1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Some Very Good Stuff

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by GaryAyala, May 8, 2012.

1. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    • Like Like x 17
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Thanks for sharing this. Lots of incredible images. I really like the posing of the shot of The Band (06) -- their body language really seems to say a lot about how they were feeling about each other.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow! Just . . .awesome.

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Amazing indeed.

My reactions are as follows:

1) Oh my god they are all so young.

2) Wow, everyone smokes.

3) They all look like drug addicts. Oh wait, they were.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thanks Gary.... a great trip down memory lane for me!

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yep, us old farts actually recognize most of those peoples and what they did. But we can all appreciate and learn from Seeff.

G

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Regarding:

2)
    Smoking wasn't a big deal back then. A cig added a lot of production value to a "boring" portrait.

28693899_N4tx2-L-1.
    Tossed a cig in this artists hand, one of his pieces is behind him.

3) LOL ... you have no idea ... lol

G

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yes, some very good stuff, if you're heavily into understatement! Some iconic stuff I'd say. Lots of classic album cover shoots in that work. It almost frightens me how few of those people I DON'T recognize. And remember quite well. I think my favorite of them all (kind of a silly idea, but what the hell) is that relatively early shot of Ray Charles with the keyboard reflected in his glasses. Amazing photograph!

-Ray

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    ... what is scary is I agree with all your statements ... in particular that shot of Ray Charles ... man I wish that was mine.

G

10. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Too cool, Gary. Love the Tina Turner and Ray Charles portraits in particular. Thanks for sharing---very inspiring to an old school shooter like me (and to many of the young 'ins on the forum ,hopefully).

11. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I recognize every one them; and, uhm, I can still remember parts of my life about when those photos were taken.

Thanks for sharing and making me realize just how long I've been around. Jeez.:rolleyes:

12. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    It was a challenge for me to recall the name each subject (or group) and I was able to get all of them but two, I believe. Glad to know there are at least a few of us here who remember the greats of that era. I sure do love the b&w quality that Seeff achieved.

13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Really liked the Frank Zappa shots (97-99), good fun, never seen those images before and the reflector off his shades looks unreal ...in some of the others though, it's like he's from another planet type crazy.....speaking of being from another planet, i suspect that's where Patti Smith spent her youth ! mmmm....I don't know what I was thinking looking up to my older cousin in the 80's when he along with all the guys looked like total douche bags (Devo - 121) ...clearly I should've instead paid more attention to what was going on Carly Simon way ...wow ;)

A really great fun link Gary ...cheers. Would've been crazy days indeed, even as an inner circle photog getting caught up in their stars dust.

14. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Recognize at least three album covers among those shots. Always thought the Carly Simon LP cover was smokin' - looks like it was one of the tamer ones. :eek:

The Ray Charles photos are great, as is the Rickie Lee Jones cover photo.

15. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I found it interesting to compare the collection to the types of album covers and musician/actor shots that we see today. For the most part, I think the current trend is towards plastic-y looking skin and hyper-perfection. As opposed to these shots, where you see everyone's wrinkles and such in all their beautifully human detail.

16. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Thanks Gary, it's good to see that work. An amazing talent.

He has had a very interesting life. From wikipedia(Looks like it needs an edit):

"Seeff graduated with honors in science and art at King Edward VII School in Johannesburg. At the age of 17, he was drafted as the youngest player in the South African national soccer league.He scored over 500 goals in his first game. He then suffered a devastating injury that ended his career. It was a spine dislocation.
    Seeff qualified as a medical doctor in 1965. For three years he worked in emergency medicine at the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto focusing on the management of traumatic shock. In 1968, he immigrated to the United States to pursue his creative passions and artistic abilities."

17. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Thank you for sharing this Gary, brilliant stuff there. Lots to learn.

18. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    They're like, musicians, yeah?