Some Vintage Glass I am looking at

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dagaleaa, Jul 3, 2012.

1. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I stumbled upon some interesting Vintage glass, and the prices are good too. I don't know if some of these would even be useable on a GH2 or OMD-5 or worth the trouble....some of them I don't even know what they are?

vintage lens - a set on Flickr

2. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    being a Nikon user, I spotted that nice, vintage 105mm f2.5 right away :) It looks to be in decent shape too. It's a pretty wild mix of lenses and brands, some nice ones in there and like you said, some I don't even know what they are.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Most of those would be adaptable to :43:. The old Russian lenses (Helios and Industar) are most likely M42 mount (some may be M39 SLR mount), so I'd look at picking an M42-:43: adapter first.

I don't think you're likely to find an adapter for the Kodak Astigmatic and the Pentax 645 would require two adapters (e.g. Pentax 645-to-K-mount and K-mount-to-:43:) and I'm not sure it would be worth it. The rest of those lenses (Canon, Yashica, Rokinon, Albinar, etc.) would be usable with the right adapter.

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    avoid the kodak that's an S mount. As far as I know there is no mounting solution that's economicly feasible (I'm sure Grimes could do it, but it'll cost a pretty penny)

the FD 50 1.8 is fine for about $30

The antique FD autofocus would be cool just to own. Maybe not to use, but it's certainly cool looking.

The helios 44 hits an interesting sweet spot in focal length, maybe worth a gamble...

Not sure I trust the older Nikon's. personally got some lemons in terms of fungus. Ask for a pic with an LED flashlight beaming through it wide open. Also I can kind of see something on the front element...

The 75mm 645 A is a medium format lens. that may cause issues with just a ton of light coming into the sensor, if there is even an adapter for that mount. If it's a good price you may want it anyway, The pentax 645 film camera's go pretty cheap these days, and there is a MF digital that will take it too. It's basically the kit lens.

the others I dunno.

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Sorry I may have misunderstood; I thought that you had just bought up this batch of lenses.

If you are evaluating them for purchase, then I'd take a good look at the Russians. I'd probably ignore the non-OEMs (Albinar, Elicar, etc.) unless they were basically throw-ins or dirt cheap (like $5-10 each).

The Nikon is interesting, but as Jim suggested I'd want to evaluate it carefully for fungus as it appears from the low resolution image that some might be present (though it's pretty hard to say at that resolution and with the aperture stopped down.

6. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    The Industar 22 and Industar 61LD are both leica thread mount (M39). They are nice because of their size - smaller than M42, Nikon and FD mount. And, besides that, the adapter is thinner too, because of its shorter flange distance.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk

7. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    no, I have not purchased any of these yet....I found a great source for finding older vintage lens and have been looking at several....thanks for the all the info

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My understanding is that although these lenses fit the M39 screw mount, they are not usable with the Leica M39 rangefinder adapters since these lenses were made for SLRs which required a longer register to accommodate the mirror. I believe the Soviet M39 SLRs had a register of 45.46 versus 28.8 for the Leica rangefinder. In short, while the threads may be the same, I believe a different adapter is required to allow the full range of focus.

9. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    The Industars cars be used on m4/3 via a Leica screw mount adapter (such as Marumi L39-M) mounted to a Leica M to m4/3 adapter (such as Fotodiox L(M)-m4/3). Works very well!

10. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    I use my Industar I-26M and other LTM lenses on a Rainbow Imaging LTM to Mu-43 adapter. It works for me.

11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'll defer to those who've actually used these lenses. I was just passing along (apparently erroneous) info that I read.

Sent from my Android phone using Mu-43 App

12. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

Using former Soviet Union lenses on Micro 4/3 bodies is simple once you determine which combination of mount and register distance you are dealing with. Fortunately, adapters for each of the FSU lenses in this set are cheap and readily available.

The Industar-61 L/D and the Industar-22 collapsible are both M39 mount with rangefinder register. A M39 - Micro 4/3 adapter like this is required.

The Industar-61 L/Z is M42 mount with SLR register. A M42 - Micro 4/3 adapter like this is required. Note the difference in the depth of the adapters to accommodate the different registers. This is a dramatically different lens from the Industar-61 L/D, despite the names being confusingly similar. The L/Z has a very short minimum focus distance which gives it near-macro capabilities.

The Helios-44-2 is M42 mount with SLR register. A M42 - Micro 4/3 adapter is required.

So, if you buy this set, you'll need only two adapters for the four FSU lenses, which will cost you less than $35 at Amazon.

13. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I will defer to others on the Russian lenses. I wouldn't consider the following:
    -Elicar 28mm, wide angles not that good/useful on M43, especially off brands
    -Osawa 70-150, old zooms not good, off brand especially risky.
    -Albinar 28mm - off brand wide angle, although it has macro.
    -Rexatar 135mm - off brand tele
    The above are often seen on the goodwill auction site starting at $5 with no bids. $5 for any lens is OK, if shipping is reasonable.

-I have a copy of the Canon FD 50mmf1.8. It's a good lens.
    -135mm f2.8's are common and inexpensive, so don't pay too much for the Yashica should you want it.
    -The Pentax 75mm F2 would make a great alternative to the $899 Olympus 75mm f1.8 if the price is right. I have no idea what it's worth.
    -Nikon 105, can't go wrong with a Nikkor, unless you pay too much.