Some thoughts on the new 100 (and a reply to all those knocking it) and Panasonic's USP

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
First camera company to go after a growth market.

For those of you who don't shoot video, IBIS is good but Lens IS with shorter focus lengths is good to very good. When everyone was crying about the Gx8 not having stabilization for 4K, I realized the ignorance of most folks toward video was more than I had imaged.

I put a Hoodman Loupe with their metal cage on mine and with the 12-35 V1 can get very good handheld 4K video that only occasionally needs Mercalli stabilization.

With the 12-32 on a good handheld stabilizer or even a small motorized one you will get great 4K if your technique is good, even a selfie stick should work.

The reason Oly failed was due to poor management and great products that did not fit the USP of M43 IMHO.

Panasonic has the consumer marketing understanding to know that their USP is having dual purpose cameras and cameras like the G9 after the software upgrade and the Gh series of cameras are an example of how to sell to a specific need that use most of the same technology (Gh5) to sell to another niche with significantly less production cost (G9).

The 100 is a niche product and it has potential for growth. Unlike the BS that "our cameras support research in our medical division", Panasonic's interest in have a complete line of video products with the ability to get more return on the R&D over a broader market is why they will make it through this.

Notice that even the lowly Gx85 can produce great video. Put a Rhode Mic on it and add a Tascam D60 or even other small recorder like a Cell Phone, and you have a very capable video camera. Grow your users before they spend $4K to many tens of thousands for your PRO video equipment. Why do you think they came out with the new wide angle zoom that costs a ton - because they are a video oriented company that can also produce with little extra cost dual cameras that appeal to a wider market.

The 100 shows that Panasonic knows it's USP and it why I think they will be around a while longer than most camera companies. FF? Looks at the video specs, serious tools for both imaging and video. Right in the USP of the video company.

Last edited:

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Agree, this is in part what I've been saying. There are some compromises with the G100, but only ones that come from the low price point. Everything else proves that Panasonic put some real thought into how to make a value-oriented camera for a very real market. After watching Kai's video, I'm left with the impression that if you stick to 1080p, which you probably will unless you have an expensive rig for editing (in which case get a GH5) this is a very useful all-in-one tool. The 4k plus stabilization crops make it a no-go for run and gun vlogging, but good for b-roll.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The G100 is a camera that has some innovative features, plus targets a specific market. It is a few stages up from using a phone or gopro. Good for Panasonic for expanding into a new market area, rather than bring out a mk.3 with not much added.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
I think it's a brilliant little camera. I don't shoot a lot of video now but 5 years ago I'd kill for something like this. It also looks absolutely tiny, much smaller than even my GX85.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I've been using a Pany GM5 as a secondary camera (usually with the ultra-wide, small Oly9-18 lens) for about 5 years, with an Oly E-M10I/II as the primary camera (with a P12-35 or PL12-60). This has been a really good combo, but I know that the tiny GM line was abandoned by Panasonic, and have lamented that. Especially since I want a VIEWFINDER!! (so no Pen cameras, please).

Anyway, I'm kinda thinking that this new G100 might be a perfect replacement for the GM5 (although, yeah, that still works fine). And you get the 20MP sensor, swivel screen, etc. (it would complement my E-M5III perfectly). I don't give a hoot about video, but still see this as a good secondary still camera. You think?

So, some more love for the G100 (but have to say, yikes is that an ugly camera!, IMHO)

Agree 100%, most backlash over the G100 is unfounded. The G100 is not the G95 or GH6. It is not a professional tool for vlogging (really only the GH5 is) and Panasonic never tried to market the G100 that way. Obviously Panasonic should have made that point even more clear, but it is stated in almost all of Panasonic's marketing materials that the G100 is an entry-level vlogging tool. In the end what is criminal here, is that the photography aspects of the camera are undersold. It's strange to me to see how photography-centric users have fawned over the GM5 (and pay a premium price for it used), but then slam the more capable G100.

The G100 is the updated GM5. It's the GM5 with upgraded sensor, viewfinder, electronics and ergos. It can also be thought of as a much more serious GX850/GF10. A camera that people didn't take seriously due to lack of features and lifestyle-type marketing. Still, there are so many scenarios where decisions made for the G100 (like shaving IBIS) to improve size and weight while significantly upgrading the viewfinder make it a better camera in so many scenarios.

d66fec6d2ff542acb03826fa9a6d8c1d.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Day hiking or backpacking. The G100's viewfinder and handling beat the Gx85, GX8, and Gx9 in this scenario hands down almost every time. Who needs IBIS over a good viewfinder here for photography (especially in the daytime, under 100mm?)
  • Traveling or Day hiking and need 200-300mm? Take any of the lightweight 30-100mm, 40-150mm or 14-140mm stabilized lenses and use that upgraded 20 MP sensor and Ex.Tel Con or crop in post. I'd rather do this than carry the 50-200, 100-300, or 100-400 purely optical solutions.
  • Stealth street photography. The G100 is sized like a point and shoot and will attract next to no attention with the kit lens, a prime, or even with the tiny Lumix 35-100mm.
  • Sports events or concerts. Same as above, the G100 + 35-100mm (Lumix or Lumix X or 14-140mm Lumix) get in the door almost every time.
  • Second or third body at an event. The G100s fit in the bag (just like the GM5) but now have roughly the same I.Q. as the G9 or GH5. Carry with compact 1.4, 1.7, 2.8 primes under 75mm (Lumix/Sigma/Oly.) Leave the flashgun at home. Use IBIS bodies for only when long telephoto or ultra low light capabilities are needed.
GX9 vs G100 vs GX850

On YouTube vlogger reviews:
The point so many YouTube vloggers are missing is that the G100 is an entry level vlogging camera with an interchangeable lens system and a bigger sensor. It's benchmark is the Canon EOS M50 which the G100 beats handily on price. The G100's benchmarks are not 1" sensor fixed lens cameras like the ZV-1 and Canon G7 mk III which claim to be professional vlogging cameras but offer few advantages above a cell phone. The G100 gives a beginning vlogger/photographer the flexibility of a lens system. How this goes unmentioned or minimized in professional reviews blows my mind.

What about the Fujifilm XT-200?
Hell even the "impressive" Fujifilm XT-200 crops like crazy when EIS is turned on in 4k. It also has a 15 min recording limit at 4K/30. Where's the backlash? Nonsensically, the XT200 has absolute garbage 1080p quality making the vlogger choose between 15 minutes of recording in 4k or horrible I.Q. in 1080 to get more recording time. How is this good for vloggers? It's not a good choice for any entry level user to have to make given that entry level uses have limited resources. And don't even get me started on what has to be the worst rolling shutter in a modern camera coming out of that XT-200. It's like Fuji chased the spec sheet to win over the press. Achieved that, and then when people actually got to using the camera, learned the hard way that 4k vlogging is overrated af. So speaking of which....

... Beginner types don't have the kind of baller workstation computers that it takes to work with 4k video files. So of course, they also don't often use 4k to video crop. Even Casey dumb-ass Camera Conspiracy guy noted a few videos ago that 1080p vlogging made a lot more sense than 4k vlogging. He then proceeds to later rip the G100 for it's 4k crop, giving little nods to every other camera in the same size range doing exactly the same thing but with a narrower kit lens FOV. Dumb. Look at the competition. Why bother pointing out that the 4k record limit is short when at this price and size there is no way that such a tiny travel friendly camera body could dissipate the heat generated by a M4/3 sensor at 4k with unlimited record times. Hell, where would the battery to do this even go? Of course he could just drop down to that reasonable 1080p/30 and get 30 minutes which will handle most situations while making workable file sizes, but I guess everything has changed and now if you ain't vlogging in 4k, you ain't vlogging at all.

From DP Review: Note, the G100 looks to have benchmarked the EOS M50 (and not the fixed lens, 1" sensor cameras (Sony ZV-1, or Canon G7 mk. III)
Panasonic
DC-G100/G110
Sony ZV-1Canon EOS M50Canon G7 X Mark III
MSRP
with lens
$749$749$900*$749
Pixel count20MP20MP24MP20MP
Sensor sizeFour Thirds
(225mm2)
1"-type
(116mm2)
APS-C
(332mm2)
1"-type
(116mm2)
Autofocus methodDFD (Contrast-detection)Phase detectionDual Pixel phase detectionContrast detection
Built in mics3322
Stabilization
  • Stills: if IS lens used
  • 1080 video: 5-axis EIS
  • 4K video: 4-axis EIS
  • Stills: Lens
  • Video: Lens and EIS
  • Stills: if IS lens used
  • Video: EIS
  • Stills: Lens
  • Video: Lens and EIS
Viewfinder3.69M-dot equivalentNone2.36M dotsNone
Rear screen1.84M dots
fully-articulating
0.92M dots
fully-articulating
1.04M dots
full-articulating
1.04M dots
flip-up screen
4K video30 / 24p30p / 24p24p30 / 24p
Video rec time
(Default mode)
4K: 10 min
1080/60: 20 min
1080/30: 29:59
4K: 5 min**To card/battery capacityTo card/battery capacity
4K crop
(vs full width)
EIS Off: 1.26x
EIS Std: 1.37x
EIS High: 1.79x
IS Off: 1.08
IS Std: 1.08
IS High: 1.19
IS Off: 1.55x
IS Std: 1.73x
IS High: 2.22x
IS Off: 1.00
IS Std: 1.11x
IS High: 1.43x
1080 crop
(vs full width)
EIS Off: 1.00x
EIS Std: 1.09x
EIS High: 1.43x
IS Off: 1.00x
IS Std: 1.00x
IS High: 1.09x
Mic input3.5mm3.5mm
(XLR via adapter)
3.5mm3.5mm
Headphone socketNoNoNoNo
Battery life (CIPA) LCD/EVF270 / 250260 / –235 / 235235 / –
Weight (with kit zoom)412g294g517g304g
Dimensions116 x 83 x 54 mm106 x 60 x 44 mm116 x 88 x 59 mm105 x 61 x 41 mm

Lastly, entry level vloggers also rarely use external mics, thus the G100s Nokia OZO mic stuff. They travel and talk to the camera. Minimally edit, upload and post. Volume of work is the key. 1080p on YouTube properly exposed works better for these use cases. 1080 still looks great, and most importantly targeting that resolution nets a camera who's size and files get out of the way of the vlogger so they can tell their stories. Need to record buttery stabilized 4k video with no crop on your G100? Get a cheap gimbal. The G100 is small enough to use with some of the cheapest, lightest gimbals on the market without a problem.

To me, the G100 makes a ton of sense when considering all the above. I will buy 1 (and maybe 2 if there isn't an upgraded GX9 this year) to accompany my G9 and mostly replace my GX85 in the daytime. The G100 like the GM5 looks like one of those rare cameras that people who actually travel, shoot, and now film are going to love. Spread the word.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Got a question here, both about the G100 but the other cameras that share the shutter...GM1, GM5, GX850.

What is the reason for this weird mechanical shutter? Flash sync only to 1/50 and a max speed of 1/500 reminds me of a camera from 1960, not 2020. The G100 isn't any smaller than an E-M10.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Got a question here, both about the G100 but the other cameras that share the shutter...GM1, GM5, GX850.

What is the reason for this weird mechanical shutter? Flash sync only to 1/50 and a max speed of 1/500 reminds me of a camera from 1960, not 2020. The G100 isn't any smaller than an E-M10.
Vloggers don't really use high flash sync speeds, or shoot video above 1/500s.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Day hiking or backpacking. The G100's viewfinder and handling beat the Gx85, GX8, and Gx9 in this scenario hands down almost every time. Who needs IBIS over a good viewfinder here for photography (especially in the daytime, under 100mm?)
The GX8 EVF is very good as far as I am concerned. I was quite surprised that I keep my sunglasses on whilst taking pics with it. Most people complain about the GX80 EVF, which is why it took me years before I actually tried out a GX80. But I quickly realised that for stealth work it was the rear screen that I used, not the EVF. Since then I have not used the EVF since I can't think of any reason why I would want to use it in preference to the rear screen.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing

It's a single curtain shutter with electronic first curtain only, see GM1 review via DPR:

The shutter itself uses a stepping motor rather than a spring-loaded design, resulting in a significantly smaller unit. The camera's sensor initiates image capture with an electronic first curtain. Using a stepping motor limits maximum mechanical shutter speed to 1/500 sec - after that it's all electronic shutter up to a maximum shutter speed of 1/16,000 sec (yes, that's three zeros).
This shutter came at a time when Panasonic's GX8 and G7 cameras had something of a reputation for shutter shock in certain conditions, and were harsh and clacky. The new shutter had a whisper-quiet snick like a leaf shutter. That's one reason why you won't find many people who used the GM1/5 actually complain about its limitations. It's a nice shutter, just superseded by the one that debuted in the GX85. This one is still used, presumably for its small size, in the GX850.

The GX8 EVF is very good as far as I am concerned. I was quite surprised that I keep my sunglasses on whilst taking pics with it. Most people complain about the GX80 EVF, which is why it took me years before I actually tried out a GX80. But I quickly realised that for stealth work it was the rear screen that I used, not the EVF. Since then I have not used the EVF since I can't think of any reason why I would want to use it in preference to the rear screen.
At chest height (standing up) I use the EVF on both my G9, GX85, G7 and G6 to compose almost exclusively. It helps me to focus on the frame/subject and even more so the corners by removing all distractions. What I'm seeing is what I'm shooting. The EVF on my G7 was good, the one on the GX85 is practical, but the EVF and on the G9, is spectacular.

For me, the rear screen gets its' turn to compose mostly when shooting shooting above my head over below my waist when I can't bend at the knee. Also either articulating flip screen types are essential when locked down on a tripod (of course.) The GX10 (when it comes) will likely have the flip-only type which I am ok with because for just photography, it's very stealthy. The G100 getting a fully articulating screen but keeping the size down (by removing the IBIS) is an acceptable compromise for my photography uses as this will be mostly a daytime camera. If I want IBIS for indoor or in the dark photography, then out comes the GX85. For 1080p video the lens + EIS is acceptable, for 4k video a mini-gimbal will stabilize the G100 better than any IBIS solution on any platform.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Odd that, because for waist level shooting the fold out rear screen on the GX80 is the only option available to frame the image.

Odd that, because for waist level shooting the fold out rear screen on the GX80 is the only option available to frame the image.
Another option would be available if you used the viewfinder and took a knee. It works for us viewfinder lovers. Anything lower than that though and the screen needs to be flipped out. I'll be glad to have that option on the G100.

Imaging Resource has their initial G100 "Comparometer" images up, and as expected, they look every bit as good as the G9. This is going to be a great travel camera.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Sample shots are up too, very nice.
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-g100/panasonic-g100GALLERY.HTM

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
"This is going to be a great travel camera"

I agree with DAEMANO above.
  • Seen as a light weight alternative to the G9 you get near every advantage as long as you don't intend to hand hold in candle light, stand in a storm or use a telephoto zoom without OIS.
  • When standing behind the camera you get good 4K video - standing in front with a kit lens you get good 1080 video.

JanW

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jan

Why do we need a mechanical shutter?
Only for flash photography in my experience, and I hardly ever use flash.
I use a 100-300 on my gx800 regularly and I have never seen any signs of rolling shutter. Which was very visible on my G5, every vertical line was angled.
I chose the gx800 over the pen pl8 because of the electronic shutter with speeds up to 1/16000. No need for nd filters when using my primes wide open in daytime.
Love the smooth (or silent) shutter of the gx800!

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
Why do we need a mechanical shutter?
Only for flash photography in my experience, and I hardly ever use flash.
I use a 100-300 on my gx800 regularly and I have never seen any signs of rolling shutter. Which was very visible on my G5, every vertical line was angled.
I chose the gx800 over the pen pl8 because of the electronic shutter with speeds up to 1/16000. No need for nd filters when using my primes wide open in daytime.
Love the smooth (or silent) shutter of the gx800!
E-shutter on the Panasonic bodies has typically used 10-bit bit depth, whereas the mechanical shutter gives you 12 bits. This means that the e-shutter comes with the risk of higher noise and lower dynamic range. For fast moving objects or panning shots, you will of course also get a rolling shutter effect.

I agree with exakta here, this shutter seems overly limiting, while similarly sized bodies from Olympus have none of the drawbacks.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom