Somebody please make this camera! EP3 with tilt, capacitive screen!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jul 31, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Walked a bit around Boston yesterday. Street shooting is not my thing. I'm not brave enough. But with the quick AF and the capacitive touch screen, it was very easy to frame up a shot with the camera sitting on my leg and just touch the screen. No one even knew I was taking a picture. If this has the EPL3 (or NEX's) flip screen, it would be incredible! You would walk around, looking down at your camera, touching a screen. It would not at all be intimidating to folks.

Panny could do this, as well, though I prefer the Oly PEN series, so I'm hoping they could add a flippy screen to the EP4 or a touch-sensitive screen to the EPL3.

I posted some shots around Boston here: Two of which (the couple and the mother) were only really possible with the touch screen. If it was flippy, it would have been easier still!
  2. tigertiger

tigertiger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2011
    I agree, the E-P3 should have included both.

Not only is it ideal for street photography, it would have been VERY useful for macro shots.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Good point on the macro, too!
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, I'd have preferred that too. I'm still unsure about whether I'm gonna keep the EP3 or end up with an EPL3 because I'm conflicted about whether the touch screen or the flip up screen is gonna matter more to me. And if the flip screen on the EPL3 will be good enough on a sunny day (the Nex screen was). If they'd have combined them, I'd have been all over that one.

But better yet, street shooting is largely my thing and to me the best of all worlds would be to do this camera with a silent shutter, which might mean a fixed lens as well. That is a camera I'd buy (assuming something in the 28-35mm FOV range). But realistically, my best street shots tend to be done blind, with the camera down around my waist, but not looking at it or the people I'm photographing, allowing me to get VERY close and yet not scare the subjects off. With a GRD3 which has a silent shutter and boatloads of depth of field. So maybe I should just be happy with the street cameras I've got and be happy with the EP3 for what it is and recognize that no camera will ever be all things to me...

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I used my GH2 that way, looking down at the articulated touch screen. It's a little different with it flipped out to the side, but not all that different.

I think the photographer feels invisible when looking down at the screen, but to the person being photographed there is little if any difference. When I hold the camera to my eye, about 20% of people I shoot are looking dead at the camera in the picture (meaning they knew they were being photographed). When I used the NEX-5 from waist height, or the GH2 from waist height, about the same 20% are looking dead at the camera. So, my theory is that failing to make eye contact during the shot makes us feel less conspicuous but doesn't actually make us less conspicuous.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks for the insights Amin

I am so bad at street photography, any tips are appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    We can only guess at what Olympus Marketing is thinking (it's apparent to me they're the ones driving the feature set).

Perhaps they're going the Apple route: trickle out improvements across multiple model iterations. :tongue:

If we're lucky we'll get the tilt screen in the E-P4...
  8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    This approach helps keep sales stronger on each and every model release... and frustrates the heck out of us consumers.

Seems like the E-P4 should include the articulating (or tilting) screen and the overdue sensor upgrade. I'd consider buying one with those features.. unless there comes a similar offering from Lumix (the rumored GF-Pro).

I've done verrrry little street photography and it's an area I'd like to do more of. I don't spend much time on city streets, though. I have used my GH2 a little bit with the articulating screen to capture images in public. But I think a smaller body would perhaps help minimize the obviousness... I do intend to try some street shooting that way with the G3 when I pick it up this week.