Some Thoughts on Future Mu-43 Lens Purchases

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Biro, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    As you can see by my signature, I have a reasonably complete :43: kit. Two bodies: the larger and more-versatile G3 and the very-compact and fun E-PM1. Plus, I have a run of zooms and primes from both Panny and Oly that pretty much cover the everything except extreme wide angle.

You'll also notice that I do not own any of the very expensive :43: lenses. In fact, my most expensive lens (all were purchased new) is the Lumix 100-300 and even that was still just under $500. Everything else ran in the $300-350 range or was part of a camera kit.

I am now at a point were I can suspend adding to my :43: kit... or proceed to more expensive glass, starting with the Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux and moving beyond to the $800 range with lenses like Oly's 12mm f/2.0.

But we also have, with the Olympus E-M5, the first :43: camera body with weather-resistant sealing and it appears Panasonic won't be far behind. So this naturally gives me pause.

So my question is - and I'm just thinking aloud here - will ultimately most of us, including me, be purchasing bodies with WR, requiring lenses with the same? Does it make sense to continue picking up existing :43: glass with the current scenario before us? Or is it more likely we'll pick up one or two zooms in the future to take care of our WR needs?

Just my musings here... I'd be interested in learning what the rest of us think.
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    For me, weather sealing is neat, but I have never "needed" it. I don't anticipate that in the future either. But given where m43 is with weather sealing, I just don't see the point in worrying much. No point in waiting for an non-existent weather sealed prime kit personally.

If weather sealing were a primary concern, I don't think I'd be using m43 honestly. I'll take the "gamble" with current lenses, and replace them down the road if appropriate. That 75/1.8 is going to be hard for me to resist =P
  3. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    It's going to be a long time before every good lens is weather sealed. Go for the optics you want now and sell the lenses later (good lenses hold resale value amazingly well) if you find yourself shooting outdoors in Seattle most of the time.

FWIW, the Panny 7-14 is a lot more versatile than the straight 12 and has fantastic IQ. Bigger and heavier, though.