Someone talk me off the PL 50-200mm ledge

keith1200rs

Mu-43 Veteran
Panasonic does not spec the 2x TC as compatible with the PL50-200.
I am not sure I believe the Panasonic chat - from the Panasonic web site:

upload_2019-6-19_16-13-49.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I am not sure I believe the Panasonic chat - from the Panasonic web site:

View attachment 754716

It is not only the chat, but also the product page from Panasonic. Where is your image taken from?

I see that is from the Panasonic UK site. It is interesting that Panasonic doesn't seem to be consistent about the use of the TC.

If you go to the manual pdf - linked from the UK site - you get this:

cVpNtUF.png

Last edited:

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Slept on it and tried to digest the advice and suggestions, life-choice recommendations notwithstanding.

Some of this boils down to focal length. There's a definite gap from the 12-60 and 100-300 that seems to be important with the logistics. I do have a 45-150, which is not the greatest lens but I'm willing to give it a try. However, the next opportunity is 3 weeks away and the thought of losing the 50-200 for the price would dog me for a very long time.

I've given up on the idea that there's a suitable TC, maybe in the future. It was never really a consideration, although once suggested I realized it would be nice to use a converter on this lens rather than lug the 100-400. Not a deal-breaker.

My 12-60 is weather sealed and is capable of DIS with the G9. My 100-300 is a first version. It is not weather sealed nor is it DIS compatible. Based on that and following the age-old advice of getting the best glass you can afford, I'm gaining much more than a stop and higher quality lens. This is an overall upgrade, and one that I believe to be substantial.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
By that post + thread title, sounds like we've done a poor job here :eek: :oops: :biggrin:

On the contrary! The fact that no one could talk me down indicates that my inclination to purchase the lens is correct.

On the other hand, asking if I should buy a photography related item in here is like asking someone in Ecuador if I should purchase sunglasses...

MadMarco

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought the 50-200 and don't regret it for a second. It's a superb lens and the compact size is a huge advantage for me.
P5036461_DxO.jpg

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
The UK Panasonic page. Also, there is at least one review with the DMW-TC20 Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 50-200mm f/2.8-4 ASPH Power OIS review - Page 2 of 2 - Lumix G Experience

2x TC massively impacts image quality and aperture. I've never seen a zoom where the results with a 2x were worth the tradeoff. As it says in that review, he already lost 2 stops, so it's now f8 wide open. But he had to stop 1-2 stops down to f11-13 for decent (not great) results. Even if the combo was sharper, diffraction would be limiting resolution at that aperture. That's some serious compromises for such an expensive accessory. Makes me think a cropped (or digital TC) f4 shot from the bare lens would be just as good.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
It is not only the chat, but also the product page from Panasonic. Where is your image taken from?

I see that is from the Panasonic UK site. It is interesting that Panasonic doesn't seem to be consistent about the use of the TC.

If you go to the manual pdf - linked from the UK site - you get this:

View attachment 754721
The fine print in the pdf says "As Of January 2018" the 50-200 was announced February 2018.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I wasn't suggesting anyone would buy it - just that it does fit and it does work, even if Panasonic couldn't be bothered to update their web site to show that.

Nonetheless, the amount of detail in the image he posted using the 2X and the lens at 200mm is kind of impressive. I would've thought the quality would be much lower.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Is it better than a crop?

Possibly. I'm not arguing the point, just commenting that the quality is higher than I would've expected. This is based on a thread where the OP showed a very degraded image using the same combination. The photo in the review far exceeds the quality of the image in that thread.

Get the PL 100-400. You can get a copy (used or gray market new) on ebay for around $1000.

Don't get the 50-200. I have it and love it so I know you won't.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Not sure what that comment means, but you're days late. I already bought it. The 100-400 is too much lens for the intended use.

IronOak

Mu-43 Regular
The 50-200mm is one of my workhorses. It’s the lens I use the most. I only wish it had internal telescoping like a traditional 70-200.

Latest threads

Top Bottom