Someone asked for permission to use my photo for a blog. Now what?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by walter_j, Dec 19, 2014.

1. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    I posted a photo on G+, and was asked for permission to use the photo on a blog. I have no idea how to proceed. Anyone have any recommendations for this?
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Well a yes or no would be appropriate. Don't bother asking for money, you won't get any.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Be grateful that they asked for your permission! If you have an account like Flickr that records statistics, you can see when images of yours that get hits from being shared through tumblr, facebook, etc without permission.

Being a blog they probably aren't offering anything other than attribution and a link to your portfolio, so it really comes down to you saying yes just to help them out and for the added exposure, or saying no and deciding to only license your images for money.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If the blog is DPReview, PetaPixel, or other large organization, ask for attribution and payment. If it is smaller, definitely ask for attribution. If they generate ad revenue, don't feel bad about asking for a little something, although don't be surprised if they say no and use someone else's photo. Budgets are razor thin to nonexistent with the small blogs.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I had the same thing happen - was more than happy to have attribution and my web address under the pic.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    Strangely I've been on both sides. One was a travel blog asked me, I granted permission and asked only they credit me they did.

I decided to use a picture of someone else on my blog (which is almost totally my pictures) and theyasked to see how it would be used. I showed them a mockup and they approved with request there was a link to their site (which I did).

Easy if we all play nice :)

As others have said ... nice they asked rather than just using it...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I would also ask that they dont edit or alter your photo in any way. I hate it when people crop and add lettering over my photos.
  8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I have never had someone ask me to use one of my photos. You are lucky.
    I have come across 3 of my photos on 3 different occasions being used by other people..
    They never asked or reply when contacted.
    One of the times I was alerted by my sister, who knows the particular photo in-question and seen it on someones background of their Face Book page. My water mark at the bottom was cropped off.. She contacted the party via FB message (because I do not have a page) and basically asked them to add my credit or remove the photo. She did not get any reply and was blocked.

So yea, your lucky

Boy I miss the Film days
    • Like Like x 1