1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Some thoughts on my EP5 after 9 months....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Sep 24, 2014.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I tend to keep my digital cameras for a while (replaced my d70 with a 7000 when it came out, and replaced my D200 with a D7100 in Nov., 2013) and this year I upgraded my EPL1 (bought in 2012) with an EP5 specifically for IBIS and video. I am an "old guy" and the styling of the EP5 raised some warm fuzzy memories of the Olympus Pen. When I bought the EP5 Shutter Shock was an issue but I knew by having the right lenses/shutter speeds I could stay away from problematic shutter speeds, the software upgrade solved any issues I had with the camera. My m43 system is my air travel kit. I only have 4 lenses (Kit 14-42 R, 40-150, the Pany 14mm with GFC1, and the amazing Sigma 30mm). So far the camera has exceeded my expectations (I use it with the VF2 that I had for my EPL1) and most amazingly for me, is that I have found that even the video is not that bad if you take care in not panning too fast, and use the Mpeg 720 for any motion stuff - it grades amazingly well and it is about a 32 megbit codec (I use this and the 720 60 FPS from my D7100 for slow motion) and the BCC Upres plugin in vegas to get very good 1080P 30 fps final.

Most important for me is how well this camera fits into my intended use (travel and photography with wife). I often ware cargo pants with the Pany 14mm and no EVF on the EP5 for a great hidden gem (often have the GFC1 and/or the sigma 30mm in the other large pocket). From video to stills this combination works so well that I have a feeling the EP5 will last as long as my D200 (8 years). The ability to use my smart phone adds an additional level of functionality when traveling that enhances the trip experience for me. When I travel to "uncivilized locations" I take the camera with the 14-42R in a very small bag and the 40-150 (in an old Hoodman Loupe case) which gives me an incredible range and few lens changes in often dusty environments. The IBIS allows me to take video for microstock without a tripod or image with the 40-150 long after I could hold in steady at dusk.

I often have the GWC1 and Mcon1 with me on these trips and the little flash works for macro and fill illuminations well. The SCP panels makes most of the key settings I need a single button push away and the "I" setting or scene is great when I want to be in the group image for others to use the camera.

I will admit that at $1K I probably would not have bought the camera - although it was probably worth that at introduction. I bought mine refurb at Oly America with a 20% coupon, and believe it might be the most price/value photographic purchase I've ever made.

The one thing that is hard to quantify about this camera is how it feels and operates. There, for me, is a synergy with this camera that allows me to crate without the camera getting in the way. The feel in the hands, for me, is perfect for such a small camera - I don't want a bigger grip because I put this in my cargo pants pocket. I've taken this camera into places where "no cameras" except for PS cameras and no one has said anything. I hope that we do see an EP6 with 4k video because that is probably the only camera that I'd get to replace my EP5 - and I don't really need 4K but that appears to be the current "must have spec".

While my main system is Nikon, I would with out any reservations except for very fast movement stuff, shoot any assignment that I have done in the past (retired now) with the EP5. It is a great camera that gets little respect here in the US IMHO.

• Like Like x 10
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had an E-P5 for a while and whilst it's an exquisite camera, the lack of an EVF pushed me to sell it. However, if you're ok with a separate VF, then I agree that it's pretty much the perfect ILC for travel.

3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    It is a wonderful camera. I've just upgraded to an E-P5 to an E-PL5 instead of buying an E-PL7 and you know instantly it's the right decision.

4. Beautiful camera with an impressive specifications list.

5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I bought the E-P5 as a backup camera to compliment my E-M5 and after a couple of months I realized the camera I always reached for was the E-P5. Sold my E-M5 to get funds for better glass. I don't regret my decision at all. Long live the E-P5!

6. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Oly really hit a home run with theEP-5. It doesn't get as much notice as the EM5 or EM10 but it's every bit as capable and the ergonomics are unbeatable. It's quite the nice machine. I haven't hear much from people who had bad things to say about it besides the lack of built in VF. I went EPL-7 instead for my upgrade but I'd have been exceedingly happy with the EP-5 as well.

7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Yes... the E-P5 is a nice camera!

I let my E-M5 and E-PL5 go, but keeping my E-P5.

E-P5 with VF4 is a nice kit... I love that viewfinder!

It's a shame, though, that the grip can't be made at least a bit fuller... not much to hold onto with the E-P5. A slightly fuller finger hold area in the front would not reduce the compactness of the camera to any significant degree, but would make for a much more secure hold on the camera, especially when larger lenses are used on it.

GX7 is my #1, however.