Someone talk me out of going back to full frame...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by deepestbluest, Jan 7, 2013.

1. deepestbluest

deepestbluest Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    I left FF (FX, D700 to be exact) in late Summer and picked up an OM-D. Love this camera, so much fun. It's lived up to my expectations and then some. I've had the privilege of owning quite a few Oly and Panasonic lenses (PL25, Voigtlander 25 - gorgeous, 45/1.8, 75/1.8, 14/2.5, and just recently 17/1.8) and I have a friend who shoots M43 too so I've gotten my grubby paws on a 12mm f/2 and the 60mm macro as well.

this camera simply rocks, and it does 80% of what I'd like it to do.

But sometimes, I just yearn for FX. Bear with me: I love, love, love fast wide primes. My 35mm f/1.4 and 24mm 1.4 made me smile just to mount on my D700. The subject isolation, the bokeh, the "3D feel" everyone speaks of. M43 doesn't come close to that. Closest it came was the Voigtlander, which cost me $1k new and was manual focus. I've been eyeing the 17.5mm but I just can't justify that price for an MF lens with my income right now. I just received my pre-ordered 17mm f/1.8 in the mail and while its a nice lens, there's absolutely zero subject isolation or 35mm feel I've grown to love in a lens.

I also like shooting available light, and the noise (especially when pulling blacks) from the OM-D sometimes bothers me. I feel that even at ISO 200 I'm noticing noise that wouldn't show up in a fullframe body until ISO 800. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Lastly, the AF system in the OM-D, while amazing, bothers the absolute hell outta me. Why didn't olympus think about changing the AF point size? I know you can on the touch screen, but it's infuriating when you check your pictures and the background is in sharp focus, your subject just a bit blurry - because the camera was racking focus between background and subject - that AF point being too large.

Right now I own the following:

OMD/grip
    17/1.8 (just got it)
    45/1.8
    75/1.8

What I would get if I sold/traded the OM-D
    D600
    Sigma 35/1.4 *swoon*
    Nikon 85/1.8G

So we're looking at the same value here.

Oh, and last but not least, I have a stockpile of old Nikon AI-S glass: 28/2.8, 50/1.4, a tele and a macro, so that factors in. I can always adapt these lenses but they won't have the same feel as they would on FX obviously.

Will I really see a huge difference in image quality? Has anybody gone back and missed your trusty OMD?

Input greatly appreciated!!

2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I used to feel the same way until I learned how to use the Fn2 button to decrease the size of the focus box.

3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I used to feel the same way until I learned how to use the Fn2 button to decrease the size of the focus box.

4. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Probably go back to FF then. M43 will never have a 24 1.4 equivalent in terms of background blur. If that is important to you then you only really have one option, and while I'm sure your OM-D will miss you, it will find a good home ;)

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    And what's so wrong with 17.5mm/0.95? :p

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Why one or the other? Get both. A good quality D700 used, is cheap right now. That new Sigma 35mm f1.4 is spectacular. Better than the Nikon and significantly cheaper. I agree with the swoon.

When I need new gear I just put something I don't want on eBay. Usually one of the kids.

And I totally agree with you about the size of the focus box.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  7. From your post it sounds like you didn't/don't have all that much reason to sell the Nikon and switch to the Olympus in the first place.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I understand the feeling. The E-M5 is a perfect travel camera and does a lot very well, but my 5DII with a 35/1.4 or 50/1.4 (or 135/2.0) is in a league of its own. Main reason I'm keeping both systems.

9. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The new Siggy 35 is quite simply amazing. Do it!

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

Since you miss shallow DOF with wides and yearn for your old full frame system, it sounds like you should go back to that. Whether you will then miss your E-M5 and lenses and yearn for MFT - I have no idea.

I recently added a D600 to my MFT stuff and wouldn't personally consider "switching" to the Nikon system. I find the Nikon AF system to be painful in use, often failing to lock and/or take a picture when I want it to do so in lowish light. It's also large and super heavy. And no, I do not really see a huge difference in "image quality". I do see more shallow DOF.

11. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Asia.Ph
    I traded my OMD for a D600 3 months ago, I still keep thinking about it lol, I would uy another in a hearbeat and run 2 systems. I kept all my legacy glass, I used to love using the Konica 40mm on it and the OM 50mm.

Ive got some old lenses for my D600 but think i need to invest in some newer glass to get the most of it it, what do you think?

Currently I have

5cm 2 (Vinage Nikkor S) 24mm 2.8D, 50mm 1.8D, 28-105 4.5-5.6D, Series E 100 2.8, and a Tokina Orange bezel 20-35 4.5-5.6

What recommendations would people suggest ? I would like the Newer 50G and 85G, I more of a landscape/street style photographer

12. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    Can you really decrease the size of the box? I've seen this option on the GX1, but never on the OMD.

Tapatalk.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Agree with Gordon. I went back and forth between the two, and am much happier with both. Different tools for different use cases.

14. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
  16. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    "usually one of the kids"....:rofl: How much can you get for a healthy one these days?

17. deepestbluest

deepestbluest Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Agreed on all points. I truly wish I could afford both. At this point, I can't. I'm possibly doing some travel here in the near future so I may keep the OM for that, and then dive back into FF after that. But who knows.

The fact that the OM-D is such a great camera that we can have these discussions is pretty amazing.

18. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    6 Camels.

Gordon

p.s. I'ts been a long standing joke with my kids that I'll sell them on the bay if they play up or I see something in a sale brochure I like. My daughter even says to me "looks like Chris is going on eBay", when she thinks he's in trouble.

19. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I'm finding the RX1 to be very satisfying for shallow DOF and generally excellent IQ without having to save for a hernia operation.

20. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    If one really must have the thin DoF of full frame you could pick up a 5D classic body for peanuts. Having said that though I have seen used D700 bodies as low as £750 here which is about £200 cheaper than the OMD.