XE-1, taunting me with it's very similar looks and ability to tap into the tasty selection of really very fine-looking X-mount lenses (plus Zeiss tuoit, now). With 'only' and EVF and the less-than-awesome autofocus performance to boot. I don't and don't plan to shoot action, and MFT has my telephoto needs covered, so it's not a huge issue for me. Thing is, I really don't need the camera.

(and I should be ignoring the classified ad I found offering an XE-1, 18/2.0, 35/1.4 and Sammy fisheye in X-mount for 1500 euros...I really, really should....)

I've almost convinced myself the best bet is to wait for the next generation of Fujis and decide then. More megapixels would be nice, and better AF ain't a bad thing....

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Did you get a chance to try the 17/1.8? I recently used Data Plot on my photos and I favour the 24-40 mm range overwhelmingly at something like 85%. 35 mm is where I'm at home and Fuji doesn't have one yet, 23 mm f/1.4 soon, but not today.

That being said, I too would be happy with a X100s or RX1.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    X100 is the one to try right now as it's half the price of X100s on the used market. I am checking it out now . First unpleasant surprise is how "dumb" the optical viewfinder is. I didn't realize it was just a hole thru the body. No sense of focus or even right framing because it's a bit to the left and up of the lens. I wonder if X-Pro is the same.
    I like the panorama mode. I wonder why Panasonic doesnt have it. clean ISO 6400 files are also pretty nice, though there seems to be some serious noise reduction going on for faces. I am going to have to see if I can dial it down.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    mattia, if you really think FF is they key for you then maybe wait for NEX options. I think they are definitely coming, not just rumors, but I don't know any details.

Fuji tempts me over and over as well. I grabbed an X100 on the used market for a good price. It is a very cool camera, but ultimately not for me. That helped to cool the Fuji lust a bit.

5. I cooled off from my original intention to buy the X-E1 when it was released. The "pre-processed" look of the Fuji X-Trans files indicated to me that I wasn't comparing like with like by making comparisons between them and other cameras. I also find them too expensive at current prices to use as a "complimentary" system or camera.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    There is nothing magical about Fuji. Fuji is just different. Not different good or different bad, just different. The IQ is subtlely different but not significantly different from MFT or FF.

I have 1D's, OM-D's, XP1's and a X100S. What I appreciate about Fuji is the photographic experience. Sure, the lenses are sharp, but so are my MFT lenses, good high ISO, but so does my FF. It's the look, the physical feel, the handling of the cameras that makes me pick Fuji up more often than FF or MFT.

I love the X100S.

Gary

7. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    If you want to, just do it. You don't need us to validate your decision. :)

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    What Gary said. I have the 17/1.8 and it is my most used lens. Still, I would love to pick up a X100S.

9. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Do it -- you'll either love it or hate it -- in the case you hate it sell it on :)

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you can, try them all!...That way, you won't have any unknowns.. :smile:

11. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    You don't say what MFT body you're coming from.

Coming over recently to the OM-D side of things from an X Pro 1, the autofocus and snappy handling of the Olympus have instantly spoiled me.

Yes, the handling and retro looks and feel of the Fujis evoke a simpler, more romantic time. The images can be gorgeous and the control over depth of field much simpler.

The problem is the time that elapses from you seeing what you want to shoot to the image actually being recorded. There's a lot of monkey motion happening between the press of the shutter release and the camera acquiring focus, metering, stopping down and then firing off the shot.

Too many missed moments for me with the X Pro 1. I hope that Fuji improves the next iteration substantially. I'll probably pick up the successor to the current line of X cameras if they do.

Best of luck.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    DON'T TRY THE X-SYSTEM!!!! (How did I do?)

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The Fuji requires much more anticipatory methodology and crucial timing than MFT or FF. For action stuff I use MTF. For real action stuff (sports) I use FF. For action stuff that doesn't matter Fuji.

I enjoy the tasking required to capture an exceptional Fuji image. It is much different than MFT. But, if I could only own one system it would be MFT/OM-D because that camera does it all in a very nice tidy little package.

Gary

14. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    Federal Reserve plans to withdraw its economic stimulus, causes
    stocks to decline sharply yesterday.

how's that ?

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Hmm...I think I'll hold off for now. Still, its a very interesting, promising system. For now, I'll spend the cash on the upcoming trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos instead :)

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I dunno ... I think you had best take heed of diamos.

17. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I abandoned the Fuji X system (with the exception of my X100 which I'm fond of, since it never pertained to be anything other than it is) due to overwhelmingly disappointing performance in most every aspect. By today's 'reasonable standards' Fuji continued to peddle the 'style over substance' defence. And I found the X Trans output to be hideous.

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I second this opinion. I loved X100 but new Xtran has different output and Colors . But I think there is no harm in trying if you can afford .
    cheers
    Bhupinder

19. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I also got sucked into the Fuji whirlwind and picked up a used X100.

Opening the box for the first time and seeing a beautiful silver and black camera made me smile. But quite frankly I was pretty disappointed as It was slow and I mean slooooow. Updating to the lasted firmware fixed up the horrendous AF and write speeds a little. I stuck with it as everyone else was raving on about it. I am still a little dumbfounded at why people like it so much as I reckon the OM-D is miles ahead in performance. I think I've finally got the colours sorted out so I don't have to worry about RAW's (it takes ages for the camera to write RAW's)

Here are my settings for those who would like to try.

Image quality: F
    Dynamic Range: Auto
    Film Simulation: Provia/Standard
    White Balance Shift: -3 Cyan -2 Yellow
    Colour: High
    Sharpness: Hard
    Highlight Tone: Standard
    Shadow Tone: Hard
    Noise Reduction: Standard

I have ISO assigned to the FN button and adjust that accordingly to the light situation.

Straight out of camera Jpeg using the above settings.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/9105217431/" title="Men at work by iconindustries, on Flickr">"800" height="531" alt="Men at work"></a>

20. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Brad
    Welcome to the X100 club.. I bough twice and sold twice and now I am gonna try DP2Merill which is sitting in my room and I haven't unpacked it. If Fuji was slow , how slow Sigma will be. I am still thinking if I should keep it or send it back.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder